"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be a good idea but you don't have to. I just wear the same coveralls I use for resin/painting. The deal is the little shards, or fibers, can get into your skin and then itch like mad. Usually a hot shower can help get them out, but sometimes it just takes time for your body to push them out, much like it would if you had a small thorn stuck in your foot that broke off. Just be sure to never touch your face, and especially your eyes after working with it! When I'm working with it I've got some swim goggles, a dust mask (for when I'm cutting it,) my respirator (when applying) my coveralls and some nitrile (surgical) gloves. It does get a little bit warm if I'm doing my stuff out in the sun with it all on, but most the time I'm in the shade so it's no big deal. It inevitably gets on me somehow, but it itches less than mosquito bites, at least for me.
is it dangerous to your health at all? and I have vinyl surgical gloves, will those work when I use bondo/fiberglass/fiberglass resin? and I suppose ill just use my respirator while working with everything at this rate lol. and i was just planning on using an old tshirt and jeans, is that enough or do I need to buy something special?

is it dangerous to your health at all? and I have vinyl surgical gloves, will those work when I use bondo/fiberglass/fiberglass resin? and I suppose ill just use my respirator while working with everything at this rate lol. and i was just planning on using an old tshirt and jeans, is that enough or do I need to buy something special?

The fibers in your skin aren't dangerous, just a nuisance. The surgical gloves I believe are fine as long as you aren't letting your hands soak in the resin/bondo. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/7550-The-Complete-Respirator-and-Safety-Guide is a good guide, general info on just about all the stuff you'd be using.

If you use your respirator for everything the cartridges will wear out really quick. I only use mine for chemical stuff like resin, Bondo, and paint. Just having a dust mask will do you well for cutting up the fiberglass and sanding stuff. Also! if you want to extend the life of your cartridges keep them in a ziploc (or any plastic bag) and it'll help them from passively filtering out stuff in the air and wearing them out prematurely. But, if ever you start to be able to smell what your working with, through your respirator, you need to replace your cartridges. That's proven to be a small danger to me, as my sense of smell is gone XD I have to occasionally ask someone to come take a puff through the respirator to make sure the filters are still good.

Resin/bondo won't kill you for looking at it the wrong way, it's just that you want to minimize your exposure to those chemicals as they aren't good for you. An old t-shirt and jeans is great for working with those materials since if you get any resin or bondo on em it's not gonna come off but they're old clothes so it's fine. If you get any on your skin, just use a paper towel soaked in acetone to kind of scrub it off. You should be able to get most of it off, and what you dont get will flake off once it's cured.

The fibers in your skin aren't dangerous, just a nuisance. The surgical gloves I believe are fine as long as you aren't letting your hands soak in the resin/bondo. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/7550-The-Complete-Respirator-and-Safety-Guide is a good guide, general info on just about all the stuff you'd be using.

If you use your respirator for everything the cartridges will wear out really quick. I only use mine for chemical stuff like resin, Bondo, and paint. Just having a dust mask will do you well for cutting up the fiberglass and sanding stuff. Also! if you want to extend the life of your cartridges keep them in a ziploc (or any plastic bag) and it'll help them from passively filtering out stuff in the air and wearing them out prematurely. But, if ever you start to be able to smell what your working with, through your respirator, you need to replace your cartridges. That's proven to be a small danger to me, as my sense of smell is gone XD I have to occasionally ask someone to come take a puff through the respirator to make sure the filters are still good.
O.O did you lose your sense of smell because of the resin???????
and ok, I'll do that for sure~

Resin/bondo won't kill you for looking at it the wrong way, it's just that you want to minimize your exposure to those chemicals as they aren't good for you.

The effects aren't immediate, but it can harm your nervous system and all those kinds of (not) fun stuff. Take all the precautions necessary and you'll be fine :D

@ SpartanGirl
Nope, not the resin! Got sick over the holidays and the virus decided to kill my key nerve, knocking out my sense of smell & taste. Hopefully it can regenerate, but sometimes it doesn't =( I'm hopeful though, maybe in the coming years someone will devise a cure!

Resin/bondo won't kill you for looking at it the wrong way, it's just that you want to minimize your exposure to those chemicals as they aren't good for you. An old t-shirt and jeans is great for working with those materials since if you get any resin or bondo on em it's not gonna come off but they're old clothes so it's fine. If you get any on your skin, just use a paper towel soaked in acetone to kind of scrub it off. You should be able to get most of it off, and what you dont get will flake off once it's cured.
I know about bondo/resin, I was speaking of the fiberglass shards

@Jake D
cant they do some sort of stem cell stuff to regenerate the nerves?

cant they do some sort of stem cell stuff to regenerate the nerves?

It's possible, but my Doc didn't know of anything I could do, and I doubt stemcells are a common procedure ;D

Your skin is an organ too, so try to keep the stuff off it as much as ya can. If some drips onto your arm, no big deal just use a rag with a bit of Acetone to clean it off and no worries. I just wouldn't go bathing in it.

It's possible, but my Doc didn't know of anything I could do, and I doubt stemcells are a common procedure ;D

Your skin is an organ too, so try to keep the stuff off it as much as ya can. If some drips onto your arm, no big deal just use a rag with a bit of Acetone to clean it off and no worries. I just wouldn't go bathing in it.
for the fiberglass shards from the fiberglass mat?

for the fiberglass shards from the fiberglass mat?

I'm talking more about the resin, but the fiberglass fibers too I suppose. Even if they do get into your lung (the fibers) it's not that bad, your body can reject them, whereas with Asbestos it cannot.

I'm talking more about the resin, but the fiberglass fibers too I suppose. Even if they do get into your lung (the fibers) it's not that bad, your body can reject them, whereas with Asbestos it cannot.
alright then~ so ill just use an old tshirt and jeans.
who says I get a justin bieber tshirt from walmart and make it dirty on purpose?

soooo let me see if I got this all correct.
1. use a respirator+goggles when bondo, resining, and painting
2. wear dust mask+goggles when sanding and glassing
3. you dont truly need full body protection when working with fiberglass mat...?

You'll want the dustmask for sanding and cutting the glass, but the respirator for applying it because you'll be using resin.

Other than that, you've got it down!

You'll want the dustmask for sanding and cutting the glass, but the respirator for applying it because you'll be using resin.

Other than that, you've got it down!
ah yes, you're right. in my head I knew that..silly me. guess it came out wrong lol, my bad. gonna start tommarow, finishing up my left shoulder piece tonight, pulling an all night papercrafting and listening to Daft Punk. pure harmony~
this may be a bit off topic but... i'm starting to think my armour is strange lol. I used a Reach Chest Plate and Belt, but all the rest are Halo 3 models (unless I run into problems with the thigh pieces, damn you womaness...) I think it looks cool since I prefer the Reach chest plate to the Halo 3 one but I dont know

soooo let me see if I got this all correct.
1. use a respirator+goggles when bondo, resining, and painting
2. wear dust mask+goggles when sanding and glassing
3. you dont truly need full body protection when working with fiberglass mat...?

Have a look at this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...NzE2Ny00YjNmLTliNDktZDQ3NDc0MTRiY2Y2&hl=en_US

A special full-body suit is never really necessary. You should cover your body while working with chemicals, but old clothes will do. As I said earlier, the dust from sanding and cutting glass is not dangerous via skin contact. It's itchy at most, in the case of glass dust, but unless you are totally careless and throw your glass mat through the air or something like that, most of that dust will land on your hands where you are wearing gloves anyway.

Have a look at this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...NzE2Ny00YjNmLTliNDktZDQ3NDc0MTRiY2Y2&hl=en_US

A special full-body suit is never really necessary. You should cover your body while working with chemicals, but old clothes will do. As I said earlier, the dust from sanding and cutting glass is not dangerous via skin contact. It's itchy at most, in the case of glass dust, but unless you are totally careless and throw your glass mat through the air or something like that, most of that dust will land on your hands where you are wearing gloves anyway.
so wear a full body suit while working with the resin? im not a very clumsy person I dont truly find that necessary.. unless im misunderstanding what your saying. and I remember, I just wanted to double check, safety is key~

@Jake D sure! just stayed up til now finishing up my shoulder piece. all thats left are the forearms, thigh, shins, boots and gloves, which are all pretty small imo~ still need to know how difficult it is to scale the Halo 3 thigh pieces since im a girl...

so wear a full body suit while working with the resin? im not a very clumsy person I dont truly find that necessary.. unless im misunderstanding what your saying. and I remember, I just wanted to double check, safety is key~

Well, as I said:

You should cover your body while working with chemicals, but old clothes will do.

But if you feel better with it, go ahead and wear a painter's suit or something like that.

Well, as I said:

But if you feel better with it, go ahead and wear a painter's suit or something like that.
ahh ok, im sorry I get confused sometimes ^^; thank you very much for the help~ gonna start resin and such today
do I have to take the clothes off immediately after working with them or can I go into my house with them on and take them off in the bathroom or w/e?

I have worked with resin 10+ times and I have only gotten one droplet on my clothes one time, (which is because I work on a grated surface), which I just wiped off with my glove.

I also don't change my clothes after resining at all.

I do however get resin on my wrists and forearms a lot. So sometimes I'll take a pair of old socks, cut the ends off, and use them as forearm sleeves.

But yeah, if you are careful you shouldn't need to change clothes or wear a full suit or anything.

I have worked with resin 10+ times and I have only gotten one droplet on my clothes one time, (which is because I work on a grated surface), which I just wiped off with my glove.

I also don't change my clothes after resining at all.

I do however get resin on my wrists and forearms a lot. So sometimes I'll take a pair of old socks, cut the ends off, and use them as forearm sleeves.

But yeah, if you are careful you shouldn't need to change clothes or wear a full suit or anything.

on your forearms? wow, that sounds annoying,espescially since I dont think I have any acetone..I guess ill just wear an old sweater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back