Help Me With My Xmas Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ItsTRENT said:
Goodbye 405th...... *death*

Write a letter to Super O.. Cuz santa probably will have to redistribute his toys to both good AND bad kids from now on.

Seriously. I "sometimes" managed to get gifts I "needed".
Stuff like socks and t-shirts.. That's stuff you "need"

A laptop / camcorder, is stuff you want. And no one "has" to give it to you.
Anytime I got something I wanted, I had to pay for it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
same here im only 14 but mostly i get clothes and with the money i earned working over the winter and summer i buy something i want. except this year my parents are getting me an airsoft gun :D

The Stig said:
Yeah, you should really consider using your money on your family, not yourself.

You want a Camcorder AND a laptop?

AND MORE?

So you're raising cash, to buy yourself more stuff. You need to think about your family, if they're willing to buy you a laptop and a camcorder, maybe you should return the favor by getting them something nice.

Its not all about your age, I'm 14, and I don't even want a present, having a healthy and living family is enough for me. I don't need ridiculous gadgets. I'm also saving up alot of cash for OTHER PEOPLE, not me. I bought my 16 year old brother a brand new Xbox. And i don't even need anything in return, you should think about other people, not just yourself.

I'll be doing this Christmas without any presents, see what I care? Maybe you should try it.

Good man right here. Take his advice man.
The best gift of course, is the gift of giving and having a good family (Mine isn't the best, but my Mother, my older brother and I stick together after all the stuff my father has put us through.)

Please, be thankful that you get to have a Christmas. I've always been lucky enough to have one, but I know people who haven't. It's very sad. :'(

I'm not saying that wanting a Laptop, Camcorder, Whateverthehellelse, for Christmas is a bad thing, just that you should think about what you really NEED and what you want. ;)

Making money can be kinda hard, when you're not legally old enough to have a job. Shoveling snow in the Winter/mowing in the Summer is probably the best way.

ItsTRENT said:
Goodbye 405th...... *death*

Trent, don't give up hope. There's always hope. I don't think you reached out to the forum as an act of being spoiled. Nobody knows your specific circumstances. You want a camera and a computer to do some creative work. Maybe that's a wonderful outlet - rather than harming people, or stealing things, or doing drugs. You recognize your family is experiencing hard times - like so many of us, so you want to acquire these things as a way of letting everyone win. It's hard to have such inspiration when you are twelve and feeling so powerless - but still wanting to enjoy things in life. I think there's something very young in that...but very noble also.

Christmas means something different to each of us. Maybe that camera would serve a variety of uses - like capturing pictures of your family on such a special day. There's a lot of truth in the fact that having your own channel on YouTube may not get the response you envision, but there's always hope.

Take your time and go back and read the responses posted. There's a lot of really great recommendations. Maybe you could acquire a very affordable digital camera that has the ability to record videos with sound. Lots of cellphones have this ability too. Computers are available at most public libraries. Look into that. Partner up with your friends to share the burden of this endeavor. Maybe someone in your circle of friends is more blessed with at least one resource. You could even see if there's a ReUseIt network in your area (Atlanta - most definately). The ReUseIt network is made up of regular people that offer to donate items that they no longer need as a way of preventing them from becoming landfill. We're members and as an example, we've donated computers, clothing, books, etc...even a bread maker. (You wouldn't believe the healthy response I got when I made a request for items for our armor - awesome community - really - look into it). You have a lot of options, some easier than others, but whatever you do - don't give up hope. I wish you the best!

Jesus guys, this kid is 12 and wants to EARN his keep here, I say we support him by giving him ideas instead of cutting him down.

Anyway, when I was 12 I'd make extra money to spend at REI by mowing lawns, raking leaves, and shoveling snow. Manual labor is probably the only way to go right now without getting involved in a child labor lawsuit. Go to a rich neighborhood and ask to shovel snow for like $20/driveway, or if it isn't snowing, $100 to rake their yard. Besides earning the money it'll help you build muscle which'll make you smooth with the ladies :D. Works out both ways.

Other than this, there's really nothing else you can do besides setting up a lemonade stand out on the corner for cancer research, and then keeping all the profits for buying this laptop. Not a very honorable route to go but everyone is doing whatever they can to make a buck this day in age.

ERADICATORofDTH said:
You could always break your arm in Wal-Mart and hope for some money from a lawsuit!

Just make sure there are plenty of witness, because Walmart will screw you over. :p

As for the things you want, beggars can't be choosers, remember that. I agree with what another person said, and try the used route. Pawn shops, friends, ebay, whatever. You can sometimes find great deals, and even used, if treated properly will last just as long as a new one.

Maybe even settle for one now. For example, you must have a computer of some type right now, so just go with the camera. I can tell you right now, the camera will be cheaper than a decent laptop any day. Hell, I got a camcorder from walmart for around $300. Watch their sales and discount items around this time of year. Red tags are your friend.

As for raising the cash itself, like others have said; shoveling snow, raking leaves, scraping windows (brother actually made a few bucks doing this for neighbors.) Are you good in school? Offer tutoring lessons.

Just figure out your priorities and go from there. It'll make everything a heck of a lot easier.

CPU64 said:
Write a letter to Super O.. Cuz santa probably will have to redistribute his toys to both good AND bad kids from now on.
That is HILARIOUS! :lol:

You could get a flyer route... There should be quite a few out there because it is winter now. It will be difficult but you should be able to earn a few bucks. Also Dairy Queen hires Kids quite young. If you look older then you have better chance of being hired... Lol, I looked 16-18 yrs old when I was about ur age.... thats how i got so many jobs : P

CPU64 has a point. they are things you want not need. We all want things that we think will help our lives in some major way, but after a while it gets old and you never want to use it/ never have nothing to do with it. Thats how Iam with a fish tank I got earlier this year. Now Iam going to sell it once it gets warmer or before it snows like crazy.

Point is, at 12, you want everything, and but think you need everything as well. Iam 22. and I sometimes act 12. I know how it goes.

seriously your 12 your about to go through this thing us 15 year olds call hell A.K.A growth spurts

you will go from size small t-shirts to wearing your dads clothes. the fact that my dads 40, im 15 and i have outgrown his shoes means that last year guess what my present was, damn right shoes and guess what, i was damn happy. and i NEEDED them due to the fact that i was a size 10 1/2 wearing size 9 1/2 shoes at the time. americas economy sucks atm. nothing is cheap for anyone, the fact that people in china make you these things for a bowl of rice and 10 cents and they're extremly gratefull, you say you need a laptop and a camcorder, the people who make these necesitties are starving themselves to feed their kids. and also your obviously on a computer casue your talking on a forum, why not get a cheap ass $200 camcorder, better yet why dont your freinds help you pay for 1.

Americas "me" society needs to be more of a "we" society any way.

iizahsum said:
americas economy sucks atm. nothing is cheap for anyone

I disagree, prices are way down (especially gasoline), and stores are being forced to make deep discounts to keep sales up. Definitely a buyers' market. Sure the gov't is going to be bailing itself out soon but those morons in DC rarely get anything right anyway.

iizahsum said:
prices may be down but stocks, jobs, and paychecks are down too.
CPI is down about 1% whereas salaries have remained pretty much constant.

Yes jobs are being cut, though obviously if you've lost your job that puts you pretty much out of the question. Stay in demand and you won't have to worry about a thing. I'm a drummer, but if I was laid off I could go work in IT, construction, etc. Some people know one thing and stay with it their whole lives. Specialization is for insects. Not too many steam engine operators around anymore ;)

Stocks are a bit more interesting, I would argue that they have been artificially inflated in the recent years through debt and lousy bookkeeping. An economics prof at school said "I'm not even looking anymore, I'd rather be happy". Obviously a lot of 401k's and other plans of that sort have had a heavy-duty wrench thrown in, and nobody saw it coming. I've got a bit of cash in the checking account (nothing else) and I still have a job, so I can't complain :)

Ok i think we are getting a bit off topic here goin on about the economy, which by the way does absolutely suck.
But i think we can all stop telling him he doesnt need these things because at least 20 people have done that already and i think he gets the point that others have it worse off.

I am only a little older than you and i have my own laptop but i didnt make my parents pay for it. I payed for every penny of it myself (well i got like $100 off by ordering through my dads work). I saved up money i got from people for christmas and my birthday and doing chores and stuff. Another excellent way to make money is ebay, sell you old toys chances are people will buy them.

And i will just say i agree you dont need a computer if you already have one and you dont need a 1000 dollar video camera to shoot movies get a cheap used one. And also if you are doing this with our friends then why are you buying everything? Your friends can lend a camera to the group or all of you can pool your money, $300 can feel like nothing if you divide it by five.

yeah also have a garage sale youd be suprised what people will buy, when i was 8 some guy bought every yellow toy i owned and that gave me about $38, $38 just off yellow toys.

timecon said:
go door to door selling NO SOLICTING signs, its great fun and people will buy them

thats a great IDEA!! im going to Japan for a mission trip....i just might use that one......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back