How Do You Not Ruin Brushes During Resining!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Sauce

Jr Member
HELP.

I've done resining and fibreglass on 1 small piece,

and managed to solidify 4 brushes doing so..

I tried using boiling hot water after resining and that didnt do anything.

Advice please 405th?

-Spartan-Sauce

You really can't - you get the same issue with silicone. It's just not worth the hassle. Your best bet is to hit Harbor Freight or Home Depot and buy a bag of cheap disposable brushes. I think the last bag I picked up was around 20 assorted brushes (1" - 2") for like $6-$7. Don't waste expensive paint-grade brushes on stuff like this...

Good Luck!

*EDIT* Sorry - I just saw that you are in the UK. I'm not sure what's available but there ought to be some equivalent product local to you...

Umm either use the cheap like 25cent brushes or AS SOON as your done resining drown them in laquer thinner or denatured alchohol, hope it helps

Four brushes? That's nothing. Expect to use dozens more. They're meant to be used only once. Once the resin starts curing (or harden), the brush is done for. Some might suggest soaking it in MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) but IMO, it's not worth it.

However, if you used 4 brushes just to paint resin on a small area, either you're using too much hardener or that you're working too slowly. On average, I end up using 2-3 brushes to put a single coat of resin on a helmet.

Thanks for the help guys, honestly.

I don't know anywhere that sells cheap arse brushes so I'll go with xxFemaleSpartanxx's idea.

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
What you need is a bottle of acetone - it dissolves the resin and you can keep re-using the same brush. Check out my last article for the Source...more info on there! :]

http://405th.com/?p=1827

Any advice to where I could get Acetone?

I can't buy online either btw,

Thanks again,

-Spartan-Sauce

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan-Sauce said:
Any advice to where I could get Acetone?

I can't buy online either btw,

Paint section of the hardware store or from stores that sell nail polish.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh - some more british flavoured answers

I used to buy cheap brushes, but seems the cheapo ones are goign. B&Q used to do 5 brushes for £2, and some old style hardware stores still sell a brush for abt 30-45p

acetone used to be in lots of nail polish removers, but checkin out tesco's there are lots of acetone free options available - so becareful wot you buy!

if u are looking for pure acetone - it wont be in the big commercial DIY places like B&Q or Focus etc.

you basically need to go to an old fashion hardware store or look at places that supply fibreglass

depends on where u live, I am in North East England and go to this type of place: http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/

go to your yellow pages and look up a local fibreglass supplier (resin and csm will be cheaper too!), alterntively, boat repair or pond builders yard etc

hope that was helpful.

I'd suggest find a pound store, they'll have 4-5 brushes for a pound. But make sure you get either plastic handle or plain wood, don't get ones with paint on them as it'll disolve in the resin.

As xxFemale Spartanxx said, acetone is your solution. Any hardware store has it and it is a main ingredient in most nail polish removers. Be careful as to what container you use to keep it in though, the resin it eats off will still melt plastic cups and what not.

I kept mine in a butter tub actually. What I did was drop the brush in it when I was done using it and I would keep a bit of aluminum foil over the whole thing. You could do what I did eventually after I got a little smarter. I kept a smaller butter tub inside a much larger one that had a lid. The smaller inside tub held the acetone, the outter one kept it from evaporating. When you are done with the brush, stick it in the acetone for a while. When its been in there for like an hour take a napkin and brush the brush along it to clean out most of the excess resin. When youare done go ahead and rinse it off. When it dries you will be able to use it again.

Problem is brushes are only good for 2 maybe 3 times then they are trash.

It never did eat through the butter tub. Eventually you will get a lot of gelly in the bottom of the butter tub. Take a napkin and pour it out over the napkin, make sure you are wearing gloves. With any luck the napkin will catch all the jelly resin and the acetone will run off onto the floor of your garage or wherever you are at. Refill the butter tub with new acetone and you are good to go.

I've had a lot of pep success in the past with those black foam brushes. They don't perform as well as actual bristle brushes, but they are super cheap and you can get about 20 of em for a buck or two. Only thing you have to be careful of is that the resin will dissolve these brushes with a quickness.

What I use is those foam brushes. They are great for applying resin. I get like 40 of them for around 3 dollars at hobby lobby sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back