Humble Begginings

Status
Not open for further replies.

haji

chestplate.jpg

gallery_2_4_1485631.jpg

You should consider building the pep ODST armor. They're not terribly hard to put together at all. Having said that, your off to a good start with your project.

already considered.... but im not up using alot of body filler

Im leaning towards buliding the helmet from scratch and use the PEP as a reference, because my marine helmet turned out to be to large w/o using anything as a reference for size

i stopped this project last year

100_0389.jpg

im getting some help this time from friends so the workload for me has been cut, Any ideas on how to get the UNSC symbol on the armor?

i am haji said:
already considered.... but im not up using alot of body filler
Im leaning towards buliding the helmet from scratch and use the PEP as a reference, because my marine helmet turned out to be to large w/o using anything as a reference for size
i stopped this project last year

100_0389.jpg

im getting some help this time from friends so the workload for me has been cut, Any ideas on how to get the UNSC symbol on the armor?

I have to say this looks pretty impressive for saying you started from scratch,, good work!

The UNSC symbol...well I think you can get special transfer paper which can be loaded into your printer,, you print it off and rub to transfer onto whatever you want to...but I'll have to do some looking around for you.. I'll be watching your work! :]

Last edited by a moderator:
got the helmet done :p

DSC00128.jpg

less then 2 days with a friend
not too bad for doing a pep helmet for the first time

i dont 100 precent agree with helmet's design, its the buttom half that doesnt match to the weta version. So im just going to resin the the top half and build the rest with carboard

lol, I think it is hilarious that you built all that from scratch but you need help with the symbol. Dude, you got some skill for making props, looking very nice.

I am having the exact same problem on my armor: smoothing. Sanding is annoying as hell because no matter how much time you spend on doing it, it never looks perfect. But maybe that's just me. Anyways, it looks like you didn't sand yours at all (or just sanded it barely). If I were you, I'd sand that helmet one more time.

But other than that, it looks pretty great. Like I said, you just need to sand more, since everything else looks perfect (I have no idea how you managed to get those lines right, they look amazing). You're pretty gifted with cardboard, so I bet you'll be able to build the jaw part perfectly.

So, again, keep sanding in mind, and don't leave this unfinished like the rest of your cardboard stuff. Great job so far!

Didnt sand!??!?!?!??!?! dude................ ive been sanding that all week............................ the body filler is used to fill dents and gaps

im trying to create a layer, which its kinda hard to do since its thick and keeps sticking to my putty knife... i think im just gonna use a credit card or somthing thinner

ive also been doing it patch by patch instead of a whole

i agree with the perfection, but i think mine meets satisfaction

thats something i dont like about pepakura, its rquires to much body filler, thats why the armor will be done with cardboard.

i started bulding the 2 box like things on the side with carboard

DSC00154.jpg

when i added the jaw peice, it wouldnt fit.. so im going back to the pep.... i dont even know why i wanted to do that with carboard

Well, I'm just saying you should sand some more. As for the jaw, you sure it looks the way that you wanted it to look? Maybe you did something wrong with the pep part when you said that it didn't look like the weta version. I'd go back and double check just to be sure.

trust me man, i aint done sanding..... im not very good at getting the body filler to be very smoothe when i apply it... looks like a bunch of rocks

thats why i have a power sander lol

100_0337-1.jpg

100_0335.jpg

100_0334-1.jpg

i think it was master chef who posted a technique how to do weathering sometime last year, spray metalic where you want the effect, apply wet sand/dirt/salt on the metalic after it dries, then paint the color of your choice over it and allow it to cure, then simply scrap off

"wala"

100_0336-1.jpg

okay, had to get a project out of the way...

Ive been temptive to do some COG armor and ditch the odst but im gonna atleast finish the helmet

update

100_0553.jpg

100_0555.jpg

I think the jaw peice needs to come down a little more

100_0556.jpg

your tought?

PhantomSG13 said:
lol, I think it is hilarious that you built all that from scratch but you need help with the symbol. Dude, you got some skill for making props, looking very nice.

I second Phantoms comment. Nice work man.

As far as your sanding issues, it looks like you fiberglassed the outside of the helmet? I would suggest glassing the INSIDE for structural strength, then resining the crap out of the outside. This step will permeate the cardboard making it easier to sand, work with and apply body filler to. Buying a $3 set of body filler scrapers helps a ton. They are flexible, cheap, the filler releases well from them and with a little paint thinner and a rag they clean up like champs! Many thin layers of bondo are easier to work with than one big glob, and will reduce your time spent sanding exponentially. You'll also prevent air pockets in your filler work that way.

The little air pockets that you create during sanding can be filled with automotive spot putty or even exterior spackle. Just remember that it is merely for cosmetic filling. You never want to use it somewhere it may crack out, ie. an edge or a hole with nothing behind it.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the top of half of the helmet was fiberglassed and i did do it from the inside

your right about that working with globs of body filler, ill try your advise.

I had quite a lot of those air pockets if you can see in the previous post and i am using spot putty (the red spots on the most recent update)

but my experince with carboard, its easier to do the outside with fiberglass. Im a little puzzled on how im gonna sand the smaller detailed parts, Should I use a some type of dremel?

look really good. One pointer about bondo and sanding:
- When applying bondo - don't think of it like peanut butter. a nice thin layer is the best. so press it done, don't spread it. i suggest buying the bondo spreaders that bondo makes. they come in a pack of three and are pink. they work great!
- Make only small batches, like 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup worth.
- thin layers sand faster and easier since they go on smoother.
- use several small thin layer. they more hardern you add the faster it will harden up and fast you can sand done a add more layers.

I would love to see you finish your Cardboard ODST. i think it looks great! Please!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back