How do I convert .pdo to Inventor files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLegend

Jr Member
So I've done some searching on google and the forums, but all I can come up with is how to convert *to* pepakura format. Is there a way to take a pep file and convert it to something like a .ipt that I can use in Autodesk Inventor? I want to modify a file for more detail, then hopefully get my hands on a CNC machine.....

good luck getting a cnc lol better have some goooood cash

ps if you had a cnc why wouldent you just use like the files rigt off of halo

florios said:
good luck getting a cnc lol better have some goooood cash

ps if you had a cnc why wouldent you just use like the files rigt off of halo

1. Not my CNC. I'd be using my connection with a software technician to use a couple of the older units. May be a bit of a wait, but I have time. Eventually I wanna buy a 3D printer, but not aaaaaaanytime soon. Yeah....I know the prices of such things o_O

2. If I had access to the files in Halo, I'd use em. Seeing as I'm not a modder.....or know any modders, I can't get the files now, can I :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Short answer to your question is you can't do it.

I tried to figure this out for a long time as I'm an avid user of Inventor(use it for my job). There is no way to convert .pdo to any file usable by Inventor. Though, usually people create or edit their models in 3DSMax first before converting them to Pep files. The .3ds files are usable in AutoCAD where you can save it in a format usable in Inventor, but I determined it was too much work.

I figured it would be easier to learn a 3D free form modeling program like 3DS Max or Maya(or one of the many others out there) and model the files myself. This seemed easier than trying to convince someone to give me a copy of their 3ds files seeing as it's also somewhat illegal to distribute them.

That's the short and long of it. Barring paying a lot of money for a copy of the files or convincing someone to give you a copy of theirs(which I would not ask anyone to do publicly on this forum), I'm afraid you'll just have to do like everyone else and do the Pep.

Yay! Simple answers are the best :D
....yet sadly, it wasn't what I wished I would hear :p

Oh well, I had a feeling I'd be modeling my own anyway. Better get back to my file then; I have a lot of work ahead of me.

There is no way, pdo is locked so people cant steal the model, they can just build it. The only program which can use .pdo is pepakura anyways.

PDO's can't be converted. Even if they were able to be converted, I don't think you would have the creators permission to use the model. And if you did, then the creator would probably be willing to give you the models.

Short answer: No, you cant.

Long answer: Yes, but to an extent. You can export an pdo file to a .dxf or .bmp, but not an inventor file.

use autocad? you can use that. Use inventor? get a .dwf or .dxf, but not a .pdo.

EDIT: AHEM.....the current export formats for pepakura designer 2.1.7 are as followed:

Single .bmp file
.bmp file per sheet
.eps
.dxf (thats what you want for AutoCAD)
.emf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back