How do cons work? I've never been to one in costume.

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Lieutenant Jaku, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku Well-Known Member

How do they work? Do I just show up in costume and do what I would normally do at a con (looking around at comics and other items for good deals) or do I register as a cosplayer? And then what from there?

Dirtdives likes this.
  2. MGZweis

MGZweis New Member

It depends on where you're going actually and no, you do not need to register as a cosplayer unless you're joining some sort of cosplay competition. Other than that, have fun having people taking photos of you or you taking some selfie with other cosplayers and meeting the same people who also have the same interest as yours. Keep a good confidence and you'll do good.

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

One thing you should always do is, check the cons rules/policies for props. Some have rules regarding certain types of props like firearms or bladed weapons. There are others have outright banned weapon prop all together.

4. Cadet

Cadet Executive Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Every convention works just a little differently, but for the most part, yes, attending a con in costume is just the same as attending a convention not in a costume, doing the things you would normally do like attending panels or browsing the dealers hall, just in a costume and occasionally getting stopped for pictures while doing it.

An important thing to remember is to always plan on changing in your hotel room or the parking lot. I have met some newer members who have had this assumption that all Conventions have special places for people to change into costume and store their personal items. Honestly, I have only ever heard of one convention really doing that for the general public, and it was a very specific convention in Japan. Which also brings up that you will need to be sure you have a place to store your personal items like phone, wallet, keys, and any purchases you make while in costume.

The only difference would be if your Regiment was having an Organized presence at the convention, like having a Fan Table/Recruiting Booth and hosting some panels. Even then, all of that would be organized through your Regimental Command Staff, they will organize shifts of people to cover the table and take volunteers for various activities, but you will still most likely need to purchase your own pass and arrange for your own spot to change, as most conventions do not freely give away passes or space. They are a business after all.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  5. Lieutenant Jaku

Good thing I followed your advice PaiganBoi Baltimore comicon has a strict ban on replica firearms, bladed weapons, and blunt weapons (so basically all weapons) and a ban on prop weapons that aren't foam or soft plastic. I'm really confused about what's ok to take so I'm going to go oddball and just get a skull and weather it.

Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  6. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

The usual way that a convention goes from my experience.

• Wake up early to play Tetris with 2-3 and their costumes to fit into a hatchback.
    • Wait around until the females in the group have their makeup and wigs on. Enjoy coffee.
    • Fly it like you stole it to make up lost time on the highway.
    • Change in a parking lot because cosplayers have no shame.
    • Walk to the convention and freak out the normies. (In Seattle apparently someone was paying attention to me and had to slam on their brakes to not rear end someone)
    • Go to the convention and move slowly through the crowd of people that want photos with you.
    • Attempt to enjoy panels, realize sitting down is difficult.
    • Go to artist alley or the vendor hall, get stopped for pictures and see about a third of artist alley.
    • Pack up the costume and either drive home or to the hotel.
    • Find dinner because coffee and maybe some water is the only food you had today.
    • Sprawl out on the floor and let all aches and pains flow back into the earth through your fingertips.
    • Watch dumb stuff on YouTube while cruising through social media with your friends to see if you can find photos of each other.

7. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

I've never related more to a post than I did with this one. Every bullet point is 100% accurate.

8. PaiganBoi

My son and I got suited up after we got inside the con. :p
    We carried our armour and weapons in garbage bags. After getting onto the con floor we picked a spot close to the washrooms, dumped the contents of our bags and started donning our armour. Our undersuits were just black clothing. Wearing black on that particular hot and sunny day was no fun...:cry::cry:
    One funny moment was while we were getting ready, some dude walks up to us and asks if we were Ultra Marines from Warhammer 40K. :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

9. Lieutenant Jaku

How did you find out about the car thing?
    That last bit seems like every day
    Yes... we are... um... very small ultra Marines.

Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  10. PaiganBoi

I informed the guy that I was an ODST and my son was a Spartan II... he just gave me this look and replied " Oh... Okay... sure...." :eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. TurboCharizard

My favourite has been the woman that ran up to myself and LongShot X in his Master Chief that asked if we were from that video game. We both asked "Halo?". She responded with "No! The other one!". :cautious:

Screeching tires is a bit of a dead giveaway to be honest.

12. PaiganBoi

So Lieutenant Jaku, the lesson to take away from this is be prepared to get compliments on how people like your suit. Rubber neckers who almost get into car accidents and people who have no idea who you are supposed to be but love your costume.

13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

It's great when people walk over to you and not only know about HALO but know your character.....and yes the worst is when they have no clue as to who you are....I just nod my head and yell "YES....YES, I AM"( can't hear me through helmet if I just talk normal)........are you a Transformer?......"Yes, yes I am"........Pacific Rim?........"Yes, yes I am".......and I just move on......

14. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

One of my favorite things to do at a con is stand perfectly still for a few minutes. Pretty soon, people will start saying "Is that a mannequin, or is someone in there?" Wait just a little longer for the perfect moment, when a poor, curious soul gets up close to inspect the "Halo mannequin," then move quickly toward them like you're about to grab them. The resulting look of sheer terror followed by laughter is totally worth it.

15. PaiganBoi

I really need to try that. :devil::devil::devil:

16. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

This works best during Halloween.....Or Hanukkah......depending on your religion.

Lieutenant Jaku and PaiganBoi like this.
  17. Lieutenant Jaku

do people dress up for Hanukkah?
    interesting seems more fun than Christmas then

Dirtdives likes this.
  18. PaiganBoi

I haven't done for a con but, I have done it for Halloween. When I was in High school a friend had the idea to scare kids while they came to the door while trick or treating.
    The Parents would give out the candy and about 4 were dressed in grungy clothes with masks on. We had straw and news paper sticking out of our clothes so we looked like dummies lying around. Once the kid got the candy we would suddenly jump up and start grabbing at the bag moaning/yelling "CANDY!!"
    naturally kid would freak and run.

19. Lieutenant Jaku

thats amazing, I would do it if anyone actually came by my house on Halloween, unfortunately, our driveway is a 1/4 mile long.

Dirtdives likes this.
  20. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

Great way to keep the 1/2 hearted trick-or-treaters away from your house.....

No.....Hanukkah is nothing like Christmas......Christmas is much more festive and you really don't costume up for it....unless your playing Santa for the kids......Or Bad Santa for your significant other.....:rolleyes:.....Hanukkah is the Jewish version of Halloween...... and traditional, the kids would dress up as Kings and Queens...... Now a days, anything goes.

21. marscreature

marscreature New Member

Reading other people's replies makes me appreciate my local con more (Grand Rapids, MI). Since it's become a bigger event, they now set up a side room where only cosplayers can go into and has a "No Photography or Solicitation" sign.
    It has a couple changing booths and a full repair station including a sewing machine, hot glue gun, and soldering iron for free use, they also have some thread, buttons, zippers, and other repair supplies available for use. It's also a place cosplayers can relax and bring food
    food to eat in peace. You still have to keep an eye on your stuff and shouldn't leave anything unattended though.

Also as someone else commented, registering would be for a recruiting booth or if you had a group and wanted to advertise yourself and have someone manning the booth all day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  22. PaiganBoi

:eek::eek::eek: Wow.... A change/rest area for cosplayers is a great idea.
    Fan Expo Toronto just recently started a repair station.

23. Lieutenant Jaku

TurboCharizard was like you said
    I am feeling the after effects and pain.
    Also my hand looks burned due to paint

Dirtdives likes this.
  24. TurboCharizard

During con/commission crunch I just have colourful nails and rainbow spray patterns all over my hands. I started wearing nitrile gloves when airbrushing but that just means that I have a colour on my wrist and forearm only :p

25. DJames

DJames New Member

I've noticed that Supernova in AU has started having repair stations as well which was a godsend for me when my arm piece came apart when I was there. I do think there should be an official place at all cons for cosplayers to rest though.

Sean Anwalt and Lieutenant Jaku like this.