I Need Wisdom Making Jun A266's Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildBio

Hello!

I am posting this thread because I am getting started in making a Jun A266 Cosplay, and I'm already confused. I've already got the Latest Jun A266 Pepakura downloaded and it's like looking at an advanced math textbook. I see there are files that end in cnm, pdo, and foam. And I was wondering if I'm supposed to only select the foam ones and delete the rest? Because I want to make my costume completely out of foam. Secondly, I've bought 12mm (1/2 inch), 10mm, and 3mm thick foams, and the reason why is because I saw an armor tutorial on Impact Props channel, and he said "we are going to start with the base of the armor" and he shows us 1/2 inch thick foam, then, later on, he says he will add details with different layers of different foams with smaller thicknesses. I also went through other tutorials like the Heroes workshop Build Cosplay in-depth tutorial with him going over a basic helmet and showing us how to use Pepakura and size the dimensions of the patterns to fit your person before printing and things like that. I thought after buying everything I needed I was ready to jump in, but as soon as I opened the halo reach Mjolnir Mkv armor accessory/scout armor files I started getting a headache.

If there is anyone out there who is willing to help guide me and not point me to a tutorial video that only skims over how to use Pepakura, that would be amazing.

Heya WildBio, welcome to the 405th. I'm a little confused on the files you mentioned - can you send a screenshot of their names and extensions? .pdo is the file format for Pepakura, a program that unfolds 3D models, but I don't know about .foam or .cnm and if they are file types or part of the file name.

Without looking at the files I imagine there might be some difference with the pdo and foam file, as they are constructed differently. Where as foam has thickness to it, paper barely does and so needs to take this into account with its unfolds. Pepakura files are also more likely to have small details than foam templates do.

12/10/3mm is a good start for foam. Personally if given those choices to make armour, I'd use 10mm for most of it, 12mm for any parts that need to be thicker/stronger and 3mm for details.

I imagined the difference between the .pdo and the foam files are because of paper being involved, but I'm going to make my armor 100% out of foam, so why to go through the process of buying card stock and putting it together with paper when I can print it and trace is straight onto foam?
pdo vs foam.JPG

You can see the difference on Pepakura between the foam and the "normal" .pdo files that doesn't say foam on it

pdo

yikes.JPG

Foam

thats better.JPG

should I delete the files that don't say foam on it, or what is the plan here?

Here's a link to one of the files I downloaded: Halo: Reach - MJOLNIR Mark V - Scout

• halo-reach-mjolnir-mkv-scout-jun-a266-chest.pdo
    Modeler: Templar Unfolder: jason02
  • halo-reach-mjolnir-mkv-scout-jun-a266-helmet.pdo
    Modeler: B1ahh Unfolder: WRising
  • halo-reach-mjolnir-mkv-scout-jun-a266-helmet-accessory.pdo
    Modeler: Raziel1981 Unfolder: darkness
  • halo-reach-mjolnir-mkv-scout-jun-a266-helmet-foam.pdo
    Modeler: Unknown Unfolder: Pretzel
One of the files says foam ^

but the others don't? What is the difference and am I supposed to print out all of them? and If so what do I do with the nonfoam ones?

hello, fellow Jun. Im also making a Jun cosplay. I used the pdo files and paper. for foam, you will print the files for foam on paper or cardstock which is nicer to trace onto foam. and anywhere there are lines inside the basic shape you can ignore a lot of them. if there is a sharp fold, mark it. you want to simplify the shapes as much as possible. you should check out the forum tutorial section for examples on how to use the foam templates.

it helps to have pepakura open while you're building so you know where each piece goes and it also helps with knowing what angle to cut the foam. you can select pieces in the 2d view and they will highlight in the 3d view.
have you checked youtube for foam smithing? punished props and kamui cosplay have some beginner foam guides. it will give you a better understanding on how to translate patterns to foam.
make somthing really simple first. best to not start with the helmet. try the knees or the thighs first.

you can delete the non-foam files though they can sometimes be helpful.

So it looks like I'm supposed to make my own foam pattern according to this video:

When it comes to the paper, non foam, files.

you can. the point of the foam files are that they already have been made though. also check out random rangers youtube channel. hes in the middle of a series on building foam armor

Ah yep, so you're using the armory files. As you can see they are all .pdo file types - however only the helmet has been unfolded in a way that is more suitable for foam, the chest and helmet accessory have not. Hold onto the non-foam files, in time you might be able to come back to them and modify them to be more suitable for foam. Until then, like Electraknite said, I'd recommend build up skills on a simpler piece that you can happily restart if you want as your skills improve.

So would a good plan be to practice and get the concepts down first with a practice piece. Then print out all the foam patterns, get those done. Then move onto the paper patterns, print those out, put them together, break them down and unfold them into foam suitable pieces, and use that as my foam patterns to finish off my cosplay?

So would a good plan be to practice and get the concepts down first with a practice piece. Then print out all the foam patterns, get those done. Then move onto the paper patterns, print those out, put them together, break them down and unfold them into foam suitable pieces, and use that as my foam patterns to finish off my cosplay?

You only need the files that have "foam" in the name (so long as there is a foam file for every piece of armor).

Start with something small like the handplate. A lot of Reach armor is the same so I highly recommend searching RandomRanger on YouTube where he will show you step by step how he made the same parts you'll have to make.

I believe his videos also link to the files he uses so you can follow along exactly.

You're going to print the foam files onto paper, cut out the paper, trace the paper onto foam, cut out the foam and glue the foam pieces together.

Good luck, happy building and welcome to the 405th!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back