How To Measure Out An Ounce Of Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indigo Cow

Jr Member
The name says most of it how do you guys measure out an ounce of resin when you go to use it so you have the right ratio, I'm kinda stumped because I can use my regular liquid measurement cup, also how do you guys make it easy to clean up because the first time doing this clean up was a big hassle

you could always use a one ounce shot glass... if its a two ounce, you just double what ever amount of hardener you would apply for one ounce. or you could use those little one ounce medicine cups. and just measure however man ounces you want and then poor them into what ever container you are going to use for that resining session.

and for clean up, prolly just best to through out the brush, container, and mixer you were using with the resin. just buy the really cheap bulk brushes, that way you can just use and then toss, and not worry about busting the bank.

that is at least my opinion, =D

snag an extra measuring cup at the grocery store next time you go. they arent over 5 dollars. you can find that in change on the ground. once you go thru the process enough, you should be able to eyeball the amount. but until then, just grap another measuring cup.

as far as cleanup goes, use newspaper under the piece your resining, and some gloves. and thats about it. you can also use tinfoil to make a lining for whatever you are pouring your resin in. that way you can just take out the foil, throw it away, and be done with cleanup.

Well I was like you the first time, and I resined out of a little 2 oz measuring cup. After speanding forever trying to clean it, I decided to try something different. I went to wallmart (you could go to a dollar store as well) and bought a cheap thing of plastic party cups. Now I take my measuring cup and fill it with water and pour it into one of the plastic cups, and then mark where it is with a pen or sharpie. That makes it so you have a very cheap diposable measuring cup. Hope it helps you.

To tell you the truth, I usually just put some resin in a container and squirt some hardener in lol.

Btw, 500th post!

I use the small disposable cups that are for the dixie cup dispenser. They have a line near the rim that is exactly one ounce. A pack of 100 costs just over $1.00.

i just lined the lid that came on the resin container with tin foil then filled it up close to the top, then added around 15 to 20 drops of hardener depending on the weather outside and how fast i wanted it to dry. more drops for colder weather or faster cure time, less for hot/ humid weather and slower dry time

As for measuring, i do drops or measure it with a shot glass. A lot of the time i find myself "guestimating" based on weather.

As for cleanup, like said above, disposable brushes are cheaper than my time to clean them out. I use butter bowls (empty of course ;) ) for mixing. When i'm done with the batch, i leave the brush in and wait for it to harden. A) Its an easy way to see if your cure time is up B ) When the cure time is up, you pull on the brush and can usually get the whole mess out of the bucket without having to clean it out for the next batch.

I used the tub that I put my resin in (which is the top to the can of resin) and poured in an 8th of a cup of water (1 ounce) and marked it with a marker on the outside, then two ounces, and so forth.

Syphon said:
i just lined the lid that came on the resin container with tin foil then filled it up close to the top, then added around 15 to 20 drops of hardener depending on the weather outside and how fast i wanted it to dry. more drops for colder weather or faster cure time, less for hot/ humid weather and slower dry time

I second this technique. I took the time to measure out a fl.oz of water and poured it into the cap provided with bondo brand fiberglass resin. It came out to be almost to the top, but not overly full. Also for the hardener, you don't have to worry. It's never as specific as the container makes it, or you'd be forced to wait for the exact temperature and exact measurements everyday. My suggestion is just experiment, you'll learn better that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back