I Got My Own Server... Umm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, any specs other than how big it is? like RAID level, number of HDDs, power consumption? Just interessted ^^

That being said, being a server admin is stressful at times. Or so I've been told when you've got 20 people going berserk that they can't access anything.

Still, I don't see how you're going to fill the thing... I haven't even filled 250 GB. Lol, so basically you've got a server and don't know what to do with it?

TF_Productions said:
Um, any specs other than how big it is? like RAID level, number of HDDs, power consumption? Just interessted ^^

That being said, being a server admin is stressful at times. Or so I've been told when you've got 20 people going berserk that they can't access anything.

Still, I don't see how you're going to fill the thing... I haven't even filled 250 GB. Lol, so basically you've got a server and don't know what to do with it?

I haven't even filled my original xbox's 8GB drive..
I actually have never filled a HD to capacity in any computer I've ever used.
At the time I was doing animations, I would end up with hundreds of image frames. But only until I had them made into a video. Then the frames were either deleted, of into CDs. I am always conservative when it comes to storing important stuff into hard drives..

Last edited by a moderator:
i've got a pack rat mentality. i've got 1 GB free on my original 80 GB laptop HDD, and 3 in the♠ system recovery partition. Then i have a 250 GB which is half full of movies from the universities DC++ connection everyone hosts, then i've filled up a little under half of my terabyte external.

EDIT/OT: how the hell did that spade get in my paragraph???

CPU64 said:
At the time I was doing animations, I would end up with hundreds of image frames. But only until I had them made into a video. Then the frames were either deleted, of into CDs. I am always conservative when it comes to storing important stuff into hard drives..
Same, after one broke and my last backup was 2 weeks ago, I got RAID and moved all films, etc on to dvds (DVD-RAMs and then DVDs).

Jason 'Biff' H said:
i've got a pack rat mentality. i've got 1 GB free on my original 80 GB laptop HDD, and 3 in the♠ system recovery partition. Then i have a 250 GB which is half full of movies from the universities DC++ connection everyone hosts, then i've filled up a little under half of my terabyte external.
See, I did that, but you are forever going "where the **** have i got space for this?". and then when you're HDD dies, you're screwed. DVDs don't last forever, but 4.7 gb are normally replaceable, and much more easily than 250 GB.

Anyway, Finish i hope you know how to use/manage the behemoth. my dad builds these things for a living (but even bigger, or so I've been told), and I've read some books lying around, and it all seems terribly complicated, and I do consider myself computer tech savvy. You got someone who will help you if the thing fails?

And remember, if you host a game server, you'll need more RAM/CPU-Power than for a file server.

TF_Productions said:
Same, after one broke and my last backup was 2 weeks ago, I got RAID and moved all films, etc on to dvds (DVD-RAMs and then DVDs).
See, I did that, but you are forever going "where the **** have i got space for this?". and then when you're HDD dies, you're screwed. DVDs don't last forever, but 4.7 gb are normally replaceable, and much more easily than 250 GB.

Anyway, Finish i hope you know how to use/manage the behemoth. my dad builds these things for a living (but even bigger, or so I've been told), and I've read some books lying around, and it all seems terribly complicated, and I do consider myself computer tech savvy. You got someone who will help you if the thing fails?

And remember, if you host a game server, you'll need more RAM/CPU-Power than for a file server.

heh simple solution to that was throwing every hard drive in the house from old computers into an old tower and networking it. :cool:

You probably don't wanna use it for a game server. It would make one helluva remote backup system! Come on Finnish! Put a pic of this monster up! I'm really curious to see this beast.

TF_Productions said:

It has a total of 203HDD's, Raid level 1 (i think).
I will get the full specs later.

And yeah, i havent filled my 360's drive yet.. My laptop drive is full though, but so far im recorording ALL tv shows =D

-FSS
Edit: tlither, My camera is broken, is it cool if i take a crappy pic with my webcam?
Jason, You just hold ALT down and hit numbers on the keyboard.. ☺
♥♠♣♦

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back