How to cut aluminium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

How do i bend this part of aluminium for my AR? (aluminium cannot be welded).
Problem.jpg

So i highlited more areas so that you can uderstand better.

GREEN: This area has no problems the aluminium is easy to bend to that area.
RED: Highlighted problem area.
ORANGE: this is the specific point of trouble.

As you can see the part curves down but the bottom part of the aluminium doesnt.
The aluminium is supposed to bend over the top of the AR.

I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

-Finnish

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 suggestions. One make it as a 4 piece part and weld it together. Or make it as one piece with some cut outs so when you bend it to shape you have some minimal welding. But if you are going to make it out of metal short of doing raising with ball peen hammers you will have to weld.

Spartan 161 said:
I have 2 suggestions. One make it as a 4 piece part and weld it together. Or make it as one piece with some cut outs so when you bend it to shape you have some minimal welding. But if you are going to make it out of metal short of doing raising with ball peen hammers you will have to weld.

Note: i cannot weld (i know how to but i dont have the equipement...).

Sorry But I don't see any other Viable way of making that part without welding. You could call around to Auto shops or machine shops. many places like that will do an odd job if you have the pieces pre made ready to weld up.

Spartan 161 said:
Sorry But I don't see any other Viable way of making that part without welding. You could call around to Auto shops or machine shops. many places like that will do an odd job if you have the pieces pre made ready to weld up.

I mean the aluminium pieaces arent too thick its only 2.5mm so its easy to bend..

Then try using some Auto dolly's and hammers to bend and shape it. If you don't know how then look around the Internet for technique. I have done some Medieval armor reproduction out of steel and its what I used. However there is no way for me to tell you how to do it in text. These are learned skills that take practice and lots of hard work. Have you thought about just making that part out of plastic? Would be a lot easier.

Aluminum is soft as heck, just hang the piece you want to bend over a table edge or something...

It would also help if we could actually see or know what you're doing...

Finnish_Spartan said:
I had the blue print and the highligted area...

And people could look at my topics...

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7141

The assualt rifle on the right...
Yeah, you know, it's damn near impossible to avoid your topics. They're everywhere.

But 1/2 of that topic is about dogs, and says nothing about aluminum or what you're trying to do with it. I still have no idea...

Nicktendo said:
Yeah, you know, it's damn near impossible to avoid your topics. They're everywhere.

But 1/2 of that topic is about dogs, and says nothing about aluminum or what you're trying to do with it. I still have no idea...

I mean i need to bend the aluminium so it curves over the top of the rifle...

Put it in a table vice and bend it bit by bit and then hammer out the angles, if you mean actually curve it over the top of the rifle. If you mean just one bend so it angles down like in the pic it should be really simple, just bend it using vice, hammer, table, fist, etc.

Finnish_Spartan said:
I mean the aluminium pieaces arent too thick its only 2.5mm so its easy to bend..
Hot glue them after cutting? GLob it on and it wont fall off, or use caulk.

cutout the piece in a butterfly shape, and then bend it into shape. basically the top of that piece will be the center of the butterfly, with both of the larger side pieces being the "wings". once you fold it down, then you can bend the center down to be the piece that the barrel comes through and then wrap down underneath.

You don't have the necessary equipment to do this properly. You're asking for an approximation, so cutting and bending is going to be your only option.

If you wanted to do this properly, you would need to cut it and form it over a block, then weld your seams... Without the welder, you're going to have to fill the seams with another material like epoxy, then paint it silver... kinda defeats the purpose of making it out of aluminum, huh?

Solder doesn't stick to aluminum.... only brass, copper and nickel.

optimusaint said:
cutout the piece in a butterfly shape, and then bend it into shape. basically the top of that piece will be the center of the butterfly, with both of the larger side pieces being the "wings". once you fold it down, then you can bend the center down to be the piece that the barrel comes through and then wrap down underneath.

But you have to bend a straight line and when the line continues you need to bend it downwards... that is my mainproblem (i can get the other 2 parts fine).

Welding aluminum is very very hard. It tends to ball up and if your not careful, then youll ruin it. Just bend it. Its not that hard.

drgon47 said:
Welding aluminum is very very hard. It tends to ball up and if your not careful, then youll ruin it. Just bend it. Its not that hard.

I updated the post dragon, now you should see what my problem is.

Why not try using steel, it will weld and could be soldered if heavily soldered, if not, theres always the idea of caulking or hot gluing the inside of the aluminum piece.

AoBfrost said:
Why not try using steel, it will weld and could be soldered if heavily soldered, if not, theres always the idea of caulking or hot gluing the inside of the aluminum piece.

Well im just going to use epoxy to stick the part in, The main problem is to bend the part from 2 places if you want to use a single piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back