I Haz Recon

Status
Not open for further replies.
woah nice reconz

Im thinking of taking up that project myself. But im just trying to finish my Mark VI armor first. Not doing so good :/

kensai111 said:
Holy quadruple post Batman. Use the edit button please. You should never have 2 posts in a row. Anyhow, looking good so far. Keep it up.

Cheers,

Kensai

Why? One was at 2am, 5pm, 9pm, and 1am.

I am just curious why it's so rude to post at different times, I am just trying to update to keep a personal log. I am sorry for the problem and I will try to only post once a day in my thread from now on, and only if someone has replied.

mjolnir follower said:
LOL KENSAI,Cowboy those helms are super smexy,good job cant wait to see this too the end.

Thanks. Got in trouble from the girly tonight. Was upset that the house smelled funny. I only used about 3 ounces of resin in the Shed (built on to the garage) and you can very lightly smell it by the laundry room (closest to garage).

Not sure what pieces to start work on yet, think I'll go with some quads.

Ok, so I finished splashing in the smooth cast, Helmets are both hard as rocks now. Before I bondo anything I will be building more pieces, I am happy how quickly these came together, however.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcA5rZR6v-U[/media]

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I finished splashing in the smooth cast, Helmets are both hard as rocks now. Before I bondo anything I will be building more pieces, I am happy how quickly these came together, however.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcA5rZR6v-U[/media]

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

i gotta try that stuff is it more solid then fiberglass? if so i might turn to that , looks way easier to do then glassing the helmets

Ive been thinking about trying this to speed things up a bit, any more vids to show strength? Also how many coats did it take?

Top work, keep it up!

Man both the helmets look exellent! Clean pep job, and Ive also been thinking of turning to smooth cast 300 for my strengthining method, fiberglass is great and everything, but when it comes down too it, the smooth cast trial versions are probably the better way to go. They are cheaper, and they get more covered. And the feedback from that video says it all, plus I happened to see another guy who did this, and the finished product was fantastic. Anyway great job! :)

GiR3892 said:
i gotta try that stuff is it more solid then fiberglass? if so i might turn to that , looks way easier to do then glassing the helmets

I think it could be more solid than fiberglass, and it's sooooo smooth! It was the easiest thing to do too, I can try to make a bit more detailed video of how I do it. I just poor it in, and slosh it around, watch as it runs around the place, and try to get it to drop on each and every part.

Sypher1987 said:
Ive been thinking about trying this to speed things up a bit, any more vids to show strength? Also how many coats did it take?

Top work, keep it up!

I did 4 coats, but they were small amounts, all I had was the trial size box, and it did both my helmets, and I have a little bit to spare. They are both solid as a rock. What else would you like me to do in a video to show the strength? They are both SOLID. This method would be SOOOO much faster and cleaner than fiberglassing each piece, and there would be no jagged edges, the inside is just smooooooove like water

Altair651 said:
Man both the helmets look exellent! Clean pep job, and Ive also been thinking of turning to smooth cast 300 for my strengthining method, fiberglass is great and everything, but when it comes down too it, the smooth cast trial versions are probably the better way to go. They are cheaper, and they get more covered. And the feedback from that video says it all, plus I happened to see another guy who did this, and the finished product was fantastic. Anyway great job! :)

Thank you for your compliments.

Jedi Stumpy did make a pretty great video of the Smooth Cast 300 method, but I can make another if anyone is interested. The way he did it was with a closed lid, I keep my lid fully open, there is more chance of dripping, but it saves a lot of time when it comes to cutting and saving some of the plastic.

just another question though , does it stink as much as fiberglass after its dry or during pouring ?

Cope Cowboy said:
Why? One was at 2am, 5pm, 9pm, and 1am.

I am just curious why it's so rude to post at different times, I am just trying to update to keep a personal log. I am sorry for the problem and I will try to only post once a day in my thread from now on, and only if someone has replied.

The general rule is if the back to back posts are going to be within three or four days it's better to edit and add more info to the post that's already there, rather than double (multi) posting.

That's what I look for anyway, I've merged most now so no harm no foul... just something to keep in mind :)

increadible work so far! i cant wait to start on these on my own. how long has it taken you to do all that you have done with the recon helmet?

GiR3892 said:
just another question though , does it stink as much as fiberglass after its dry or during pouring ?

No smell afterwords, I personally think this is a much safer substance to work with instead of fiberglass, and clean up is soooo easy. I didn't (but should have, only because a couple spots on my fingers look to have glue on them, and I can't get it off) wear gloves, I used two old laundry detergent caps for measuring cups and then poured into one larger cup, there is no mess laying around, and as long as you wipe up with two different rags, there will be no hard as rock dried spots all over your work bench (unless you drip, like I did).

Belakor said:
The general rule is if the back to back posts are going to be within three or four days it's better to edit and add more info to the post that's already there, rather than double (multi) posting.

That's what I look for anyway, I've merged most now so no harm no foul... just something to keep in mind :)

Alright, I will do my best to keep it in one post until people reply. Thanks for the heads up, I am pretty new to this forum and don't know all the policies yet. Thanks for understanding and not just booting me! haha

Ghost147 said:
increadible work so far! i cant wait to start on these on my own. how long has it taken you to do all that you have done with the recon helmet?

I started the recon the day I started this thread. So it has taken me about 4 days to go from sheets of paper to the state it is in now. I don't sleep much though, and I can be a hard worker when I want to be.

Cope Cowboy said:
No smell afterwords, I personally think this is a much safer substance to work with instead of fiberglass, and clean up is soooo easy. I didn't (but should have, only because a couple spots on my fingers look to have glue on them, and I can't get it off) wear gloves, I used two old laundry detergent caps for measuring cups and then poured into one larger cup, there is no mess laying around, and as long as you wipe up with two different rags, there will be no hard as rock dried spots all over your work bench (unless you drip, like I did).

Alright, I will do my best to keep it in one post until people reply. Thanks for the heads up, I am pretty new to this forum and don't know all the policies yet. Thanks for understanding and not just booting me! haha

I started the recon the day I started this thread. So it has taken me about 4 days to go from sheets of paper to the state it is in now. I don't sleep much though, and I can be a hard worker when I want to be.

awesome thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind

I haven't worked on anything since I did the plastic on the helmets. I hope to start on the thighs tonight. I have quite a passion for video games and body building, so I try to do this when I have spare time, but when I do work on it goes real quick. I just get burnt out so quick of cutting and folding the stuff.

Edit: I searched for sizing of crackheads thighs, I measured and I think i'll do a build height of about 42 CM (420mm) is this sound about right for everyone? I am 6'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back