how to achieve the indents? (such as on the nose portion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

feigned echo

Jr Member
i know this is also in the gen creation forum, i put it there as well by mistake:
alright, i know that i will never amount to anything even close to what blue realm has achieved, and so i was wondering, for those of you who have made helmets, what major details did you decide to go with and how did you achieve them? i'm not asking to the degree of blue realms detail, just the major ones, i've been having a hard time picking them out of your pics, and if you do have picture reference that would be great, i hate to be a burden.

thank you.

hmm i've been thinking about the same thing. as far as i can tell, most use wiring piping (kind of a orange stuff) for the vents alongside the helmet, for the rest, it's just bondo and skills (if were talking about pep ^^)

ThoR said:
hmm i've been thinking about the same thing. as far as i can tell, most use wiring piping (kind of a orange stuff) for the vents alongside the helmet, for the rest, it's just bondo and skills (if were talking about pep ^^)

i'm already using electrical tubing for the vents, what i want to know is how to get indented details, like this: http://www.bluerealmstudios.com/mc/fullSize/iDSC01329.jpg on the nose portion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuffuloo 117 said:
just bondo, i think...

If you didnt notice that pic's not pep at least i think it's not..

no it's not, but i've seen pep with that detail, and bondo can't do it because it's an indent. but if you have a pep helmet how detailed is it?

also ure aiming as high as it goes m8, even adam who has his own molded set got one of those helms :p

i agree with cys920622, the only way is to bondo the not indented places with a pep file.

cardboard might bend and give a rippled texture... but idunno it might work if you bondo OVER it, OR fiberglass over it and sand the ripples away.
btw i've never tried the cardboard method.. so i am only guessing.

that's what im gona do to give contour to my suit.

also check out the PEP model that slyfo posted like 10 minutes ago. the helmet is pretty much as precise as it gets- an extract from the game 3d files.

hope this helps.

cys920622 said:
cardboard might bend and give a rippled texture... but idunno it might work if you bondo OVER it, OR fiberglass over it and sand the ripples away.
btw i've never tried the cardboard method.. so i am only guessing.

that's what im gona do to give contour to my suit.

also check out the PEP model that slyfo posted like 10 minutes ago. the helmet is pretty much as precise as it gets- an extract from the game 3d files.

hope this helps.

the carbord does gereraly give that ridged texture unfortunatly but with a bit of work bondo or fiberglass will help smooth it. but you will need to reson the cardbord to harden it. and dont use foamboard what ever you do. resin eats that stuff up.

also the game model doesnt have all the detail as mod=st of it is generated using normal bump maps and painted textures. if you want the detail i recomend Dannifood4less's model or mine. weve built in the detail of the H3 helm as it appers when rendered but be warned the pep wont be easy!

idunnno... have you seen slyfo's model yet?
i don't want to turn this into a discussion but

yeah cardboard+resin is your best and cheapest choice.

cys920622 said:
idunnno... have you seen slyfo's model yet?
i don't want to turn this into a discussion but

i jus did and its alot more detailed then the "halo 3" meshes ive seen on other sites(they obvisly werent). its not quite there but its much, much better then the H2 one!

if ur startin a new helm ide recomend that one for ppl who dnt mind doin the details aferwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back