How to finish inside of helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to finish the inside of a helmet? I filled mine with a layer of latex based DAP foam, the type you dont have to worry bout expanding too much, and it's taking forever to dry!!! Anyone know a better way to seal off the fiberglass? Ive got foam padding for fit when I'm done, but I don't want to line the inside with that. It'd get too hot.

I'll put your ideas in my upcoming tut with credit if I use them. :p

can u use that paint sealer stuff that you apply like paint?

or that waterproofing stuff they use on houses.

thats what i used on my old helmet(cardboard) and it worked pretty nice. i didnt fiberglass that one thou

Cover it with padding... I'll put some pics up in a few days... too busy with Halloween right now.

Is it just like paint? Or does it have some thickness? B/C I found this rubber foam weather striping stuff that is about 1.5 inches wide and 5/7 inch thick and is adhesive backed. And its in a big tasty roll. I'll post a pic and name when I get round to it.

I sprayed mine with a couple coats of primer, then a cheap ( CHEAP ) spray in box liner type thing, and then I'm going to quickly sand the few spots where something is still poking through and give it another coat.

This is what I will be using on my helms to seal off the fiberglass, I should have the coat applied tomorrow morning.

Can.jpg

label.jpg

I picked it up at a local hardware store.

Oh ok. I'll just use the primer I bought. Then the foam. The tough part is going to be getting all the wiring for the dual fans and leds to fit.

Master Chef said:
Does anyone know how to finish the inside of a helmet? I filled mine with a layer of latex based DAP foam, the type you dont have to worry bout expanding too much, and it's taking forever to dry!!! Anyone know a better way to seal off the fiberglass? Ive got foam padding for fit when I'm done, but I don't want to line the inside with that. It'd get too hot.

I'll put your ideas in my upcoming tut with credit if I use them. :p

I used the Reg Expanding Foam... Big Mistake LOL I had to cut out about 50% of it with a bread knife.

I just put the foam in the Peak and a bit at the back. After trimming the helmet fit pretty snug. I just added a small circle of 1/2 inch soft foam sheet on the top and sides (near the ears). This seems to work well.

I haven't cut any vents in yet, thtas next. The helmet will probably get a bit stuffy ... we will have to see.

After everything the helmet is pretty heavy . I didnt realize how heavy fiber glass and bondo could be LOL.

Wombat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but it feels good wearing something with some weight. It feels real that way. Mines ****ing bullet proof with all the bondo. How long did it take for the normal expanding foam to harden? I'm no longer afraid of the foam warping my helm because its so tough. I think the latex stuff is just **** so it didn't dry.

True, true and true. (In response to all posts).

With my first suit, i simply used a cheap, fluffy foam, (The stuff you find in Postureapedic pillows).

To be blunt, it didn't end well. Don't make my mistake and put any sort of foam cushioning in there, it chafes and heats like sex with Pamela Anderson, (Eaasy now...).

:HazZarD:

I'm paint the inside black, then cover the cut out visor area with newspaper, paint the outside, then attach visor, get some padding from a bike ship for bike helmets, then padd the entire inside and make it cumfy, then add leds and fans.

I used thin foam sheets inside my vader helmet, then added the inside pads from a bicycle helmet. This allows your head to breathe, once you install fans (highly reccomended)
It will allow air to circulate around your head keeping the sweating and fogging of your visor down.

There are plenty of vents in the Halo 3 MC helmet to make for functional intakes for small CPU fans hooked to a 9volt battery.

Remember you want it comfy, and cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back