How Do You Make The Resin Smell Inside The Helmet Go Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolguy26

Jr Member
How do you get rid of resin fumes?

My brother fiberglassed his helmet and it turned out fine, but there is still the fume inside the helmet. And he's scared of putting his head in it, he even put baby powder in it. But it still doesn't work. Maybe he put it wrong...

And now I'm about to resin and worried that mine will turn out like his.

what should i do to make the smell go away?

I leave my parts out in the garage to air out. It takes a while but the parts that I have resined do not smell.

With fiberglass, some of the smell never seems to go away. (Ever been on a boat, for example?) If you paint it, the paint may seal in some of the smell, after all the solvents have fully left the paint (1-2 weeks).

Yeah, it probably will. It will more than likely cover the fiberglass up, and reduce the amount of fumes that come from it.

you can try adding vents like what I'm planning to do on my Mark V.

Maybe that will help? That's what I'm hoping because Im having the same problem : (

If it really bothers you a lot, I have an idea you could try. (I have not tried this, it's just an idea.) If you go to paint stores (like Sherwin Williams or Home Depot), they sell a special kind of primer meant for covering up the smell on walls after fires. I don't remember exactly what it's called, but we had a fire in one of our bedrooms once, and you could smell the smoke in the room for months, so we repainted the room with that special paint and it covered the smell up very well. I don't remember it being much more expensive than normal paint.

EDIT: Try something like this http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

yeah .. just leave it outside for a few days .. the smell will be gone . as for the padding, i use hot glue ..works great and no smell ..

you should try both the painting and the went, if you DO put a went into it i recomend getting a smaller computer ventilator and hook it up to a 9 volt battery, maybe throw a swich between for combfort.

I concur... use epoxy, stronger, no smell, less vapor issues... Smooth-On carries both laminating epoxies and casting epoxies... the new EpoxAmite line is very strong and even used for carbon fiber applications...

i had the exact same thing

i left it in the garage for a long time, with a fan

after 2 days the smell was away

Bob

i painted the inside with primer then sealed it with clear coat, with in 2 days the smell was gone.

but then again i do love the smell of fresh fiberglass and bondo in the morning! well, more like afternoon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back