How do cons work? I've never been to one in costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lieutenant Jaku

Sr Member
How do they work? Do I just show up in costume and do what I would normally do at a con (looking around at comics and other items for good deals) or do I register as a cosplayer? And then what from there?

It depends on where you're going actually and no, you do not need to register as a cosplayer unless you're joining some sort of cosplay competition. Other than that, have fun having people taking photos of you or you taking some selfie with other cosplayers and meeting the same people who also have the same interest as yours. Keep a good confidence and you'll do good.

Every convention works just a little differently, but for the most part, yes, attending a con in costume is just the same as attending a convention not in a costume, doing the things you would normally do like attending panels or browsing the dealers hall, just in a costume and occasionally getting stopped for pictures while doing it.

An important thing to remember is to always plan on changing in your hotel room or the parking lot. I have met some newer members who have had this assumption that all Conventions have special places for people to change into costume and store their personal items. Honestly, I have only ever heard of one convention really doing that for the general public, and it was a very specific convention in Japan. Which also brings up that you will need to be sure you have a place to store your personal items like phone, wallet, keys, and any purchases you make while in costume.

The only difference would be if your Regiment was having an Organized presence at the convention, like having a Fan Table/Recruiting Booth and hosting some panels. Even then, all of that would be organized through your Regimental Command Staff, they will organize shifts of people to cover the table and take volunteers for various activities, but you will still most likely need to purchase your own pass and arrange for your own spot to change, as most conventions do not freely give away passes or space. They are a business after all.

Good thing I followed your advice PaiganBoi Baltimore comicon has a strict ban on replica firearms, bladed weapons, and blunt weapons (so basically all weapons) and a ban on prop weapons that aren't foam or soft plastic. I'm really confused about what's ok to take so I'm going to go oddball and just get a skull and weather it.

The usual way that a convention goes from my experience.

• Wake up early to play Tetris with 2-3 and their costumes to fit into a hatchback.
  • Wait around until the females in the group have their makeup and wigs on. Enjoy coffee.
  • Fly it like you stole it to make up lost time on the highway.
  • Change in a parking lot because cosplayers have no shame.
  • Walk to the convention and freak out the normies. (In Seattle apparently someone was paying attention to me and had to slam on their brakes to not rear end someone)
  • Go to the convention and move slowly through the crowd of people that want photos with you.
  • Attempt to enjoy panels, realize sitting down is difficult.
  • Go to artist alley or the vendor hall, get stopped for pictures and see about a third of artist alley.
  • Pack up the costume and either drive home or to the hotel.
  • Find dinner because coffee and maybe some water is the only food you had today.
  • Sprawl out on the floor and let all aches and pains flow back into the earth through your fingertips.
  • Watch dumb stuff on YouTube while cruising through social media with your friends to see if you can find photos of each other.

• Wake up early to play Tetris with 2-3 and their costumes to fit into a hatchback.
  • Wait around until the females in the group have their makeup and wigs on. Enjoy coffee.
  • Fly it like you stole it to make up lost time on the highway.
  • Walk to the convention and freak out the normies. (In Seattle apparently someone was paying attention to me and had to slam on their brakes to not rear end someone)
  • Go to the convention and move slowly through the crowd of people that want photos with you.
  • Attempt to enjoy panels, realize sitting down is difficult.
  • Go to artist alley or the vendor hall, get stopped for pictures and see about a third of artist alley.
  • Pack up the costume and either drive home or to the hotel.
  • Find dinner because coffee and maybe some water is the only food you had today.
  • Sprawl out on the floor and let all aches and pains flow back into the earth through your fingertips.
  • Watch dumb stuff on YouTube while cruising through social media with your friends to see if you can find photos of each other.

I've never related more to a post than I did with this one. Every bullet point is 100% accurate.

My son and I got suited up after we got inside the con. :p
We carried our armour and weapons in garbage bags. After getting onto the con floor we picked a spot close to the washrooms, dumped the contents of our bags and started donning our armour. Our undersuits were just black clothing. Wearing black on that particular hot and sunny day was no fun...:cry::cry:
One funny moment was while we were getting ready, some dude walks up to us and asks if we were Ultra Marines from Warhammer 40K. :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

How did you find out about the car thing?
That last bit seems like every day
One funny moment was while we were getting ready, some dude walks up to us and asks if we were Ultra Marines from Warhammer 40K. :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:
Yes... we are... um... very small ultra Marines.

I informed the guy that I was an ODST and my son was a Spartan II... he just gave me this look and replied " Oh... Okay... sure...." :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My favourite has been the woman that ran up to myself and LongShot X in his Master Chief that asked if we were from that video game. We both asked "Halo?". She responded with "No! The other one!". :cautious:

How did you find out about the car thing?

Screeching tires is a bit of a dead giveaway to be honest.

It's great when people walk over to you and not only know about HALO but know your character.....and yes the worst is when they have no clue as to who you are....I just nod my head and yell "YES....YES, I AM"( can't hear me through helmet if I just talk normal)........are you a Transformer?......"Yes, yes I am"........Pacific Rim?........"Yes, yes I am".......and I just move on......

One of my favorite things to do at a con is stand perfectly still for a few minutes. Pretty soon, people will start saying "Is that a mannequin, or is someone in there?" Wait just a little longer for the perfect moment, when a poor, curious soul gets up close to inspect the "Halo mannequin," then move quickly toward them like you're about to grab them. The resulting look of sheer terror followed by laughter is totally worth it.

One of my favorite things to do at a con is stand perfectly still for a few minutes. Pretty soon, people will start saying "Is that a mannequin, or is someone in there?" Wait just a little longer for the perfect moment, when a poor, curious soul gets up close to inspect the "Halo mannequin," then move quickly toward them like you're about to grab them. The resulting look of sheer terror followed by laughter is totally worth it.
I really need to try that. :devil::devil::devil:

This works best during Halloween.....Or Hanukkah......depending on your religion.
I haven't done for a con but, I have done it for Halloween. When I was in High school a friend had the idea to scare kids while they came to the door while trick or treating.
The Parents would give out the candy and about 4 were dressed in grungy clothes with masks on. We had straw and news paper sticking out of our clothes so we looked like dummies lying around. Once the kid got the candy we would suddenly jump up and start grabbing at the bag moaning/yelling "CANDY!!"
naturally kid would freak and run.

I haven't done for a con but, I have done it for Halloween. A friend had the idea to scare kids while they came to the door while trick or treating.
The Parents would give out the candy and about 4 were dressed in grungy clothes with masks on. We had straw and news paper sticking out of our clothes so we looked like dummies lying around. Once the kid got the candy we would suddenly jump up and start grabbing at the bag moaning/yelling "CANDY!!"
naturally kid would freak and run.
thats amazing, I would do it if anyone actually came by my house on Halloween, unfortunately, our driveway is a 1/4 mile long.

thats amazing, I would do it if anyone actually came by my house on Halloween, unfortunately, our driveway is a 1/4 mile long.

Great way to keep the 1/2 hearted trick-or-treaters away from your house.....

do people dress up for Hanukkah?
interesting seems more fun than Christmas then

No.....Hanukkah is nothing like Christmas......Christmas is much more festive and you really don't costume up for it....unless your playing Santa for the kids......Or Bad Santa for your significant other.....:rolleyes:.....Hanukkah is the Jewish version of Halloween...... and traditional, the kids would dress up as Kings and Queens...... Now a days, anything goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back