Idea For Guy's Visor (daft Punk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice198

Hey guys, after wanting to build a Daft Punk for a while, and trying to build a Thomas helmet earlier (it failed) I searched around some more and found a Guy file with all the pieces together. Im considering making it, however before doing so, I thought that Id ask you guys what you think about my idea for the visor. You build the helmet in pep, cut out the visor, where the main strip was, you put 2 rounded support beams, then where the next to end you put 2 more, so you have 4 support beams made of plastic or something durable to hold the visor. Next, you take some black window tint, place it on the support beams, so its round, and has decent form, then you do so for the 2 parts on either side of the middle strip. As for the 2 farthest pieces, you leave those in and just bondo them smooth, So you have 3 strips that you can see through, and the 2 farthest you cannot, also for the 2 farthest, you could paint them that rainbow-ish that you sometimes see Guy with. This is just a rough idea that Im still working on, but Id like some input on what you guys think of this.
Also, if you have any ideas, feel free to post them here. - Ice

Are you sure your idea will look like "one" piece? Anyway, "offtopic" that helmet looks a lot like the "haze" helmet...

Socket said:
Are you sure your idea will look like "one" piece? Anyway, "offtopic" that helmet looks a lot like the "haze" helmet...
If you properly layer the pieces you can get it to look pretty close, I would think. Whats Haze? = ) - Ice

Last edited by a moderator:
flying_squirl said:
actualy the haze one looks like this one. ;) :p

i dont think i understand, gotsa pic?
Heres a pic for you guys, it is the regular model, folded in the 3D, the Orange lines are where the supports would be,
They would need to be decently thin but not so thin they dont provide decent support.
So, as you can see, the visor is split into 3 strips, the middle, and the left and right, which would take 3 pieces of window tint if thats what you were to be using. The middle stirp would be pretty easy, just a rectangle, the outer 2 would be rather difficult but could look good if done right. - Ice

I'd try using sheet styrene for the supports. It's easy to cut and definitely strong enough for this.

One problem is that it won't really look smooth like Guy's visor is

The only real way to make Guy's visor is to vacuform one. There is a guy over on The Daft Club who has made a very accurate visor using that method. It's a thing of beauty.

^-^Foxy~>

yubbermax said:
I'd try using sheet styrene for the supports. It's easy to cut and definitely strong enough for this.

One problem is that it won't really look smooth like Guy's visor is
OK, I can see what yo mean for styrene, I can also see what you mean when you say taht it wouldnt be as smooth.
But if this were for halo-ween people wouldnt pay attention to that as much. - Ice

EDIT- Foxy, can you link me to taht? Itd be much appreaciated. -EDIT

Ice said:
Thanks man.
Also, Ive been chatting with LastSpartan and he reminded me of the method that Smilie used to make his ODST visor..
Link here:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10685
Any of you guys think that would work too? - Ice
It won't be smooth, but it'll work if you're not looking for a 100% accurate replica.

If you try it out, let us know how it works.

^-^Foxy~>

foxymcfox said:
It won't be smooth, but it'll work if you're not looking for a 100% accurate replica.

If you try it out, let us know how it works.

^-^Foxy~>
Will do cap'n, Im still mixed on ideas though, so im not sure. - Ice

you could always try one of these sucker

would have to cut it to fit and its see threw able

onv_18_22.jpg

LastSpartan said:
Looks like the cover of a security camera.
Thats what I thought it was, but I wasnt sure, and Im not sure that would work because Guys visor isnt just a full on dome, it has a strange shape to it. - Ice

looks like my cyclone armor im working on, i think that i have an idea but need to get my machine fixed 1st so i can finshed my other visors

link4044 said:
looks like my cyclone armor im working on, i think that i have an idea but need to get my machine fixed 1st so i can finshed my other visors
Whats Cyclone armor? And on the other side of that statement, if it does closely resemble the piece I need, wanna negotiate some business with meh? - Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back