[HELP] Some questions about building a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

X3MCHP

Hello!
I'm new in this forum, and in Pepakura models also. I have a few questions about a helmet I'm working on...
First of all, I build a test model (an Iron Man helmet) as my first project in common paper, and since it came out pretty well for my first time, I want to continue with it and keep it.
I was thinking about hardening it, because the paper is too thin, so I was thinking about paper mache for the work. I used scotch tape in some parts, and after that, I read about avoiding the use of scotch tape, because the resin will kill it, so I wanted to know what happens if I use paper mache instead of applying resin.
Also, I wanted to know if paper mache can be sanded, because I think it's going to be kinda rough when dry, and I want to paint it...
I Hope that someone could help me, and if anybody has any ohter tip for me, it will be very useful...
Thanks in advance...

Matías, from Chile

PS: If I made any mistake in grammar and/or spelling, sorry but english is not my mother language...

Thanks!

Welcome!

I am new here as well. But I have been making things for a while now and all I can say is don't use paper mache. Run out to a Walmart or Dollar store and get yourself a brand new Glue gun. Glue all your folds together, don't use tape. Then you can apply your resin.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for your help... I was thinking about that, but I glued it with rubber cement (don't know if its called that way in english). What can I use for the paper to be harder and for hiding the scotch tape, before applying the resin... And, what can I use instead of the resin and the bondo ?

You should be able to harden your model with solvent-free resins without damaging the tape. The bigger problem is probably the paper itself though; it'll soak up the resin and most likely warp rather badly. I've heard of using some sort of spray-on clear coat to seal the paper first, but I'm not sure how this works out in the end, since you're also applying pressure when brushing on the resin. That alone will probably lead to damage. My suggestion would be to start over with cardstock and use a different glue.

You should be able to harden your model with solvent-free resins without damaging the tape. The bigger problem is probably the paper itself though; it'll soak up the resin and most likely warp rather badly. I've heard of using some sort of spray-on clear coat to seal the paper first, but I'm not sure how this works out in the end, since you're also applying pressure when brushing on the resin. That alone will probably lead to damage. My suggestion would be to start over with cardstock and use a different glue.

I agree, get yourself some card stock and a glue gun first!

Good luck!

Updating here...
Since I didn't know where to buy resin and fiberglassing, I continue with my project adding paper maché to it... Yeah, I know I didn't hear your advices, but I wanted to continue with this... And it was a total failure... I put paper maché on my build, and it warped like hell, then I thought paper mache was too wet, so I put it in the oven.. and gues what ?... It burned!
So... I'm here... With nothing in my hands because of being hasty... And I have a few questions...
I was thinking on build my second helm in this material

13331.jpg

This is a cardboard that is made from mashed paper and glue (in Chile it's called Cartón Piedra, but I don't know how do you call it in english). It has 1.5 milimeters of thickness. Is it useful, or should I have to use something thinner ?
I was thinking about a cardboard that has one side white, and the other one brown (in Chile it's called Cartón forrado), and that comes in various thicknesses... Which one is better ?

Thanks in advance, and I hope someone can help me... ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back