How Do I Make Good Boots?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this really a good idea? Wouldn't it wear fairly quickly. Last time I tried, I put on less than a block of walking before my craft was ruined.

Easy example, put a strip of duct tape to the bottom of your shoes and walk around. Duct tape should be near gone by the end of the day.

I made my boots out of cardboard and resined it to add strength, you could put rubber on the bottom as well. If you make it out of cardstock and dont add strength to the bottom they will wear out and fall apart extremely quickly.

This sounds odd but I did a test today with tool grip dip (rubber for your hand tools) and placed a thin piece of plywood on the bottom of my boots working so far. Also cut a joint at the ball of your foot if not you look like you have broken feet.

take a look at a pair of running shoes there is a shallow grove for the shoe to flex. When I did this I cut the wood and seamed it with duck tape then put the rubber on you don't need to it just makes my movement feel more natural. Just one of several things I've tried.

Ok the pep boot sole is really just there to help the boot hold the shape till you resin. Most people trim it out and use the pep as a shell over a pair of normall boots. If you are trying to use the pep boot sole as a finished one It will be near impossible to get them to last more than a few hundred yards on rough terrain. Another option is to use the sole pattern from the pep file and cut a new sole from some tougher material thats ridgid and has good abrasion resistance.

As seen here! I used 3/8" thick ridgid PVC and rubber.

PC140308.jpg

P1170163.jpg

P1170162.jpg

Cheers!

ok, but even if one uses pep with a boot under it (that is with the bottom cut out) How do you keep the edges from wearing to fast?

[attachment=8708:p11701.jpg]

[attachment=8709:p11701621.jpg]

That area of my boot is almost solid resin and bondo but there is now a rim of the rubber i used for the tread around the edge.

I bet you could get a sheet of rubber and do that pattern on the bottom. That way you have some gripping tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back