How long does silicone rubber last in the bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddychan

Hey 405th members,

I was wondering if I used a small amount of smooth-on silicone rubber, and closed up the bottles and let them sit, would the bottles last forever? or would they go bad after some time?
I want to buy some silicone to make a mold, but I'm debating wither its worth it or not, because I don't have a lot of things to mold, to use up the silicone and I don't want my money going to waste...

Thanks,
-Jeddychan

It'll last a few months at best. A quick email to smooth on would probably give you a better idea of exactly how long it will last. I've always used it within a couple of months of opening, but it's been fine within that timeframe. Various things affect it, heat, humidity etc.

I bought some Oomoo a couple a months ago, and I used last week. The only problem I had is that I had to shake the bottles really well, because like the compound seperated and wierd liquid layed on top of the blue stuff.
So just shake the bottles and you will be ok :)

It'll last a few months at best. A quick email to smooth on would probably give you a better idea of exactly how long it will last. I've always used it within a couple of months of opening, but it's been fine within that timeframe. Various things affect it, heat, humidity etc.

I bought some Oomoo a couple a months ago, and I used last week. The only problem I had is that I had to shake the bottles really well, because like the compound seperated and wierd liquid layed on top of the blue stuff.
So just shake the bottles and you will be ok :)

Thanks, I think I will ask smooth-on, and I was going to get some oomoo, and if it lasts for years, but all you have to do is shake it a bit, then there's no problem... although, if you shake it, does it give you a ton of bubbles? because I don't have a vacuum to degas it...

EDIT: I sent them an email, and when they respond, I'll let you know what they sent me...

Rick from Smooth-On... OOMOO or any of our products are guarenteed for one year UNOPEN from date of manufacture (lot number). If opened, we have no way of assuring any future product freshness because we at that point have no control over what the product may or may not be exposed to... typically if you shut the product up as soon as you use it and the conditions are favorable it is not uncommon to get a few months out of an open container... OOMOO will thicken over time in it's container... it is just the nature of the raw materials used to create the product... I know a lot of our compeditors will only give a 6 month guarentee for unopened containers for this reason
Hope that helps

I was quoted at SIX WEEKS (Rebound 25) by a Smooth-On rep and I'm fairly inclined to believe him. That stuff goes bad with a quickness.

Mold Max 40 tends to keep a little longer. I just used the last of a bucket that was ~3 months old and it worked fine.

Platinum cure vs Tin cure?

Yea, I was about to ask if it was Platinum or Tin...

Been researching this stuff for my costume props. It's the best way to make a weapon that looks real but is soft and safe enough to pass inspection.

Yeah, under the FAQ's it says how long it lasts... but heres what the guy at smooth-on told me:

"In it you will find that unlike Urethane, silicone is more sensitive to high temperatures more than moisture. It is best to use the material within 6 months of manufacture even if unopened. If you would like to know the date of manufacture for your containers, email me or call with the Lot# of both the A:B containers and I'll be more than happy to forward you that information."

So pretty much, you need to use it up in 6 months...

EDIT: urethane rubber, if you keep it closed up, and away from humidity and heat will last a year in the bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back