I... am a n00b with big (and dumb) ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellraizrS88

So ive actually been looking around the site but i just registered today. Anyway i found a really nice pepakura model for the ar, downloaded, printed, cut folded, etc. the only problem is, like a true n00b i used plain old paper... so in the end my model turned out a little warped in spots, and i had a really hard time closing it up (i divided the assembly into front and back halves of the gun) anyway i now realize i should have used cardstock, BUT, i hope that i can still salvage the work that i have done here.

So here is my idea/question. One is, although im sure the bottle would be rendered useless, does anyone think that perhaps resin could be put in a spray bottle for application? or would it be to thick to pass through the nozzle? My second idea was to use something other than resin to create a hard shell around my paper model, such as something along the lines as the stuff they use to line truck beds (the stuff that comes in an aerosol) any ideas?

Lotta stuff to ask in one post i know, and hopefully ill have pics of my gun up in a day or so.

Restart, dont rush into a project when you dont have the materials or funds for it, Resin only comes in a can, the kind you use for armor making, no spray on. Even if there was spray on, printer paper itself will absorb it and turn into mush. The Best I can say for you is to restart on 110lb cardstock.

HellraizrS88 said:
So here is my idea/question. One is, although im sure the bottle would be rendered useless, does anyone think that perhaps resin could be put in a spray bottle for application? or would it be to thick to pass through the nozzle?
Theoretically, you can. Simply thin your resin with acetone or MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) and then add hardener to it before spraying. The problem with this is that it will render your nozzle useless after spraying because the resin will cure and harden inside and no amount of thinner will dissolve the resin once it cures, AFAIK. Just brush the resin on. You'll cover it up with your paintjob anyway. Resin job alone will make your pep job fugly.

HellraizrS88 said:
My second idea was to use something other than resin to create a hard shell around my paper model, such as something along the lines as the stuff they use to line truck beds (the stuff that comes in an aerosol) any ideas?
The problem with that is that they contain granules that give them their characteristic texture. Personally, I like putting it inside but not outside. It's up to you. It's more of a personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are industrial sprayers that boat manufactures use. they take th resin mix it with the hardener and then it mixes that with fiber glass strands and the resin soaked fiberglass is sprayed on to the piece. but yo need some big bucks to buy all of this, but it still would be kick arss to have on hand.

^___^V

Falling_Jihad said:
there are industrial sprayers that boat manufactures use. they take th resin mix it with the hardener and then it mixes that with fiber glass strands and the resin soaked fiberglass is sprayed on to the piece. but yo need some big bucks to buy all of this, but it still would be kick arss to have on hand.

^___^V
You must be talking about the gel coat and resin spray cup gun like the one below:
120-sraycupgun.jpg

This one costs $140 but I don't think fiberglass is mixed with the resin before spraying, at least that's not the way I've seen people do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i have decided to try one thing, and if i dont get good results then ill restart.
anyway heres my idea: get some expanding foam, poke a couple holes in the paper and "inject" the foam inside the gun and let it dry, and hope that it fills the gun and reinforces it.

also something i forgot to mention in my first post is that i built a two peice cardboard skeleton for the inside body of the gun that strengthened it significantly, im sure without that the gun wouldnt have even gone together and become a pile of crumpled paper...

but like i said if this doesnt work ill be starting over with cardstock.
thanks for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back