How should I fill this gap?

ptrinidad

IMG_2323.jpeg

As the title says. I had split up the helmet into quarters and one of them came out slightly bent than the other but they still line up well. How should I fill the gap between them?

For some rigidity i used some 2 component superglue to fill the seams out. after that i sanded it smooth and added filler primer for the final sanding to get it really smooth.

you could also use a soldering iron (be carefull and use PPE's) to "weld the two pieces together. After that fill the seams with Bondo car filler and sand it smooth after that.

If you plan on painting the helmet, this is super easy! It happens to me all the time. I like to use bondo spot putty to fill in gaps like these. Before you do that though, it's a good idea to glue it together and sand the helmet. Next, squeeze some spot putty out of the tube and fill in the gap. Wait for it to dry and then sand it down.

A lot of people like to use automotive sandable filler primer before painting to help fill in the layer lines created by the printer. Once the gap filled with the spot putty, I will spray the whole helmet with filler primer and then sand it down. If there are large, noticeable spots you can fill those with spot putty as well. I will do 2-3 rounds of filler primer and sanding before I paint. Before long, you won't even notice there's a gap! The chief helmet I have on in my profile pic was printed in 8 pieces, but you can't tell! Hope this helps

I had a much more noticeable gap on part of my helmet due to a slight printing error. Yours will be a pretty easy fix. When putting together my pieces I first tacked them together with super glue, then used JB-weld 2-part epoxy on both the inside and outside. This becomes a solid almost plastic filler in that gap and adds a good bit of reinforcement so you don't have to be scared of it being a weak point. Then, like the others are saying, put Bondo over the whole thing, sand it, and watch it disappear.

DeltaAlphaZulu has a really good video on youtube that I followed for combining pieces together and leveling seams if you would rather watch that :) It goes over pretty much everything I just said but he explains it way better and shows how it goes.

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back