How to make your own spartan helmet, a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! i just made it well only the cardboard no bond glass yet in like 2 hours, i'll post some pics later. but it is late and i have been ubsessive compusive and made it for fun but now i need to go to bed. I will probably go on to make the entire costume this way. so i have it to wear on halloween!!!!! wich is still a long way away. ( good enough time for me to have the body too at the rate iv'e been going to the gym. ) :mrgreen:

GUh... epoxy? It's super expensive in large quantites.. And still pretty toxic...

Um. I don't know of any other material like this that bonds so well to anything. Some resins are nicer to work with, but they don't stick very well.

I'm sure that if there were another material out there that is less hazardous to work with, it would already be out on the market.... and polyester resin would be distant history.

I think part of why everything works so well is because it's toxic. You have to mix dangerous chemicals to get the molding type stuff that you want to have.

If there was something easier out there that was safe, we'd grow up playing with that instead of Play-Dough.

Well picked up some bondo(ace hardware) and some cardboard from work and ill star tommarow, ill keep photo tabs on my adventure throu this for ya''ll :hyper:

OK every body

Bondo And Bondo glass are two different things

Bondo is a plain body filler and doesn't have as much streanght its good for filling dents and is easy to sand.

Bond glass is Bondo like body filler with chopped fiberglass pre mixed in, it is much stronger it is a little harder to sand but if you do most of you work while it is partialy cured witha cheeze grater tool you can whittle most of the parts down that you need to fairly easily.

Boldo fiberglass is what is being used in the pictures of this tutorial.

I would not worry about either of these products beeing of any harm to you unless you are working in a small unventilated room or shoving it up your nose and stuff, i don't think it will irritate you skin much but wear gloves any way cause it isn't nice if it drioes on you. i wouldn't use this stuff indoors anyway, if it gets on anything it is very hard to get out. so make sure you wear something that you are not gonna care if it gets destroyed.

LINK : do you have a link to the site you found this at i would love to check it out. I started making the armor, ( its much less complicated than halo armor ) I wanted to see if they had any other stuff like the rest of the costume.

Well today i cut off out the face and added tap to edge and started dome (picutres come monday night) :mrgreen:, school was cut short today do to some weird band thing and thats where im constructing.

My art teacher has agreed to let me make this and other parts of the costume as my final project for her class. I will be making the Leonidas version of the helmet with the plume on top, the sword, and the shield, and if i can i will make the cape, and belt/briefs but those last 2 may have to wait untill later i have three weeks to make all this.

Ok there...
First of all...
Please write in clear, defined English.
Second of all, helmet tutorials are all over the place, and the best are most likely in the Tutorial Section.
Happy Digging. ;-)

Jordan Roajs said:
i got's a question who has a thread to make a master chief helmet??? or is there no tread???? :vim:

hmmmmm well i guess you'll have to look around for some, theres some here in the armor discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping for soon to be lots-o-pics. I need to bondo + sand + paint
hoping bondo will be done tommarow in my study hall

WARNING MASS PHOTOS

Ok, Heres my bondo and spreeders
DSCI0046.jpg

DSCI0047.jpg

In the begining i made a horrible shaped dom then i redid it and it came out great and thus my helmet took off like wild fire. More too come after, im onto sanding and puddying holes, looking into casting a mold maybe?
DSCI0045.jpg

DSCI0044.jpg

DSCI0043.jpg

DSCI0048.jpg

DSCI0049.jpg

DSCI0050.jpg

DSCI0052.jpg

DSCI0051.jpg

DSCI0054.jpg

DSCI0053.jpg

DSCI0055.jpg

DSCI0056.jpg

DSCI0057.jpg

DSCI0058.jpg

More to come fellow Spartans

I have my helmet, forearm guards completely done, and the sword is about half done you can see the side that is most completed, I am currently working on the shin armor ( and i won't blind you with my White legs right now lol ). lol i still have a litttle bit of working out to do before this halloween.

spartanian.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back