"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started working with foam recently and when it came time for painting, I did something wrong. I don't know if I used too many coats or maybe it was the silver base coat I used, but the paint is cracking. I stopped putting the silver layer on the other parts and the paint doesn't Crack anymore. So my question is, is there a way to remove the paint that is cracking and repaint the parts? Or do it have to make a whole new part?

use a fine grit sand paper to remove it then spray a few layers of plasti-dip over the part and get even coats the primer and paint. plus when it comes to foam, spend the money to get an airbrush. airbrush paint wont crack when the foam flexes. I got one a few years back and its the best purchase I made! but that all my opinion

I am on the part on were I need to cut it out but I don't know if it would be easier to trace the pieces or just cut around them or some other method. So if I could have some help it would be much appreciated.

I usually trace the templates and then cut the foam. It would be a little time consuming if you accidentally cut a template while cutting.

Hi all! ive done the pepakura method before but i was interested in trying the foam route, so far i have an exacto knife, and i have this somewhat thick foam i got in a pack for 20 dollars at walmart about half a year ago, was wondering what foam am i looking for exactly size wise? ive seen examples of others armor and how they will have mostly grey looking foam armor but also have a thinner colored layer, was also wondering if hot glue is good to use. thanks!

I also intend on making reach armor

Hi all! ive done the pepakura method before but i was interested in trying the foam route, so far i have an exacto knife, and i have this somewhat thick foam i got in a pack for 20 dollars at walmart about half a year ago, was wondering what foam am i looking for exactly size wise? ive seen examples of others armor and how they will have mostly grey looking foam armor but also have a thinner colored layer, was also wondering if hot glue is good to use. thanks!

I also intend on making reach armor

Hi! So that thicker foam you purchased is a pack of floor mats with the puzzle shaped edges, correct? That's the stuff you will want to use to make the base of all your armor parts. The thinner layers you see people using are generally craft foam. Craft foam is identical in composition to those floor mats (aka eva foam), and you can find it in 2 and 6mm thicknesses at various hobby stores and potentially larger stores like wal mart. Hot glue is great for gluing foam together, though I'd you are dealing with the 2mm craft foam, contact cement will serve you far better, as it does not leave any bumps or waves in the foam.

Make sure you have lots of spare exacto blades handy, or a way to sharpen them quickly. Foam will dull them extremely quickly! I personally just use the flat razor blades you can get from home depot in packs of 100 for about $12. I went through 400 blades on my build, always replacing them as soon as they start to catch or tear the foam.

Awesome! Thank you phil! And yes youre correct about what foam i bought, ill let you know the progress on my build if you like

Help! I got started on my reach torso and was wondering how to glue the pieces together accurately, what i mean is how to cut it angled perfectly, ive tried using my xacto knife but it makes very jagged cuts

Help! I got started on my reach torso and was wondering how to glue the pieces together accurately, what i mean is how to cut it angled perfectly, ive tried using my xacto knife but it makes very jagged cuts

If your blade is making jagged cuts, swap out the blade for a new one every time you notice the blade start to dull. If you're like me, you could also buy a sharpening stone to save money on buying hundreds of blades. sharper blades also make the angles easier to cut evenly.

I don't know how to make anything from foam, I need to know how to make the outfit, how to make a template, what foam to use, how to size it. How to get it to stay together, and how to cut it. I'd very much appreciate any help I can get

I don't know how to make anything from foam, I need to know how to make the outfit, how to make a template, what foam to use, how to size it. How to get it to stay together, and how to cut it. I'd very much appreciate any help I can get

You're gonna need to do LOTS of research Gordan...this site has a TON of helpful threads for beginners like yourself. you'll usually find them stickied at the top of a certain board (like the New Recruits board). Do yourself a favor & put in some time looking thru those threads & then once you've done that, go thru them again, then if you still have questions, we are here to help & guide you to building your own set of armor.

Good luck bud!

Hello Spartan X. You can find some pepakura foam files in the file archive. Reach has many foam templates.

My question: iam currently working on a foam armor... its my first armor project... and with the torso i have some scaling issues. you see the front seems to have the correct width, but its far to deep. i have lots of space arround the torso. i thought it would help to tighten up if i cut a V at the marked lines... would this be the right way to solve the problem or will it break the chestpiece?

20151108_1530332.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back