I Haz Recon

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjspear

Jr Member
Ok, so here we go. I'm making both a Mark 6 - Recon and an ODST costume build. I will be molding both at the end for me and my friends to have some fun with.

Step One:

Cut a crapload of pieces of paper out.

IMG_6187.jpg

After this part, find some pieces that look like they match, and fold them. Here you see my very expensive tools that I use. Some piece of plastic that I found, and a blue and black pen (so that I can tell the lines apart).

IMG_6146.jpg

Once you get those pieces folded start gluing them together. I personally like hot glue. It dries almost instantly and is super cheap. I think I got my gun for 3 bucks, and a buttload of glue sticks for about 6 bucks.

IMG_6147.jpg

Here is my pep finished mark 6 helm. I am awaiting on my smooth cast 300 to make a quick inside mold of it. It is a hell of a lot easier to do that rather than the fiberglass. I'm not planning on wearing this helm so I don't want to waste a ton of time with it. I will resin/bondo the outside to get it nice and smooth and the corners the way I like them.

this is Dannyfood4less's helmet.

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

I am now working on making the Recon helm, I've built a few of the chest pieces for the ODST. A lot of them are some SUPER tiny cut outs, would be MUCH easier to just make out of clay and cast, so looks like I will be doing that in the future.

Once I finish my Recon helm I will start work on the mark 6 suit, or the ODST suit, whatever I feel like, we'll see.

I am now working on making the Recon helm, I've built a few of the chest pieces for the ODST. A lot of them are some SUPER tiny cut outs, would be MUCH easier to just make out of clay and cast, so looks like I will be doing that in the future.

Once I finish my Recon helm I will start work on the mark 6 suit, or the ODST suit, whatever I feel like, we'll see.

This is looking great!, i like how you made this into a mini tutorial as well :p, are you making the smooth recon by any chance?

[quote name='GiR3892']

This is looking great!, i like how you made this into a mini tutorial as well :p, are you making the smooth recon by any chance?

[/quote]

Yes Sir,

I am making the Smooth Recon v2, Helmet by Belekor, Smoothening and remodeled by MacAttack64

I will hopefully by going step by step so people can see the process from nothing to finished, usually it's a fully bondo'd helm getting molded or something. I'd just like to try to document each step.

Cope Cowboy said:
Yes Sir,

I am making the Smooth Recon v2, Helmet by Belekor, Smoothening and remodeled by MacAttack64

I will hopefully by going step by step so people can see the process from nothing to finished, usually it's a fully bondo'd helm getting molded or something. I'd just like to try to document each step.

The smooth recon v2 file is great same as the first , I really enjoy documenting my progress , it shows the "accomplishment" in the project

Anyway back on topic which odst helmet are you doing is it the "rookie" or "dutch?

Last edited by a moderator:
GiR3892 said:
The smooth recon v2 file is great same as the first , I really enjoy documenting my progress , it shows the "accomplishment" in the project

Anyway back on topic which odst helmet are you doing is it the "rookie" or "dutch?

I will be doing the Rookie. I however enjoy dutch as a character much more, but don't like the look of the elongated helmet when it's worn by an actual person. I should be updating quite a bit more today. Having this log really does make you want to work on it more, and keep your progress going! It's easy to just set down your pens, paper and exacto, but worth it to keep on going.

Lookie what came in the mail today...

Looks like I will be busy with the mark 6 tomorrow.

IMG_6191.jpg

Not sure if I will start bondoing quite yet. I want to get the other helms done and start getting some of the armor pieces done. Don't want to get to far ahead of myself on just one piece. I like getting everything going at the same time. If I get carried away in just one thing then I seem to forget about everything else. I will try to stay on track with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookie what came in the mail today...

Looks like I will be busy with the mark 6 tomorrow.

IMG_6191.jpg

Not sure if I will start bondoing quite yet. I want to get the other helms done and start getting some of the armor pieces done. Don't want to get to far ahead of myself on just one piece. I like getting everything going at the same time. If I get carried away in just one thing then I seem to forget about everything else. I will try to stay on track with this.

Finished cutting out my Recon helmet tonight. I will start to glue and fold tonight as well. I am heading to the gym right now, but will be home in a couple hours so hopefully work can resume.

So my plan was to resin and plasti the mark 6 helm today, but I figured I would just do the mark 6 and the recon at the same time. So I am now sitting here just gluing the recon together. Not sure how long I will work on it today, but I will try to get a fair amount finished. I want to have them both resined and plasti'd before the weekend is over.

Didn't get that much work done, ended up going to a party and having a few drinks... there is always tomorrow..

So my plan was to resin and plasti the mark 6 helm today, but I figured I would just do the mark 6 and the recon at the same time. So I am now sitting here just gluing the recon together. Not sure how long I will work on it today, but I will try to get a fair amount finished. I want to have them both resined and plasti'd before the weekend is over.

Didn't get that much work done, ended up going to a party and having a few drinks... there is always tomorrow..

Okey Dokey, so like I promised I did work, son.

Took that Recon helmet and just crafted that sucker right up.

When I do these high detail Pep files, my gluing tactics tend to change a bit. What I actually try to do is glue the First triangle, a middle (2) and the last one (3) then I fill in the rest.

The reason I do this is so that it is much more likely that they all line up perfectly. If I go one by one I am more likely to make a small mistake, that will drastically effect the last triangle when I get down to it. This way it almost full prof.

process.jpg

I like to start from teh back and go forward, and make two different pieces. Not sure why, then I just put them on one another and glue together.

IMG_6245.jpg

Then you get a nice looking finished product.

IMG_6253.jpg

IMG_6252.jpg

Tomorrow I will really try to get my resin and plastic done. TRY! No promises. Weather will be crappy, so I will have to do it in my workshop... we'll see how it goes.

Oh my god!!! I did mine the exact same way, about every 4-5 tabs or so I glued the did the rest later. Any way apart from that bit of excitment the helmet is looking GREAT! ,keep it up dude

Ok, I got the resin finished. I go to my Mom's every Sunday for dinner, so I am headed there now, when i get home I will try to get the plastic started, not sure on that though. I need to go to the gym tonight, and just not sure if I will be able to have time for all of this to get finished. Can finish tomorrow for sure though.

Ok first off, if you're going to be working in a semi closed area gotta wear a respirator.

IMG_6255.jpg

Set out all your material and have a game plan before just diving in.

IMG_6254.jpg

I start from the bottom up, and just go around in a circle, then move a few inches up and keep going around. When you're all done set it on a pole so the bottom doesn't get deformed. I used the cardboard tubes from old Paper Towel rolls.

This is both the helms fully resined before they were set on the cardboard tubes

IMG_6257.jpg

Holy quadruple post Batman. Use the edit button please. You should never have 2 posts in a row. Anyhow, looking good so far. Keep it up.

Cheers,

Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back