"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have custom accurate H4 MC Forearm Templates for foam?? Besides Monkeyfuj's or KingRahl's model?? I know I'm asking for a lot here but it would be very helpful!

So after reading all SEVENTEEN PAGES of this thread, I must say I am quite disappointed. I'm not trying to be critical, but most of the time I spent on this thread was reading the same repeated questions and answers. Is there any way we can post a FAQ post at the beginning of this thread? Props to EVAkura and MoHawkMarine for providing great answers and staying patient through the repeat questions. Wanderer TJ: you've had some great thought-provoking questions. Thanks! And finally, props to Ravarkian for his great foam work. Dont think for one second that everyone should use his Noble Six build as a standard for most foam builds.

I've had some cosplay experience over the years with some pepping and ABS (member of the 501st Legion). Although my experience is mostly from non-foam materials, may I be so bold as to offer a few suggestions?

When attaching the finished pieces together, either through velcro attached to the undersuit or strapping, I've had continued success with snaps, velcro, buckles, and webbing. Sometimes having pieces strapped together is an easy way to keep things from slipping while wear. Having a belt made from webbing and snapping the leg pieces to it with webbing and elastic is a great way I've found to keep things together. I prefer not to use velcro because once it wears, its tough to replace. Sometimes the adhesive velcro can easily come off a smooth plastic-like surface.

From what it seems, I'm probably going to use a standard utility knife with razor-sharp blades. I've noticed people lean towards the xacto blades, but I feel my control with the thicker blade will help make cleaner cuts. Matter of preference I guess...

Here's a quick question: I've seen xRobot's tutorial on adding the smooth-on poly to eva pieces with PVA glue. Would be the best way to make the foam durable if I want a purely "plastic" finish? I've never used plasti-dip, but it seems there's a rubbery/shiny finish after using it and I'm not too sure I want the flexibility plasti-dip might have on my armor. I know using a matte paint would help prevent the "sheen," but would it also prevent the "give" and flexibility that plasti-dip seems to have?

Here's a quick question: I've seen xRobot's tutorial on adding the smooth-on poly to eva pieces with PVA glue. Would be the best way to make the foam durable if I want a purely "plastic" finish? I've never used plasti-dip, but it seems there's a rubbery/shiny finish after using it and I'm not too sure I want the flexibility plasti-dip might have on my armor. I know using a matte paint would help prevent the "sheen," but would it also prevent the "give" and flexibility that plasti-dip seems to have?

I have used Envirotex Lite Pour- On Resin to great effect. It made my foam armor have a nice hard surface that was easy to paint on. You need to do it is small batches, at 70 deg F at least in temperature. You paint it on in thin coats. Several thin coats makes a very durable, hard surface, that also can hide minor imperfections in either your build or the foam itself. It takes a few days to fully cure, but when it has done so then it can handle a good bit of abuse.

I have used Envirotex Lite Pour- On Resin to great effect. It made my foam armor have a nice hard surface that was easy to paint on. You need to do it is small batches, at 70 deg F at least in temperature. You paint it on in thin coats. Several thin coats makes a very durable, hard surface, that also can hide minor imperfections in either your build or the foam itself. It takes a few days to fully cure, but when it has done so then it can handle a good bit of abuse.

Thanks for the response! Glad to hear hardening techniques work for someone else.

I did plenty of research on resin and rondo coating when I attempted a pep helmet. Unfortunately, the standard fiberglass resin would be tough given I have very little to work with when it comes to well ventilated heated areas. Hopefully the Smooth On poly resin technique works for matte applications. The "high gloss" finish isn't my ideal vision, but I'll keep it in mind!

Question:
I am newbie at the whole armor building, but I want to start. However, last I checked the pepakura program only works on Windows, not to mention this laptop is not mine in the first place. So I was wondering if I gave a list of the Mk V armor I want to build. Someone would be kind enough to unfold and send the files to my email? Is that to much to ask? Is it even possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question:
I am newbie at the whole armor building, but I want to start. However, last I checked the pepakura program only works on Windows, not to mention this laptop is not mine in the first place. So I was wondering if I gave a list of the Mk V armor I want to build. Someone would be kind enough to unfold and send the files to my email? Is that to much to ask? Is it even possible?

There's a high likelihood the models are already unfolded and available via the 4shared and/or on-site databases. Whether they are unfolded or not, however, you will still need The Pepakura Viewer/Designer program in order to open the files. So if you can't get the program on your computer, the files won't be of any use to you. If you can find someone local to you, or if you're willing to spring for the cost of ink, paper, and postage, you might be able to find someone willing to print out the files you want and send the packets to you (hopefully sorted and labeled so you don't get pieces mixed between models).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thanks for answering my question. I'll search around my area for anyone willing to do this for me. If not I'll just wait until my laptop is fixed.

Hey where can I find blueprints for halo reach armor, I know pep files work but I'm looking for something less complicated

Hey all i am new to the 405th at least posting, i already did my introduction piece in the newbs form. i am on my first build for my odst armor. all cutting is finished need to know which sealent method everyone prefers. i was thinking of using plasti dip? any help would be great

Hey all!
Random question here... I'm trying to download the files that Caboose vs Grif gave a link to on page 1 for some foam pep files, but they won't DL into my pep designer, they keep opening into a different app and I can't choose another directory...
Anyone else having this problem?

Hey all!
Random question here... I'm trying to download the files that Caboose vs Grif gave a link to on page 1 for some foam pep files, but they won't DL into my pep designer, they keep opening into a different app and I can't choose another directory...
Anyone else having this problem?

After you've downloaded the files onto your computer. Open the pep designer then go File > Open... >*pep file directory*. Its not a common file format so your computer doesn't really know what to do with it!

I am not sure if this would go in this category, but I am going to be making a halo 4 odst foam costume but I don't know how to size it. Could someone help if they would be so kind?

I am not sure if this would go in this category, but I am going to be making a halo 4 odst foam costume but I don't know how to size it. Could someone help if they would be so kind?

Coldadamantium is correct on the lines of using a pep file to do it.

If you are scratch building, however, I like to make cardboard templates/rough shapes to get an idea for scale. Cardboard is free for the most part, amd you can easily hold up parts while looking in the mirror to see if they appear to be the correct size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back