Help with Armorsmith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalseShepherd

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post, but its my best guess. I have spent an ungodly amount of time building my Armorsmith model and getting the sizing right. Now when I try to open the file, it gets to 50% and crashes. It would REALLY suck to have to redo all of it. I have checked TheArmoredGarage issues page, and not gotten any help.

My computer is up to date and everything seems to be in order.

Can anyone help me?

I had a similar issue just a couple days ago, i turned my entire pc off and on again, tried it after that and worked fine. I don't know if that will work for you but could be worth a shot?

Your models might also be too high resolution. How many polygons do they have? Also, if you look in Taskmanager assuming you use windows, is the Ram usage climbing until it crashes?

I tried turning off and on again a couple of ways and a couple of times. No luck. I have no clue how many polygons they have - they are just the patterns from the armory so I don't think they are exceptionally hi res. All I know is that it worked with no problem for like 2 months. I think that last week was the last time I used it successfully for my ODST armor, and now it wont open. I did manage to get a screenshot just before the program crashed.
Annotation 2020-07-06 220500.jpg

Based on that, it looks like the GPU gets maxed out. Which I get, except that it worked not that long ago and I haven't made any changes to it (mostly bc I haven't been able to open it). Assuming that's the problem, anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

I tried turning off and on again a couple of ways and a couple of times. No luck. I have no clue how many polygons they have - they are just the patterns from the armory so I don't think they are exceptionally hi res. All I know is that it worked with no problem for like 2 months. I think that last week was the last time I used it successfully for my ODST armor, and now it wont open. I did manage to get a screenshot just before the program crashed.
View attachment 292661

Based on that, it looks like the GPU gets maxed out. Which I get, except that it worked not that long ago and I haven't made any changes to it (mostly bc I haven't been able to open it). Assuming that's the problem, anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

I have no idea how to specifically fix your issue but I would start with the following:

Option A) Do you have a single gpu or both a standalone gpu and an on board card like below?

1594126396969.png

When I had Blender opening up using Nvidia, I found it more lagging than when I opened it up using the on-board Intel one. If you have 2, maybe try assigning the program to open with the other one.

Option B) Find out where your save file is that you created and want to keep,
1) make a backup of it somewhere you can find.
2) uninstall armorsmith
3) run a CCleaner on your registry at least twice in a row (or until it stops detecting anything)
4) restart computer
5) reinstall armorsmith

I have no idea how to specifically fix your issue but I would start with the following:

Option A) Do you have a single gpu or both a standalone gpu and an on board card like below?

View attachment 292667

When I had Blender opening up using Nvidia, I found it more lagging than when I opened it up using the on-board Intel one. If you have 2, maybe try assigning the program to open with the other one.

Option B) Find out where your save file is that you created and want to keep,
1) make a backup of it somewhere you can find.
2) uninstall armorsmith
3) run a CCleaner on your registry at least twice in a row (or until it stops detecting anything)
4) restart computer
5) reinstall armorsmith

Well, I'm running it on my laptop and it's not a gaming laptop. I would assume it only has the onboard GPU. I tried option B twice to no avail. I guess its just too comlicated. I just don't understand why it worked like a week ago and wont load now...

i can't really look this up as I don't have Armorsmith, but I'd assume it saves crashlogs or just logs that might give more insight on why it crashes. I'd assume they would be in the armorsmith appdata folder, but I can't check it.

Well, I'm running it on my laptop and it's not a gaming laptop. I would assume it only has the onboard GPU. I tried option B twice to no avail. I guess its just too comlicated. I just don't understand why it worked like a week ago and wont load now...

So here's a few other choices to think about.
1) find the shortcut to armorsmith on your desktop. Right click it and select Properties at the bottom.
Go to compatibility tab and select run this program mode for and select "Windows 7" or "Vista" try all of them.

I would also select the "run as admin" just in case at the bottom. Select OK and then double click the .exe and report results.

1594388288400.png

2) See if you can get a slightly older version of the app from the place you bought it (e-mail the helpdesk). Clearly there is a bug in this system that isn't jiving with Windows 10.

thanks moe i have windows 10 and was having the same or close to same issues i would try to set my guys messurements up and it would freeze up. tryed what you said and i am waiting to see what the help desk gives me as far as what to do to fix it.

thanks

Do you have another machine at home with windows 7 or something? I'm curious if this problem replicates on that machine.

I have tried all of the above to no success. I only have windows 10 at home unfortunately. Honestly though this is the first issue I have had with it. I think I'm going to try loading it on my desktop (with a bigger and better gpu) and seeing if I can remove some of the parts I have already made of something - make the file not so hard to open. Then save that one back on my laptop.

The only reason it's on my laptop in the first place is bc I work on it alot when things are slow at work.

Apparently my desktop cant open the file either... I think the file is just corrupted or something. My desktop is running an NVIDIA 1070 that should be able to handle this... Also, Armored Garage hasn't gotten back to me about my issue. I will update this thread if I figure anything out or gain any more information. Otherwise, I will let it die.

Thanks for trying folks! I gotta go do some scaling and sizing now...

I'ma go ahead an necro this thread as it is my own. I'm working on getting the SMG scaled and split for printing. I thought I had it scaled, but when I sent the pistol grip to my slicer it looked really big...

Long story short, I do not think I understand how to use armorsmith for scaling 3D print files. I have only ever used it to scale and unfold for pep. How do you save the file after scaling so that it stays the same?

Here's a question for the community:

I have recently had a problem where Armorsmith crashes every time I try to save my work. I have checked and my laptop is more than powerful enough to run the program.

So, example: I had to make a new file for the ODST lower stuff bc I determined that the whole suit was too much for my laptop to handle GPU wise. On that file, I had both thighs and butt and then I added in one shin. I unfolded the shin and spent 3 hours arranging the parts and join/cutting stuff and saved it. No problem. Came back a couple days later and spent another hour getting the pattern ready to print. Went to save and it crashes the program. Open back up, do some more work, try to save, and crash again. Did this several times (over several days) until I was ready to smash my computer into dust. I had tried downloading updates to computer and program, closing all the other programs that were running, restarting computer, all the things I could think of and none of it worked. Reached out to armored garage, to no avail as well. I even deleted all the pieces from the model except the shins and it still crashed on save.

I then opened a new file and imported the shins only. Scaled them and unfolded them. Then saved, and,... it worked. I then spent a couple hours arranging the pieces and getting ready for print. I saved periodically and it worked every time.

So the file that had all the pieces I deleted everything but the shins and it did not work. Then a new file that had only the shins did work. I guess my question is WTF?! Someone with more computer knowledge hopefully can answer why it seems like the files get corrupted or something?

Also I finally printed the pattern and closed the file. When I reopened it my arranging and unfolding process had been completely undone. So, hopefully, the file printed no problem and I dont have to rearrange the whole damn thing again. ANyone have any ideas?

I stopped using it mine was always crashing. Sho I had my buddy look at my computer ro see if it was that he said there are no issues with your computer. So I sent a message to the armor Smith they ask me to up load the newest update that fixed a lot od bugs. But mine still crashes. I guess you can try to up load the newest update might work for you.

WOO! Ok so I think I figured out the problem.

So, whenever I go to load a file in Amorsmith, it takes me by default to C>Proramfiles>armorsmith to find files to load. So, in my infinite wisdom, I created a folder in this section in which I could save my armor files and therefore easily retrieve them. What I recently discovered is that I need administrator permissions to save things in this folder. This detail was blocking me from just saving directly to the folder and instead of giving me an error message that I could interpret, it would just crash. So, I simply moved the armors folder to a different area on my hard drive and suddenly it works. I can save stuff again.

Now, if only I could convince my laptop that I (as the only one who uses this computer) have admin permissions always - things would go smoother.

WOO! Ok so I think I figured out the problem.

So, whenever I go to load a file in Amorsmith, it takes me by default to C>Proramfiles>armorsmith to find files to load. So, in my infinite wisdom, I created a folder in this section in which I could save my armor files and therefore easily retrieve them. What I recently discovered is that I need administrator permissions to save things in this folder. This detail was blocking me from just saving directly to the folder and instead of giving me an error message that I could interpret, it would just crash. So, I simply moved the armors folder to a different area on my hard drive and suddenly it works. I can save stuff again.

Now, if only I could convince my laptop that I (as the only one who uses this computer) have admin permissions always - things would go smoother.
glad it was solved! Armorsmith can be a somewhat of a pain sometimes but reaching out to the creator via email or in the FB group can also really help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back