Hopefully Ready For Molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainal

Jr Member
Haven't been on here for the longest time. It's way too cold to go outside and work!

Anyways, I've finished my helmet for sometime now and really would like to make molds of it. I've done my research and I think I'm ready.

I'm prepared to buy Rebound 25, Smooth-Cast 300, Plasti-Paste, Sonite Wax, and Thi-Vex II. I'm just unsure if I should get the starter pack or buy them separate and get the gallon of the Rebound and Smooth-Cast. Also, I will be making more than one. Don't worry, money isn't an issue.

Is there anything else I should do or look into before buying these products? Input would be most appreciated.

For something the size of a helmet the starter pack wont be enough for the rubber. You might get by on the resin but it would be a single helmet. I'd get a gallon of each. Hope this helps

Clay is great for making shims when making your mother mold into 2 or 3 parts. Most all the SmoothOn videos use clay and I would highly recommend getting some. Cheap clay will work just fine. The Wax is great stuff too on clay as well. I used the "paper-clip trick" to help make my mold lock together.

Just watch the SmoothOn videos, follow each step and you should be fine.

Yeah, I was going to make it into two parts. Three just seems too tasking. I watched the videos a bazillion times (the music is...soothing) so I should be set.

Hm...wait, paper clip trick?

Oh, and I almost forgot. Since it's cold here in Chicago, do you think I still could work in the garage? It's like 35° yet the videos say something around 70ish.

YamTEKK said:
Perhaps consider setting up some electric heaters to allow it to cure?

Yeah, I have one.

I guess I'll order the supplies either this week or next week and then start working when I get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back