How Do I Convert .skp Files Into .pdo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very simple to do.

Go to "File" then down to "Save". Save the file, then go back to "File", and down to "Export". Then, export it to whereever you would like. The file should export to a KMZ. file. When that happens, go to the document you exported it to, and right click on it. Click "Open >", and then click "Pepakura Designer...". It will open in pepakura.

Remember, you must open it in Pepakura Designer, and you need a Pepakura Password to save it in Pepakura Designer.

Then try what I instructed. Regardless of the method used to make the SKP file into a PDO, you will need a Pepakura Password to save it.

Niether kmz or dae worked for me. do I export as a 3D model or 2D graphic? I used 3D... I'm stumped too.

When I was converting things from .skp to .pdo (I could not find a way for a direct conversion, although I searched through many standalone converters and through some ruby scripts)..I Exported the models in .3ds...opened them in Meta...fixed any error that may have come about due to the file translation and then saved it. Meta files open right up in Pep. Meta took some getting used to but it is fairly easy to understand if you have used that type of modeling software before. Goind straight from .skp to .pdo...well even if you manage to get it into Pep....I had bad experiences with many open edges. Pepakura is really touchy when it comes to edges being connected and what programs it will accept translated data from....also, exporting .skp files into .obj from Sketchup will still leave you with open edges in some areas although you can open that filetype in Pep...You can take the exported .obj files from Sketchup and put them into Meta, but I found that going from .3ds to .mqo was much easier than any of the other ways. There may be more simplier ways out there to do what you are talking about, but I don't know of any. If I missed an easier way...then it just sucks for me...lol..I hope that helps you out in some way.

- SirPalesAlot

Just a quick plug/ informative sketchup7 allows you to save a file as a strait DAE. The KMZ file is just a Google zip, infact rename it ZIP and winzip will open it only to reveal a DAE file. You can use MeshLab to convert the DAE to OBJ. You can also fix most of the "sketchup noise" with that program... though I can't figure it out.

ok

thi gona be a little coplex from egening

download free google skechup norma for free - for modeling things

download google skechup pro (use trail version, 8 hours) - for exporting things

instal both in diferen folder, that they dont overlap, open skechup pro, open yours skp file, pres export 3d, choose obj. done.

open pepakura designer (i recoment to buy a pasvord, its 38 dolars not too much, u gona use designer a lot), open .obj unfold as u like

if u have any questions pleaze ask

kolinrulz said:
hes right how do I turn it into an .obj?

If you do export it into obj. from Sketchup and import it into pepakura that way, you are more than likely going to end up with some open edges that seem almost random. Although the model may look good in Sketchup, the tolerances that it has for the edges are not good enough for pepakura...or at least that is what it makes me think lol. If you have any problems like I did with open edges let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
kolinrulz said:
hes right how do I turn it into an .obj?

Click Export -> 3D model, Then click Export type and scroll down until you get to: OBJ (.obj) Click that, then click export (when you have named it and such.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Google Sketchup 7, which you can download free HERE

THIS IS HOW TO DO IT!!! --you can,t open sketchup (.skp) files with pepakura designer, you have to go to the

file manu and go to save as and then it will ask you what you want to name the file and what type

of file you want to save it as, the default setting is set to sketchup models (.skp) << you have to change this

to the one right below it, which is sketchup virsion 6 (*.skp then reopen the file, and go to the file menu and

export it as a .kmz file (this is the default) then open it with pep designer.

if you have any questions feel free to ask, or if you want me to take screenshots of my computer while doing this, i can do that to.

another thing, i am running windows 7. but that shouldn't affect anything.

this is the google sketchup warehouse < that is a REALLY good place to find stuff.

there are a bunch tutorials on you tube, if you need help on how to model with sketchup, i think it is pretty straight forward.

The one problem that I find with using Sketch up is that you end up with a lot of open edges. When unfolding these open edges, you end up with tabs missing where the edge was. That is easily fixed by making your own tab but it is a small problems. Otherwise, I think there are some great files on the Sketch up 3D warehouse. I'm currently working on an M6 package using Sketch up files as a basis. I had these files transformed for me to OBJ so that I could use them in Metasequoia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back