I Found A New Material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatman10

Hey everyone!! As I was looking at Micheals yesterday, I found something. It's called Rigid Rap. If you have ever broken a bone you may be familear with a cast. This is just like it but its a Plaster Wrap. I havnt tried it out yet and ill post back later on how well it works....

i remember hearing about someone who was going to make theirs out of the same kind of plaster cast stuff but they were advised against it because it isn't as shock tolerant as fiberglass.

i haven't even finished fiber glassing my helmet and the parts that are done i could almost say they could hold my weight

Unbadass said:
Is it non toxic, because it might be able to be used by the younger community. Unlike the fiberglass resin.

No it plaster....... And fiberglass resin is HIGHLY TOXIC

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of times plaster is used for mother mold material. Gunna be pretty bumpy for anything else.

Adam said:
lots of times plaster is used for mother mold material. Gunna be pretty bumpy for anything else.

It says on the box it can be smooth..... dont now if that helps the case or not

I think what he is refering to is a material called cast fiberglass, you dip it in water just like plaster, and apply it just like plaster. Its basically fiberglass cloth without the toxidity, and it isnt as strong when it dries. Its also not that great because you have to soak it in water to apply it to the piece that you are working with, so it slips and slides all over the place. Hope I helped any un-answered questions. :)

well anything can really be smooth the thing is how much work it will take to get it there verses using another type of material and though I have not search people say there are already people who have tried that material so I'd just see how they liked or didn't like it and why and if you think its a material that will work for you give it a shot you never really know til you try but why reinvent the wheel?

Fiberglass isn't expensive... And with the proper safety precautions it's easy to work with. Respirator, gloves and goggles is basically what you need when working with fiberglass and resin.

Cheap Armor-on-the-go method might be safe to work with, but doesn't help in the long run.

PBCR said:
No it is plaster....... And fiberglass resin is HIGHLY TOXIC

Only if you drink it or use it improperly eg without safety equipment.

once the resin is set fully there are no harmful vapors or anything. you would only have a problem if you decided to lick it for a prolonged period of time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back