How To Remove Gunks Of Resin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyy

Hey guys,

I just finished fiber glass resin my Iron Man Helmet. Problem is I did a terrible job, there a chunks of resin,, is there any way to remove it? Would applying heat work? I will post some pics.

If you or someone you know has a drenel with a sanding bit on the end then that should take those off real quick.

it happened to me before, I just sanded it down with a mouse sander, or dremel.

sucks though, extra work
dry.gif

Thanks for the replies,

Would it be okay if I just skipped the sanding and applied Bondo Body Filler? The way I look at it is that I have the sand this no matter what after applying bondo, am I thinking correctly? Can I apply the body filler in parts or should I put it on the whole helmet then start sanding? First thing I do when I get home is take a razor and cut the mouth part since that part is stuck and hard to sand out since its in a gap.

Is body filler toxic? can I work on it at home without a respirator?

Thanks

I agree with Gallard, the best way to do this is use a dremel sanding bit, at least that's what I do and it works great. Good luck

Thanks for the replies,

Would it be okay if I just skipped the sanding and applied Bondo Body Filler? The way I look at it is that I have the sand this no matter what after applying bondo, am I thinking correctly? Can I apply the body filler in parts or should I put it on the whole helmet then start sanding? First thing I do when I get home is take a razor and cut the mouth part since that part is stuck and hard to sand out since its in a gap.

Is body filler toxic? can I work on it at home without a respirator?

Thanks

Answering in parts:

A) No, You still have to at least abrade the outer resin so that the bondo has something to grip onto, otherwise the bondo will crack and flake when the helmet flexes. I'd recommend some 80 grit for light abrasion overall, and a dremel bit to knock down those resin globs.

B) Bondo is essentially the same stuff as fiberglass resin, except thicker. It's still very flammable, and very toxic. Take the same precautions that you did with Fiberglass resin (Gloves, either Nitrile/Latex, OV95/100 Respirator, wash hands, etc.)

C) Once the helmet has hardened with fiberglass and resin, There's no worry about it warping, so you should do the whole helmet in one go, so you don't get any unsightly "job lines" (Small gaps or unlevel portions where you paused on applications). Remember to mix only enough bondo in one batch for about 3-5 minutes of work. It begins curing and globbing much faster than Resin, and if you apply it as it's beginning to cure, it can create small pockets and voids that appear on sanding (You'll get these anyways, they just happen less if you mix in small batches. Keep some spot putty handy).

If you need any more help, Pop in the 405th chat room and let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back