Humans vs Zombies Foam Armor (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincaliflour

Hey yall. I'm over at the polytech campus of ASU, and we've got the third bi-annual Humans Vs Zombies game coming up. Considering how much I've been lurking on this forum and using the great files uploaded on the pep thread, I figured I should repay the hospitality by detailing the creation of my armor. Currently I've been making foam helmets for people on campus, which has gotten some praise in the last game. This time I wanted to go all out, and make a full suit with additions to survive running and gunning in the AZ heat like a camel back and such. Obviously things will be left out as HVZ approaches, but still I thought it couldn't hurt to have another foam thingy on here :p So far I've completed the helmet, though all I have is old pictures. I'm stuck with my cell cam till I find my a/v out cable for my real camera, so hopefully the pics aren't TOO bad. Also sadly I can't get vanity to work on my computer, so basically I'm making the standard armor with a recon helmet, commando left shoulder, recon right shoulder, collar/breacher chest and a soft case thigh attachment. I may or may not use the para knees...
th_0403012321.jpg
Me in the helmet. no visor currently because of low light visibility issues...
th_0403012316.jpg

Well given the overwhelming popularity of this thread (lol self depreciation!) I'm gonna have to double post. I'm trying to stick to a schedule, finishing 2 parts per week (thursday to thursday) and so far I'm on schedule. I've finished the forearms completely and have begun to work on the biceps. Hopefully I can stir up some more interest lol. Credit for the forearms goes to Ruze, who has made by far my favorite arm models so far. Sadly though I can't seem to get the damn pics to show UP. would appreciate help with that...
Forearms
th_0825011742a.jpg

EDIT: nvm got the pics to show up. yippee.
th_0825011742.jpg

really cool keep up the good work can't wait to see the finished product! Question what type of foam are you using?

thanks for the encouragement! :D I use Gold's Gym Brand floor mats that you can get form walmart 6 for 19.99. on the forearms walmart was out so I went to target and got a pack of 5 for $21. besides the cost difference, the black ones are darker and seem to be more...flaky I guess is the easiest way to describe it. It's stiffer but also easier to cut.

Looking pretty good so far Captain! However, it's rather easy to see the lines where pieces are glued together... I haven't tried my hand at foam, so I'm not sure how to make it seamless... Other then that looks really awesome! As i understand it, most people have a lot of trouble making foam helmets, so well done!

Yea, the recon was my second helmet, and it's my baby. I'm constantly applying techniques I can find on the 405th to try and improve it, but I find that molding pieces together typically leaves those lines sadly. It's difficult to get a good bond without the glue either seeping out the crack or not covering enough to prevent lift when tension is applied. I've contemplated using clay to fill in the cracks, but I'm worried that, like any filler, it'll just make it all stand out more =/ suggestions are always appreciated

I use Liquid Nails Clear Seal to seal the foam and to fill cracks. You can get it at Wal Mart. It dries FAST so once its on smooth, dont try to go over it again or itll get ugly. You have a short time to work with it, but it works well for me. If you try it, use it on some scrap foam to get a feel for it before you smear it all over your armor.

It also takes paint VERY well!

I use Liquid Nails Clear Seal to seal the foam and to fill cracks. You can get it at Wal Mart. It dries FAST so once its on smooth, dont try to go over it again or itll get ugly. You have a short time to work with it, but it works well for me. If you try it, use it on some scrap foam to get a feel for it before you smear it all over your armor.

It also takes paint VERY well!

do you use it like bondo and go over everything? or is it just a fissure sealer? also, when I use hoot glue, theres a shinyness to the fill that shows up thru paint, is it the same situation? thanks for the suggestion! :D

Sorry for the double post but I've been trying to post at least every Thursday, and now(!!!) on Sunday I have an update lol. Alright I had a minor setback, built a bicep part and it was warped cause it didn't translate well into foam...the part was not well designed nor did I assemble it well enough. So I went with a better design (major credits to ForgedReclaimer MAN his pep's are good) and have now done a quick and dirty spray job. I'm still deciding the level of detail and scratching I want, so I'm only priming general portions with the base colors so I remember how I want it. Anyways, here are the bicep parts, and as a special treat, the shoulders! enjoy.
0904012226.jpg

And yes, that is a golden master Chief, added for scale.

0904012226a.jpg

Carter showing off his shoulder to compare...

09050122361.jpg

Just gonna continue with this multipost thing lol since I've been sick as a dog the past few weeks (and school's seen fit to interfere! how dare it!) anyways, I've got a mess of updates!! :D hopefully this will inspire commentary lol...I'd love suggestions for improvement :)
My helmet add ons
th_IMG_1963.jpg
The removable hand plates
th_IMG_1962.jpg
the assembled forearms
th_IMG_1959.jpg
th_IMG_1960.jpg
The front chest (I divided it to allow easier attachment) the knife sheath is still a work in progress
th_IMG_1948.jpg
The back, with a test of my black daisey insignia and the unsc logo (theyre very small click the thumb if u want a bigger look)
th_IMG_1950.jpg
My COD assembly. It's really the rig that holds this all together
th_IMG_1952.jpg
this is how it fits together with my chest plate, to give the nice ribbing that runs up the back of the Reach Spartans
th_IMG_1951.jpg
The right thigh, as the left is incomplete since I'll be building it around a leg pouch.
th_IMG_1956.jpg
and this is how the leg and CoD all attach together. Credit goes to rundown for the thigh model, sadly I don't know who put the rigging tutorial on this forum but it was an amazing help to me
th_IMG_1957.jpg
and here's the rig I'm going to be building the left thigh around (so that I can carry nerf darts and other tools of zombie destruction)
th_c616_grab_it_pack_gadget_holster_inuse.jpg
credit for this image goes to think geek and their wonderful grab it go pouch which securely attaches to the leg to allow maximum carrying capacity. When it arrives I'm going to assemble the left thigh around it.
and here is everything I have so far, minus the undersuit (since I don't like putting that on since it won't go over my clothes like the armor will lol)
th_IMG_1944.jpg

Thanks! :D unfortunately the dean of students at ASU has decided that someone might get in trouble if we use blasters after dark (I won't get into how stupid that idea is right now, but basically, its a typical beaurocracy mistake ruling). Thus I will not be participating (out of protest at this ruling!) and will need another reason to wear the suit lol...so anyone near mesa/tempe know of any good halloween parties? :p

Updates! completed the shins and am almost finished! just need to do the boots...
301420_10150321284985356_567165355_8332412_1166695607_n.jpg

And the detail on the back...and a shot of right before i went the union to make all the humans jealous of my awesome zombie killingness :D
319923_10150321284665356_567165355_8332407_1187826005_n.jpg

"And THAT'S what you get for messing with a Spartan!"
th_311030_10150321285340356_567165355_8332419_550439249_n.jpg

Updates (hopefully this doesn't count as a necro I just don't think making a new thread would help much)
New Knife made out of foamies (thank god for them)
Q3By3.jpg

I'll be painting it when I have money again. The old one frankly was crap.
And pics from phoenix and mesa comic con
JK9b2.jpg

qdLp5.jpg

Why spy checking is always important
WGroS.jpg

I felt something...not sure if it was the force though
Also new weapons that I am making for the armor
hdFjj.jpg

My splaser. It currently has a lazer pointer installed. I may also be installing a paintball trigger sysetm to trigger a high power Red LED flashlight.

I'm also going to be adding a prosthetic arm in place of the right one, since that's what I use now and I think it looks cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back