I Got My Own Server... Umm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

Okay, so i just bought my own 'used' server from one of my relatives who is a design leader for the Nokia phone company. Im really excited, allthough i had to pay my ass off for it, but i think it's totally worth it!
Untitled-4.jpg

That's one PB there.. *gulp*

-FSS

Edit, right now it pretty much fills out my entire garage..

LastSpartan said:
Cool. Any pics of the machine? :p

What are you gonna do with it?
I will get some pictures soon, its HUGE!
Im not sure what i will do with it, right now im using it to record ALL the tv shows aired in Finland (5 channels)
Im propably going to sell some disk space too. Im still learning about servers so i dont know much about them.
I think i could host the 405th website though (that would save Adam alot of money :D )
But the maintenance costs are awful, im only powering 5% server right now since it uses alot of electricity too..

-FSS

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have to pay more for your internet though...you'll have to check with your ISP not all of them like people hosting servers...at least here in the states....

Kaya Tetsu said:
You might have to pay more for your internet though...you'll have to check with your ISP not all of them like people hosting servers...at least here in the states....
Im actually going to be my own 'Internet service provider'
The plan is to get a 800mb/s connection, but it might be difficult.. (i have to go through alot of technical stuff, and legal issues with the goverment)

-FSS

Graverobber said:
some people get their very own servers for halo 3 and stuff. if you did that, you'd say good bye to lag forever!
Im still trying to figure out how to do that... =/

-FSS

Graverobber said:
ive seen people do it for cod4....so why not halo? i dont have a lot of knowledge about servers...
I would ask my dad about it (he works on them at work sometimes and my mom does DB work) but my parents are mad at me atm....(somone failed physics....1st 6 weeks)

hey Finnish, could you translate for me, what unit of measurement is being used in your screenshot? if you say that reads 1049576.95 gigabytes to me. i just might stroke.

i think i might want to buy it. i could literally download every single thing on the DC++ server at the university. which, last time i checked at any given moment has about half a petabyte of info on it, or roughly 500 TB

wow, thats over 9000 gigabytes, thats a lot, you have to show us this beast.

lol servers aren't cheap, thats for sure.

Jason 'Biff' H said:
hey Finnish, could you translate for me, what unit of measurement is being used in your screenshot? if you say that reads 1049576.95 gigabytes to me. i just might stroke.

i think i might want to buy it. i could literally download every single thing on the DC++ server at the university. which, last time i checked at any given moment has about half a petabyte of info on it, or roughly 500 TB
Your eyes are not lying, GT=GB (G=Giga, T=bytes) The only difference with the measurement is the language used.
The only problem wiht me hosting the 405th is, that i live in finland, so the site might be a bit slower for you guys =(

-FSS

colmon_9 said:
Why are you watching kindergarten cop?
lol... Well, it's not a bad movie or anything, i mean you got Arnold Schwarzenegger...
Umm... mmm... Hmmm... I mean it's not like teletubbies... A bit off topic, but:

-FSS

Edit, where master chief failed to download 700gb's of pr0n - on a floppy disk (arby 'n' the chief)
That would fit my server easy :p

...Thats a damn lot of space in yer server.
No problems with trying to fit stuff or deleting stuff in next ...crudey measured...58.5 years.
BTW. do not download 700 Gb.s of PrOn, you might get in troubles with people watching what you have in your computer.
And i want to see what beast we are dealing with.

JustMe

Finnish_Spartan said:
lol... Well, it's not a bad movie or anything, i mean you got Arnold Schwarzenegger...
Umm... mmm... Hmmm... I mean it's not like teletubbies... A bit off topic, but:

-FSS

Edit, where master chief failed to download 700gb's of pr0n - on a floppy disk (arby 'n' the chief)
That would fit my server easy :p

Finnish, was that number in the screenshot in gigabytes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back