Help: From Maya to Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWBreaker

My roommate KWStreetfighter has been a member of the forums for a long time and i am just now joining so as to not continue my vicarious posting through him. We are starting work on our "badass halo-style" megaman and zero armors, but are running into some issues at the modelling stage.

For some reason, i hope someone might know why, when i bring my OBJ from Maya to Pepakura there is an issue where some of the faces are inside out while others are fine, and because of this, i cannot fix it, only invert the issue. I have costructed the OBJ out of 8 seperate meshes that have been combined into one and the normals are all correct, but as it comes into pep the faces are all kinds of wonky. Thanks for the help guys, keep up the great work.

you need to flip your normals to the same position. I guess you never textured? :)

OKAY, JK. Figured it out while i was finishing the forum post. But for anyone having a similar issue, with multiple meshes combining to one and then exporting as an obj. All i did was, before i combined the various meshes, i went to all of the seperate meshes that were wrong when i opened it in PEP and reversed all of their normals (Normals>Reverse), and even though it was wrong from what it should have been, when i combined all of the meshes to become 1 all of the normals were fixed and it went into pep without a hitch. I will help answer any other questions that people might find as per my knowledge of 3D applications and modelling.

These instructions apply to Maya 2010, but i can't see why the same theory might not also be applicable in other programs. Thank you very much for your support.

I have textured, but the funny thing was that they were all correct and the only way to make them work when i brought it to pep was to actually make the normals WRONG. . . don't ask me why it worked, it just did lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back