how to take fiberglass off brushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
acetone, lots and lots of acetone....be sure to soak it before the resin cures and to rinse the brush with water before putting more resin on the model, if you get acetone on the model mixed with resin it wont cure properly....or just by cheap brushes, look around you should be able to get brushes for about $1 a piece.

well i tried gasoline it sorta came off but not much.........

also do u have to fiber glass all the pieces inside and out?????

becuase thats what ive been doing so far

Sponge brushes are the key, fiberglass klumps on them, just use your gloves and pull them off and walla.

throw them away and use another one. theres no way to effectively clean the brush enough for it to work like a new one.

i have 4 brushes left so im going to just use those until im out of brushes i should finish if i dont fiber glass the inside..............

but if i have to i will fiiber glass the inside

cys920622 said:
pack of ten for $1 at the dollar store
:D:D:D:D

*Bows down*

I knew there was somewhere that had them cheaper. Next pack I get, I'll get from the dollar store :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniper said:
*Bows down*

I knew there was somewhere that had them cheaper. Next pack I get, I'll get from the dollar store :D

keep in mind that there is such a thing as too cheap

ive noticed no difference in quality whatsoever between the brushes.
home depot= pack of 3 sponge brushes for $2.99
dollar shop= pack of 10 sponge brushes for $1

that's 10 cents a brush as oppsed to a dollar.

there is no difference in quality. the dollar shop brushes actually hold up better against resin, because at one point all sponge brushes will start to fall apart (after about 3-4 batches)

one difference is that the dollar shop brushes have plastic handles as opposed to home depot's wooden handles.
ask yourself, is the wooden handle worth 90 cents?

but then again you're right on the 'too cheap' part on one thing.
i got a mini glue gun for a dollar and it's already starting to fall apart...
but hey it works fine.

cys920622 said:
pack of ten for $1 at the dollar store
:D:D:D:D

I was going to say harborfreight.com had 36 bristle brushes (2" chip) for $8.00 but WOW 10/$1.00 is sweet. :tutu:

Use cheap chip brushes.

Clean them with ACETONE after each application and you might get 2-3 uses from each brush.

But really resin is a brush-killer. Thats just part of the cost of working with resin...

From Lowe's I got 1" foam brushes (plastic handle) for 24c each. I bought about 12, and I've used 6 of them just resining, so might need to get more, but I doubt it.

I'm fiberglassing now.

ojrtega said:
well i tried gasoline it sorta came off but not much.........

also do u have to fiber glass all the pieces inside and out?????

becuase thats what ive been doing so far

as far as i know ur only supposed to glass the inside and resin the outside b/c if u fiberglasses the outside it would ruin all the detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back