i have an idea for applying fiberglass resin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathbox

Jr Member
has anyone ever tried to use an airbrush or paint sprayer to apply the fiberglass resin on the outside, or even inside for that matter, of a piece?

im guessing for it to work you would have to open up the nozzle on the airbrush all the way to allow a higher viscosity liquid to be used. the biggest problem i would imagine is getting the bottle off resin off and getting a bottle of paint thinner or acetone or something in there in time to clean out all the resin to keep it from clogging. if an airbrush could be used, or modded for use or even an airbrush type device made, it would make putting resin on a lot easier, faster and even make the coats go on more even. it would also save on the amount of resin used.

i dont know if this would work or if it is even possible, it is definitely something i am going to look into. i was just wondering if anyone has already done it or tried it.

if u put thinners in with the resin in will water in down abit but the resin would come out see through not the orange reddy colour

yeah thin it down with acetone....... then you have to clean it with acetone.... otherwise your airbrush is non workingbut for the amount a normal hobby airbrush holds i think you might not get the effect youre looking for before the resin cures.... and if it cures in the airbrush.... have fun gettin it out

i was thinking of trying to make a spray gun using this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4/R-100392283/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053. the black nozzle attachment would allow for thicker liquids to flow. or make some sort of gravity fed bottle setup that would allow the resin to be pulled down into the air stream using gravity and then the compressor would pretty much just blow it on.

another problem would be the force behind the spray hitting the paper, it might make it buckle. if i could figure a way to create something to spray the resin though, it would be a hell of a way to apply it.

has anyone ever tried to use an airbrush or paint sprayer to apply the fiberglass resin on the outside, or even inside for that matter, of a piece?
That's how boat making companies apply resin on boats. That's why they achieve very even surfaces with this method. Unless you know someone who builds boats professionally and have access to his spray gun, buying one on your own is going too expensive for this purpose. Plus its maintenance is going to be a PITA.

to dilute the resin use denatured alcohol. works really well and does not break down the bonding agents like other chemicals will. use this method all the time to thin the resin for putting thin layers of fiberglass on foam wings in rc. also denatured alcohol can be used to clean non-cured resin off of things (paint brushes / mixers / hands). don't know about the spray idea would be awsome if you can get it to work.

Yeah they use a special setup to spray gelcoat, then the have a neat gun that actually sparays the fibergass srtands of a big spool directly onto the surface. I've thought about this because, being in Maine, you always know a handfull of people that work for boatbulders. But I think that the process would be to heavy for use in this case, unless you had already reinforced the piece you were spraying, and if you'd done that...well I don't think you'd need to spray it anymore right? I was thinking that I would be a cool idea once you had something you could make a solid mold out of, but again the mesthod seems like it would make for more work. As far as cost goes, I think you're still better off with th $1 paint brush and a jar

That's how boat making companies apply resin on boats. That's why they achieve very even surfaces with this method. Unless you know someone who builds boats professionally and have access to his spray gun, buying one on your own is going too expensive for this purpose. Plus its maintenance is going to be a PITA.

Dude this would be much more labor intensive than just brushing the resin on. Number one you'll have to thin down the resin so it can actually flow through the airbrush much more easily therefore requiring like 5-6 coats instead of the ordinary 2 coats. Also the clean-up on the airbrush, you have to open it up and get the gunk out and trying to be careful you don't break the needle and while you're cleaning your brush you'll need a respirator because you're cleaning resin and you're using thinner or acetone. Too much work man. It would be nice if someone did invent a spray resin thing that has easy clean up but for now the original brushing method is the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back