How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
OXM_Chase said:
But do the scores have to be spot on perfect? Towards the middle of the assembly the numbers don't match up against each other and I'm not sure if that has to do with my scoring or bending or cutting or what haha.

it has more to do with the assembly itself. Try gluing from the center of the piece out to the edges. I have found this will help numbers to line up perfect almost every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OXM_Chase said:
But do the scores have to be spot on perfect? Towards the middle of the assembly the numbers don't match up against each other and I'm not sure if that has to do with my scoring or bending or cutting or what haha.

Hmmm, on separate pecies that go togther I try to start in the middle and work towards both the ends. I think the main thing you need to do is take a little more time when lining the numbers up. The only reason I keep telling you what I'm doing is because my Iron Man helmet is the first one I have done, it takes time and patience. And I like to pass on information that I have learned.

I remember Ben telling me to work on the top part of the helmet and work down, which helps. I think it is the gluing process that messes me up. I've been gluing the small pieces to the big ones in efforts to clear them away and then working my way down the top of the helmet with the bigger sections in any direction just as long as it was going down gradually. I'll try this middle to outwards method.

I really didn't want to but for you sir I will video some steps on making the actual Pep file. I need to make the spikes for the Busa anyway :(. argh I'm only doing this because you have taken such an interest and seem to be having trouble. Be prepared for a how-to cut, fold, glue, and pep video. This will include where to start pepping, how to cut out the parts, how to easily fold the tabs, what glue to use, and what order to glue the tabs together. OXM_Chase please let me know if you are having any other issues with the pepping process and I will try to work those in as well.

BenStreeper said:
I really didn't want to but for you sir I will video some steps on making the actual Pep file. I need to make the spikes for the Busa anyway :( . argh I'm only doing this because you have taken such an interest and seem to be having trouble. Be prepared for a how-to cut, fold, glue, and pep video. This will include where to start pepping, how to cut out the parts, how to easily fold the tabs, what glue to use, and what order to glue the tabs together. OXM_Chase please let me know if you are having any other issues with the pepping process and I will try to work those in as well.

That would be absolutely awesome Ben! I'm sure I'm not the only one having trouble, and the videos I've watched haven't actually demonstrated the steps you're going to show. All the steps you're going to record are what I need. It's gotten really frustrating because I've had to start over editing the pep file on the computer, scoring, cutting, and gluing 5 times. I hope it's not any inconvenience or anything cause that's the last thing I'd want to do with how helpful you've been.

Weirdest thing happened today while I was gluing my Recon pep together. I had divided some pieces in the pepakura program so that folds could be easier. I assumed that when you do this, the numbers change to correctly correspond with the changes you in turn make. That didn't happen and there was no way for me to know until I got deep into the situation. So far all is good, but I've run into many instances where the shape of the piece fits, but a few numbers don't align right or I have multiples of one number. It's strange, but since I'm almost done gluing my first helmet of 5 attempts I won't complain haha. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Wow!! Great videos Ben!!! I can't wait till you start bondoing the Reach helmet video. I live not too far from Beaumont too, but not in the great state of Texas (I live Sulphur, LA). My wife goes to Lamar in Orange for nursing, so it'll be the perfect excuse for me to run to your shop in Beaumont (hopefully this Friday, if your open by then) to buy some games and pick your mind. Are you by chance going to sell some smoothcast and other molding materials in the future in your new store?

SamoanHitman said:
Wow!! Great videos Ben!!! I can't wait till you start bondoing the Reach helmet video. I live not too far from Beaumont too, but not in the great state of Texas (I live Sulphur, LA). My wife goes to Lamar in Orange for nursing, so it'll be the perfect excuse for me to run to your shop in Beaumont (hopefully this Friday, if your open by then) to buy some games and pick your mind. Are you by chance going to sell some smoothcast and other molding materials in the future in your new store?

I'm sure I can get them for you if you need it, I'm not gonna be open on Friday though. We are still waiting on our Coin-ops to come in before we can open the store :(

on a lighter note here's what went on with armoring yesterday

Stevieboy7 said:
From what I've heard, hot glue is definately the best.

Doesn't saturate into the paper, and dries incredibly fast.

i use krazy glue the gel kind it works really fast too and it seem not to saturate te pep or warp it, but the down side is that you have to have it perfectly in place before it dries or its not coming off.

Thanks Ben for these videos I tried the rondo on my armor and it works so much better than fiberglassing it. Glad to see that HaloGoddess is getting some on her chest piece.

Guys, with Ben's videos I think this is a great start, although there is much more we can learn. I think we should all now get together and start our own prop making franchise and movie business. There is enough guys on here that can do the special effects that we should all do a movie together and go big, Hollywood style. We might have to work out some license arrangements but ole Ben is pretty sharp and can probably pull this off. The great thing about this and the sharing is that is that everyone who does special effects and costumes learned from someone else. There are alot of pioneers out there also, but I have heard a few in other forums that have worked in the industry say "WOW". To me that is the biggest compliment any rookie prop builder can get. What do you say Ben, you ready for the big time?

OOORAH!!! Lets rock it!!

Yeah, I've been drinkin but I think it something we could do. There is enough talent in here to come up with our own hero's and plot.

Love the forums, love the comradary (misspelled I'm sure), and it is at least something to think about.

Hawk77 said:
Guys, with Ben's videos I think this is a great start, although there is much more we can learn. I think we should all now get together and start our own prop making franchise and movie business. There is enough guys on here that can do the special effects that we should all do a movie together and go big, Hollywood style. We might have to work out some license arrangements but ole Ben is pretty sharp and can probably pull this off. The great thing about this and the sharing is that is that everyone who does special effects and costumes learned from someone else. There are alot of pioneers out there also, but I have heard a few in other forums that have worked in the industry say "WOW". To me that is the biggest compliment any rookie prop builder can get. What do you say Ben, you ready for the big time?

OOORAH!!! Lets rock it!!

Yeah, I've been drinkin but I think it something we could do. There is enough talent in here to come up with our own hero's and plot.

Love the forums, love the comradary (misspelled I'm sure), and it is at least something to think about.

It's a good Idea if you keep it as fun and friends. I'll speak from experience that once you throw money into the mix there's always someone who gets greedy. I currently work with several fiends I've made on this site to produce props, and although the thought has crossed everyone's mind, I think it would be hard to get enough people together to make a movie. If you guys can make it happen I'll try and show up, between propping, and the store, not to mention my 2 kids and wife my life get pretty booked. As a hobby this keeps me sain but turn it into a business and you'll be surprised how activating it can become. That's one of the reasons why I only produce enough of a helmet/ suit to make back the money put into it and finance the next build. However having said all that, if you can get the people together, I'm sure I can find the time ;p I obviously like being in front of the camera :)

Ben, if I wanted to create a replica of one of my helmets or armor pieces, would vacuum forming or creating a cast be better? I know casting can cost a lot of money, or at least from what I've heard, and vacuum forming seems like it's easier and more efficient. I just don't know how much that would cost. I'm leaning towards vacuum forming but I'm not sure if there's a store or anywhere down here that can do that; unless by chance you know a of a place. :p

Anyways I was just wondering if you know any of the pros and cons of the two and which one you would prefer for someone that currently doesn't have too much money to spend.:S

Broli said:
Ben, if I wanted to create a replica of one of my helmets or armor pieces, would vacuum forming or creating a cast be better? I know casting can cost a lot of money, or at least from what I've heard, and vacuum forming seems like it's easier and more efficient. I just don't know how much that would cost. I'm leaning towards vacuum forming but I'm not sure if there's a store or anywhere down here that can do that; unless by chance you know a of a place. :p

Anyways I was just wondering if you know any of the pros and cons of the two and which one you would prefer for someone that currently doesn't have too much money to spend.:S

Here is a short pro/con of the top of my head. I use a mixture of the two to be honest.

Vac-Form

Pros:

fairly cheap

Fast

low skill level needed

sturdy (dependent on the thickness of the plastic)

Cons:

Can't sand out mistakes

not 100% the same every time

not as strong (dependent on the thickness of the plastic)

Not as detailed (rounds out edges)

Multiple pieces needed for deep draw objects (helmets)

Molding/ Casting

Pros:

Can cast a multitude of mediums (plastic, latex, flex-foam, vyta-flex)

The same every time (dependent on mother-mold and shrinkage variable)

Easier to fix mistakes (sanding and bondo :))

Almost always stronger than Vac-Form

Solid Cast construction

Cons:

More expensive

Higher skill level needed

Takes more time to cast/ mold

Shrinkage may occur

Molds useless if mother-mold is destroyed

BenStreeper said:
Molding/ Casting

Cons:

Molds useless if mother-mold is destroyed

Couldn't this be countered by always keeping one rigid master casting? If the mother mold breaks you'd just pop the master in the mold and redo the mother mold again. As long as the shrinkage isn't too extreme I don't see why it wouldn't work.

AceHigh said:
Couldn't this be countered by always keeping one rigid master casting? If the mother mold breaks you'd just pop the master in the mold and redo the mother mold again. As long as the shrinkage isn't too extreme I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'll just say this, if you can get that to work you are a better man than me. Getting a casting out of a mold is one thing, getting it to sit back in the mold perfectly is like repacking a computer...... somehow when you put it all back in it just doesn't look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back