Hey guys, new to here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFlibble

Hey guys!

I'm open to the idea of cosplaying a spartan, specifically what my Spartan will eventually look like in Halo 5 once I put the effort into getting all the Req points.

Anyhow, as much as I would love to build my own, I don't have the resources nor the time to build my own Argus armour set (better known as Linda's set in the campaign of Halo 5) as well as a sniper rifle prop.
I'm based in the UK, and would like to know if I'm in the right place to get advice for essentially buying my own outfit (commissioning someone else to build it or just asking who I'd need to get into contact with).

If I'm in the wrong place my apologies for the spam.

Cheers!

I'm sure someone will reply with more information, but while you wait, I thought I'd just tell you that no one is going to build an armour set for you. For various reasons.
For a start it'd take a lot of time, and after all that time there's an 80% chance that the armour wont even fit. Not to mention it'd cost you hundreds up to a thousand for someone to do it. You've then got shipping to pay for etc.

It'd cost you a fraction of the price if you just make it yourself. I know you said you don't have much free time, but i highly doubt you'll find someone willing to spend so much time building armour for somebody else. And I doubt you want to spend so much money, either.

I never really see eBay mentioned on here, but as someone who lives in the UK, I find several sellers on eBay supply great quality products for very affordable prices if you do decide to build one yourself.

I think building one would most likely be the best idea in the end of it all, if you could advise as to some of the eBay sources that'd be great! Also completely fresh to making a build, so I would need a fair few sources if I did decide to make my own.

There are a few people who will comission a suit, but it will likely be well over a grand, as raquisite said. As for not having the time to do it, keep in mind that almost anyone you comission to build a suit also works a full time job as well, and won't be able to build it all thay much quicker than you.

I'd be quite willing to make you a foam suit with a fiberglass helmet, but you'd have to wait over a year for it. Judging on the time my previous build took me, let's factor in 450 hours of time. At $25 per hour, (which is quite a bit less than I charge for less precise work, just trying to get some figures on paper here, that puts us at $11,250. Lets add on the $700 or so in materials.... now at $11,950. And it would probably be a good few hundred to ship it to you. As you can see by these figures, this is why it doesn't make financial sense for someone to make you a suit. It would be a matter of selling themselves short to give you a good deal, and that is far more than the average person is willing to spend on a one-off suit.

All of that said, you are on an awesome site with tons of resources and people more than willing to get you started on the right track! I'd recommend reading through tons of build threads on here and see how everyone else created their suits!

Well, I guess it's safe to say it's way out of my price range haha. I'm just really concerned because the Argus helmet looks pretty tricky to build, and figuring out how to build a suit fit for my size would be rather tricky.

But yeah, I do think I will end up making my own suit, the only trouble is space to be able to build it (live in a fairly small apartment so storage for equipment would be rather tough).

Another question I have, even though I'm tall I'm very lanky and would like to pad out the suit to make it look more beefy in terms of muscular structure, but I'm not sure if that would compromise the build or not or even if it's feasible?

Do you have access to an outside area? Like a garden for example? If not, I'd recommend using foam for the build, instead of Pepakura. A lot of the materials required for a suit when doing the pepakura method are quite toxic, and require a well ventilated area.

I'm not able to get out in the open, are there any major differences in terms of quality between a pepakura or foam build?

I'm not able to get out in the open, are there any major differences in terms of quality between a pepakura or foam build?

Yep. At least as far as I'm aware, Pepakura has much more detail and looks better overall when compared to foam. That's not to say that foam builds look bad, though.
There are non-toxic alternatives to the materials used for Pepakura but you'll have to check the prices for yourself. I'd recommend Jesmonite for the resin, as It's a water based non-toxic resin. As far as I'm aware you can use it just like the standard Polyester resin, except you don't need a respirator.

Ah, that's a shame. Is it arguable that one is easier to deal with than another for someone who would be looking for their first build? Another question would be is there any good suppliers you could recommend, as well as good parts and the types I'd need? As for even starting, do you have a link to a thread about fresh starting a new suit? I don't see any Argus layouts at all so I'd have to make everything from new I assume

For the first question; It's down to preference, really. Neither is better or easier, it completely depends on what you prefer. I jumped straight in with Pepakura, obviously made a few mistakes (as you will) but eventually I got more and more experienced and I now prefer and will stick with Pepakura.

Second question: As for suppliers, I can't really recommend any right now. If you search it yourself and shop around I'm sure you'll find the best deal. I did search Jesmonite on eBay and the prices aren't bad, really.

Third: Again, I really think you should spend some time searching this forum for threads that best suit you, and what you need to know right now. This site is full of amazing tutorials and tips in general. There's a search bar at the top left, and on the right of it there's a little plus symbol for 'advanced search' if you click that then in the drop down option for 'keywords' choose 'search titles only' You can narrow the search a bit more. THIS is a good one to get started with your Pepakura.

As for the Argus, That's halo 5 armour right? I'm not entirely sure if anyone has made that for Pepakura, yet. I'll keep an eye out.

Yeah it's a Halo 5 armour, and thanks for the link! I'm sure I can always ask around for any help, I'm sure there's got to be somewhere that I can apply the Pepakura bits and pieces right?

And thanks for the link, I've been looking around a little more and it's insanely useful, when I first thought about it I had no idea of this place. A lot of resources and makes me really pumped to making a suit myself rather than just commissioning someone else.

You are very welcome.
Also, for later on when you start building, I'd recommend using 220Gsm card stock for the paper, A4 sized of course, and UHU Glue for sticking It together. In my experience that's the best glue for doing this kind of work, as it gives you enough time to properly align the folds without hardening, but hardens quick enough to not be waiting.

Great, glad to know I don't have to use hot glue, as for ventilation I have windows near work spaces and could always get a fan so the fumes don't linger (I have good ventilation in my room but can never be too safe!).

As for actually getting a blueprint, I'll probably talk to someone who's experienced with it and would be willing to help out because I feel like that's the part I'd struggle with the most. Do people just get 3D models straight from the game in order to design them?

. Do people just get 3D models straight from the game in order to design them?

Basically, yes. I'm not entirely sure on the whole process but they get the model, edit it a bit in a 3d modelling program (Edits such as lower the poly count, etc) then import it to Pepakura designer and unfold them there.

If you haven't already, you should download Pepakura viewer for free HERE.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware but the site has a built in file archive full of many, many Pepakura files ready to print and build. I quickly checked the halo 5 files and there's not many as of now, but I'm sure people will be quick to fill it.

Yeah I saw this and Argus wasn't done, but seeing as Linda wears the armour herself I'd imagine we'd be seeing it pretty quickly.

As for dimensions, how would I make sure that all the parts fit me? Like what's the process for that? Just downloading a blueprint might make that a bit troublesome

Well you download the file of choice, load it up in Pepakura viewer and choose 2D Menu - Change Scale - Scale Factor. then you can scale it accordingly. This post may help with scaling if you are unsure.

Christ almighty this looks complex as all hell, will definitely take a little while to rap my head around all this.

What's the best measurement to use? Inches or cm?

Nice, think I'll only plan a helmet for now, get that all figured out while I decide on what the body will be, the Argus body looks very strange, especially the arms I think that would be a little too hard for me

If you can, I'd recommend practicing on a simple piece before you jump right in. Maybe a shoulder piece or shin piece. Something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back