I know this is old hat but FOR MY ANSWERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandu23914

Just about done with all papercrated pieces. Moving on to the resin-ing life. Problem. Never used that stuff in my life before :)
Much like every other noob on this forum I have seen the IndyMoguls video to do with aqua resin. But as a look through forums, i realize that their is other things out there.
I am currently in college, and i can't do a lot of resinning here, but spring break is in a month, and i will be home to do things then.
So my questions are:
1.As a new time resiner, is aqua resin the way to go? If so, how much do i need to do a full set of armor
2. I don't understand curing temps, I know that you have to be at a certain temp, but do all resins need a certain curing temp?
3. Fiberglass goes into all and any resin, and i know you cut it into little pieces to make it manageable, but do you resin, cure, then resin and stick fiberglass on it? or resin, cure, put fiberglass on it, then resin over it? I guess the question is, "What is a noob break down of steps"
4.If aqua resin isn't the way to go, what is, and can i please have instruction for what ever your going to suggest?
5.After that, I hear about applying crafting putty to give details to your armor, what is that all about?
6.Any other information you feel is vital to my making this section?
Thanks for reading, and thanks for dealing with the extreme noobishness :)

I can help with some of your questions. I have never used aqua resin before, most people on the forum us polyester resin found in the automotive section with their fiberglass. First thing you need to know is you HAVE to wear a respirator when working with polyester resin and it HAS to have filters for organic fumes. As for curing temps the hotter the day the less hardener you will want to add to the resin, the colder the day the more hardener you will want to add. That will give you time to use the resin before it cures. It's kind of trial and error as to how much to add in your area. Where I am on a good hot day I only add about 8 drops of hardener to the resin. As for how to apply it the first thing you want to do is coat the outside of the peace with a light coat of resin (work in small sections at a time so you don't warp it) once the outside is covered and dry add 2 more coats to the outside this will give you a good sanding base. On the inside if your using fiberglass you first cut up your fiberglass into workable peaces. (wear gloves) Once you get it all cut up mix up some resin brush it onto the inside and place the fiberglass in the wet resin the brush more resin over it. Just keep doing that till it's all covered. Also depending on the peace you might want to do more than one layer of fiberglass to make it durable.

If you have any more questions PM me and I'll do my best to work them out with you.

I am currently in college, and i can't do a lot of resinning here, but spring break is in a month, and i will be home to do things then.
So my questions are:
1.As a new time resiner, is aqua resin the way to go? If so, how much do i need to do a full set of armor
2. I don't understand curing temps, I know that you have to be at a certain temp, but do all resins need a certain curing temp?
3. Fiberglass goes into all and any resin, and i know you cut it into little pieces to make it manageable, but do you resin, cure, then resin and stick fiberglass on it? or resin, cure, put fiberglass on it, then resin over it? I guess the question is, "What is a noob break down of steps"
4.If aqua resin isn't the way to go, what is, and can i please have instruction for what ever your going to suggest?
5.After that, I hear about applying crafting putty to give details to your armor, what is that all about?
6.Any other information you feel is vital to my making this section?

A fair set a questions. Lets begin...

1: Not necessarily. That video says you can use Aqua resin because its water based and less toxic. Aqua resin is also more expensive and can only be order from their site. Most people here use polyester resin. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon on my first suit. (resining the outside, inside and glassing.)
2: Yes, curing temp is VERY important. If its winter where you are your going to want to wait on using resin until it gets warm. Otherwise it will never dry. Normally good temp is around 65*-80*. there is probably a recommend temp on you can of resin.( You can always make a hot box to use resin during the winter)
3: Resin the inside and outside with a few layers first and let that dry. Next, work in small areas on this part, puts some resin down and lay some fiberglass on it then add more resin on top of it. It should turn clear when you get it wet. Repeat as needed.
4:Like i said, polyester resin is common around here. There are other methods like what we call 'Rondo" This is a mix of resin and bondo body filler mixed at 1:1 to make a slush that dries really really hard. You can even add glass to this to make it stronger, this is called mudglassing. You can also use the hot glue method but its not as good.
5: Right, you have probably hear the words Bondo and spot puddy. This is used to smooth out the armor and make it look more like one part rather then many other parts that were put together. After its smoothed you can go back and carve in details with a roteray tool or what ever else works. This step is NOT required to do you can always skip this.
6: When working with resin PLEASE use proper safety. Where a respirator that can filter organic vapors. Also, make sure you mix the resin hardener and resin properly. to much will dry to fast but to little wont try at all. There are other threads here that can help you too and feel free to hit anyone up with other questions or problems you may be having.

Good luck, partner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back