Help Me Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

garth

Jr Member
My dad signed me up for an introduction to studio drawing course for the first half of the summer session at IU. I can't draw and the class is 4 hours a day 4 days a week. Any advice for this? I'll try to get some work up soon too.

garth said:
My dad signed me up for an introduction to studio drawing course for the first half of the summer session at IU. I can't draw and the class is 4 hours a day 4 days a week. Any advice for this? I'll try to get some work up soon too.

Just keep drawing.. That's all there is too it.

Also Have good concentration. I tend to draw a LOT better when I pay more attention to. Prospective, shadows, lighting, proportions ect. ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take graphic design for college, and we do take an illustration course and the instructors advise is really simple;
Work at your own pace, don't worry about others, and keep trying, and to always be 100% open to critiques of your work, as they tend to be exceptionally good when it comes to improving.

Luckey... I would do anything to get into one of those activities...

Just keep drawing. When your hand/wrist hurts, the cure it more drawing. Eventually, you will have some serious skills by the end of this.

CHEERS!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Luckey... I would do anything to get into one of those activities...

Just keep drawing. When your hand/wrist hurts, the cure it more drawing. Eventually, you will have some serious skills by the end of this.

CHEERS!

This is quite possibly the best advice you can get, some people are born with the ability to draw really well, but a lot of people have learned how to do it. Dont get frustrated if your drawings are not very good at first just keep drawing and over time you will find that you start to develop your own style.

Another good exercise is to get a picture and copy it, dont trace it! just put it near you and try to copy everything in it to the best of your ability. Once you are able to copy something you can see with some skill you will find it easy to draw the image you have in your head.

Last edited by a moderator:
just do what Angelo and I do. put off everything important that you should be doing and just draw super detailed halo picture for hours. I have a whole pile of those. Im taking drawing next year too.

I'm in art school right now trying to get my BFA. I had to take a year of drawing to fulfill part of my freshmen foundation requirements and I still can't draw to save my life. I work in metal because I can do that as easy as breathing. Drawing takes practice but it also takes a ridiculous amount of talent to get good at it. If you can't draw, maybe there's some other medium that you can work with like clay or wood.

Also, remember that drawing in it's traditional sense is flat 2D on some type of paper or thick cardboard material... but that's the traditional way only. There are ways to draw that incorporates the third dimension into your work like incorporating pipes, hoses, embroidery, wood, cardboard or cardstock structures, etc. You may even be able to incorporate pep work into it if you do it right.

EDIT: Or maybe drawing something on a canvas that isn't flat, a spherical or polyhedral surface that stretches out of the wall.

to hong my own horn im better than anybodyelse in my grade as far as drawing. but its all a matter of shapes.... simple shapes. when drawing a face its a oval.... you have to lay down simple shapes and build on them instead of jumping in on drawing a pic.... i suggest this to tons of kids some use the advice and see improvement, other dont and stay on the same progress level as before... best of luck and have fun... please do post some pics up. here are some of my work

FLT0YU6FIDCX5TP.MEDIUM.jpg

FIDPP8WFIDCX5TR.MEDIUM.jpg

FK8OTS5FIDCX5TQ.MEDIUM.jpg

sorry for the sideways pics

wow slim you are good. and like everyone else says just keep practicing i started off drawing ninja turtles when i was in like 1 grade so i have been doing it for like 22 years now and still cant do it all. my wife is amazing portrait artest and she is self taught

you said your dad signed you up, is he trying to push you into drawing or did you just not know what you were going to do? well, just give it your all and never do exactly what another person tells you to do in an assignment, if you do then you've gone and taken the art from it. Attend your classes and grin and bear it, especially if you're not paying out of pocket for this...if your father is paying then don't complain just revel in the finish of your work when you have finished an assignment be proud of the work your did that is what I do in TaeKwonDo, i signed a 3 year contract and my mom ended up doing some work that paid for that contract and my tests up to my black belt... I have worked hard and reveled in the accomplishments my body has been able to accomplish. be sure to try to do the same in your drawing class. that is what you should do.

If its an introduction on drawing shouldn't they be teaching you to draw?
I'm doing Visual communication this year, which requires a lot of drawing, Personally i sucks at drawing, but a friend of mine pointed out that a lot of designers are worse than me, everyone just has their particular style, even if it seems messy.

I think the key thing to succeeding in art is to make sure you like what you are doing. So when you draw, just have fun and let it all go.

(In the same thought as p0rtalman ^^) the class should teach you what you want to know, so don't worry about what skills you bring to the table.

Just bring all your materials and don't get frustrated! Practice in your spare time and you'll see major improvement.

I remember one of the more helpful exercises is to do 'gestures'. Pretty much, you take a figure draw it very generalized and fast. Quick movements, no erasing. It gets you used to loosening up and not being afraid to just visualize and go with it. Some times teachers use stuff like this as a warm up.

Gesture-drawing.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone. I still can't find a camera, but I will keep all your comments in mind. Nice deadpool pic slimguy.

Really just follow the golden rule of every art "practice makes perfect". I look back at the same stuff I published in the e-zine last year and I am disgusted in comparison with all the practice I got in over the last year. Vex offered some wise advice on the drawing warm-up. I know a few more, there's an artist I secrtly follow who posts everything from his drawing exercises to finished product and should give you a better insight on how a "professional" approaches a project. Check this guy out: http://gorillaartfare.com/author/bjorn-hurri/ he does amazing stuff plus has a few drawing exercises along the way. People at work beware, link contains one or two artistic painted nudes but it's all great stuff. Some of you might remember him for his legendary Steampunk Starwars drawings which also show a great representation of how to shade and color things. Hope that helps, good luck and keep the pen/pencil to the paper and have fun.

Cheers,
Kensai

Here they are. Any suggestions?
[attachment=9406:DSC00132.JPG][attachment=9407:DSC00133.JPG][attachment=9408:DSC
0134.JPG][attachment=9409:DSC00135.JPG][attachment=9410:DSC00136.JPG][attachment
9411:DSC00137.JPG]

All I can say is the talents there you just have to find your niche and clean off all the dust to reveal it. I my father was a amazing self taught wildlife artist but I cannot draw a animal to save my arse. Although during one of the many years in art classes I noticed I tend to draw the female form much better than anything else. So starting with pencil I practiced till I could sketch out a rough draft in a couple of min and a finished piece in a day or so. Then I started working into pastels and pen and ink, the main thing is work on it find what your good at and practice. I have a friend who was terrible at still life and surreal but excelled in animation style art she is now a artist on the imagineers team for Disney.

A few of my older pieces mixed media (Do you see a theme here)LOL.

13.jpg

8.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

Sorry for the quality I scanned them a few years ago to try and keep them from fading to nothingness word to the wise use stable acid free paper for your art otherwise you run the risk of loosing it the chick with the gum was on typing paper and after several years the paper is starting to brown and detiriorate(sp)?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back