Help, White Hardening Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboHeart

Hey guys, I constantly looked and looked for the post about a substitute to the fiberglass resin sheets. It made the inside of a helmet look white and very neat plastic and supposedly cheaper and easier. Does anyone recall or know what it is?

Im guessing your talking about Rondo or Smooth Cast 320 (not 100% on the number)

-Loki

Last edited by a moderator:
Loki is right on the money, people started using the same casting resin's that are use to make the casts from molds instead of adding fiberglass mat on the inside of their pepped items. Not only did it take less time to do but it also gave you the needed strength and durability for a good base. Also since there trial kits of some casting resin's this can be a relatively cheap way to reinforce your pepped items but it depends on where you purchase your casting resin's from. Hope this helped.

ContractKiller said:
Loki is right on the money, people started using the same casting resin's that are use to make the casts from molds instead of adding fiberglass mat on the inside of their pepped items. Not only did it take less time to do but it also gave you the needed strength and durability for a good base. Also since there trial kits of some casting resin's this can be a relatively cheap way to reinforce your pepped items but it depends on where you purchase your casting resin's from. Hope this helped.

I think that buying trial kits to do a whole outfit is probably a bit uneconomical --- I know with Smooth Cast 300 you get a cheaper price per ounce as you purchase larger volumes. However, the trial kit may be an economical way of testing out the method to see if you like it before committing to a one gallon kit.

That being said, I recall reading discussions here about using Smooth Cast 300, Smooth Cast 320, and the casting resin at jgreer.com. I've only used Smooth Cast 300 but it's my understanding that the 300 & 320 are very similar products; Smooth On markets SC320 as easier to pigment, but the two products have virtually the same specs (compression strength, demold time, viscosity, etc). I havent use the jgreer.com resin, but will probably opt for that next time around since it's a LOT cheaper than the SC300 I used for my Master Chief outfit.

...just my $.02

Yodajammies said:
Jgreer resins are vastly inferior to Smooth-on. I wouldn't recommend using them.

Is it something specific about the product that is inferior, or just in general? I was really hoping to save a bit of money reinforcing pieces for my second build :(

Yes, teletron thanks for the find! Thats exactly what i was looking for, Smoothcast! I am going to do this on my next project =] Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back