If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the forums should be set up like this. I've been on that site for a few years, and the way it's set up actually works fairly well.

I HATE FEES. FEES BAD. I'd much rather spend my money on supplies.

As a self addmitting noob I must say I would have really liked a little note sent to me saying HERE ARE THE STICKYS, READ THEM NOW! I also think it should be harder to get out of that noob status. I believe I am a "veteran" though my first costume felt nooby, I still feel nooby and am definetly nooby. Also a fee and age limet would help reduce cluter but kill the site. I also think that you should only be able to post for after 5 days being a member, so that you don't just join to ask a stupid question, you have to look first.

LastSpartan said:
I think we should "encourage" more Halo WIPs. I have nothing against Iron Mans, Stormtrooper and everything, but as this is a "Costuming Community of the Halo Universe" and not a "General Costuming forum", I think at least, non-halo costumes/props should be in a different forum.

I think we're already encouraging enough. 75% of the stuff build here is Halo related, I think that's good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
kensai111 said:
@Belakor Here here! Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree on all points. We're definitely attracting big names a whole lot more frequent than the average user is aware. You guys have no idea how many times Bungie employees, Microsoft employees, etc are lurking through here. I know of a few that visit often. I'm all for cleaning up - "Keep It Clean!!"

Cheers,

Kensai

I've always felt that they must have been lurking around on here, even before Frankie and Shiska registered way back when, good to know I wasn't just being paranoid :p

Another minor thing I just remembered, maybe tweak the CSS (or whatever it may be that controls the theme) to make some of the text on the forum a little more readable? Provided it's not a huge deal... it's been a while since I've done any coding for that kind of thing so I'm out of the loop on just how much effort that takes on newer software.

There's just a few things like the pop-up PM window thing and the "Edited post" notification you get when someone clicks that little check box that belnd in real well with their backgrounds. Of course this is if it actually does the same for others and isn't just a browser based problem.

Talking of cleaning the stickies (And announcements, the new forums, that was a while ago), remove the "Yet Another Recaster" as it as been solved ^^  

Belakor said:
I've always felt that they must have been lurking around on here, even before Frankie and Shiska registered way back when, good to know I wasn't just being paranoid :p

Another minor thing I just remembered, maybe tweak the CSS (or whatever it may be that controls the theme) to make some of the text on the forum a little more readable? Provided it's not a huge deal... it's been a while since I've done any coding for that kind of thing so I'm out of the loop on just how much effort that takes on newer software.

There's just a few things like the pop-up PM window thing and the "Edited post" notification you get when someone clicks that little check box that belnd in real well with their backgrounds. Of course this is if it actually does the same for others and isn't just a browser based problem.

I noticed the problem in Firefox. I wouldn't imagine that something like colors would be browser-inconsistant, since most browsers interpret colors in the same way (RGB hex codes).

Anyway, it be just as simple as going to the css file and changing a hex code. I could probably give you the exact line and name of the file you'd need to edit, but I'm sure someone else is capable of that.

Once again, no arguing please.

Dconkid, while your opinions are welcome, the attitude isn't. Not a very mature response regardless of your rights to post those opinions.

While many of these suggestions are very plausible, like I said before to some degree, major forum editing is restricted from all but the Admin. Move, close, and edit is all I or any other moderator can do at this time, but we will try our best to find a way to work these ideas into the forums.

Change the "View new Content" to "View active topics"

Active topics that are being bumped don't show up in this list. 90% of the links in "New content" are pointless threads started in the noob section. It makes it difficult to sift out the quality content from the useless garbage.

Also, put a dimension/size restriction on signatures and get rid of those damn armor progress images, or at least restrict them to their individual armor threads. They unnecessarily slow down an already slow site, and I really don't need to see that Timmy is half way through folding his hat every time he posts "lol good job YOUR paper hat loks awersome"

dconkid said:
It's an opinion. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask for it or don't read it- you have options.

Personally, I'm tired of the flood of 14-year-olds. Anyone else interested in a 405th-for-grownups?

This, I find offencive. I was 14 when I joined, and I have contributed more then some older members here have already.

Potshot said:

405th for grownups?

I've found that while a lot of the members on here who actually accomplish something are adults, there are a few teenagers who do come up with something wonderful, despite their lack of money and experience. Many of the people on here have learned a lot from teenagers. Take Xtremetactis scaling tutorial for example. I know for a fact that every single person who makes pep armor has used his tutorial at one time or another, even though it was written by someone who's only 15.

Thank-you ;) . I'm glad I have made a fairly good-sized impact on the 405th community.

Belakor said:
I wouldn't say that statement is entirely true, nothing against Xtremetactics or anyone else that's created scaling methods but I've only ever used my own methods/common sense and rarely have problems with scale. Regardless your point still stands, we've got numerous mature younger members here and we've had/have numerous immature older members so having an age limit isn't going to help in this case.

None taken...

I too would also like to see a seperate section for the tutorials. It does get hard to keep up with the 10-15 PM's regarding scaling every day...

Possibly the tutorials can only be placed in there by a mod? It would limit the more "useless" or already covered tutorials in there.

Don't you think this is a little ridiculous? The signature is 5 times longer than the reply.

4147615201_7791315dea_b.jpg

14 year olds who contribute quality work to the community in a mature and grammatically correct manner are more than welcome here. If you hadn't told me you were underage Xtac I would have never guessed.

It's the same gaggle of idiots that you run into when playing Halo that I can't stand to see on this site. "HALP HOW I RESIN?" "WHERE I FIND FLIE?" "GIVE ADVISE PLZ" These morons have got to go.

Close registration. Let them read before speaking or learn on their own. This is not a hobby for hand holding. I'm more than happy to share my knowledge, but the hell if I'm going to do your work for you if you can't even be bothered to do a little research and experimenting on your own.

yoda you brought it up before i did! yea maybe we should limit the pictures and links in the signatures. one image per sig maybe?

why... well some members out things in a line nice and neat where its horosontal... like these dashes ---------

but some people put their sigs in a very anoying i have to scroll way like these dashes below

--

-

---

--

---

-

extreme yours is kinda like that.. more scrolling means more time trying to read and find what you want to read on the site... one line one image is all i ask. text line below but no more than one line.

CommanderFluffy said:
yoda you brought it up before i did! yea maybe we should limit the pictures and links in the signatures. one image per sig maybe?

why... well some members out things in a line nice and neat where its horosontal... like these dashes ---------

but some people put their sigs in a very anoying i have to scroll way like these dashes below

--

-

---

--

---

-

extreme yours is kinda like that.. more scrolling means more time trying to read and find what you want to read on the site... one line one image is all i ask. text line below but no more than one line.

Is that a bit better?

LastSpartan said:
I think we should "encourage" more Halo WIPs. I have nothing against Iron Mans, Stormtrooper and everything, but as this is a "Costuming Community of the Halo Universe" and not a "General Costuming forum", I think at least, non-halo costumes/props should be in a different forum.

Usually those threads are placed into the Creation Discussion Forum. Aside from the subforums of that section, there is another forum completely just for random projects non-related to Halo.

Well, if there's anything I wanted better about the forums is some type of gallery or sub-forum, where users could upload their photos and/or topic, and it would be sorted by the project. (ie. Assault Rifle galleries, Sniper Rifle galleries, Mark V galleries, etc.) Viewers could then search through the pictures and see the project. Sort of like the Creation Discussion, except thumbnails could be used, and it will only list finished projects.

This is pretty much because when I want to check out some other projects, searching brings up a topic every time the word is mentioned. This may be unnecessary, but it might have some purpose.

I see some great ideas and I think a great majority of my gripes have been answered. A separate forum for the tutorials/stickies would be nice and if then if somone wanted to maintain it there could be a sticky in each category of the creation discussion forums as a sort of directory or list with links of tutorials relevant to that subforum. For example the pep and cardboard would have links to the scaling tutorials and other such threads.

More moderators would not be a bad idea with the number of members we have. Right now it seems like there are so many members and posts/threads ad day that even if you were all on you wouldn't be able to keep up with it, though the report feature probably helps.

I like the idea of a naming standard for the creation discussion to help determine the topic/contents of threads. Also I like replacing post count with reputation, because post count really doesn't mean anything. As for some members view of teenagers, I think it best to keep my trap shut, having only recently become an 'adult'. I shall only say that I joined while a teenager when I joined and I tried to be mature and learn without bothering too many people that I knew were being bombarded with questions.

As for a Q&A section, if we were able to implement something sort of like Yahoo Answers but on the 405th, it could help keep the flood of questions off the forum. Also - although this may fall slightly under the category of spoon feeding, hand holding or babying - perhaps we should have a sort of 405th knowledge base?

Well I think thats everything. If I think of anything else I'll post here again.

Peter Cooper said:
We must never, ever, make the 405th like Gaia Online. Ever. D:

But their forum layout is pretty good! It's easier to navigate that way, in my opinion.

Peter Cooper said:
We must never, ever, make the 405th like Gaia Online. Ever. D:

completely agree with you there nothing like "emo" teens that rant on how they life sucks

EDIT: @queen: i dont think so i have know idea what stuff means an i find it harder to read one to many topics and got to hit the back button to the general area

I dont mind it as long as it fits with the allowed space given most of these sigs are way way to big an seam to be getting bigger...i wish the sigs were at a certain size an if you load a larger image you get an error message asking to reduce the size

23Magnum said:
While many of these suggestions are very plausible, like I said before to some degree, major forum editing is restricted from all but the Admin. Move, close, and edit is all I or any other moderator can do at this time, but we will try our best to find a way to work these ideas into the forums.

Well, the thing with the hex codes is a very simple edit that would only take Adam a few seconds. I'm sure he could do it.

Yodajammies said:
14 year olds who contribute quality work to the community in a mature and grammatically correct manner are more than welcome here. If you hadn't told me you were underage Xtac I would have never guessed.

It's the same gaggle of idiots that you run into when playing Halo that I can't stand to see on this site. "HALP HOW I RESIN?" "WHERE I FIND FLIE?" "GIVE ADVISE PLZ" These morons have got to go.

Close registration. Let them read before speaking or learn on their own. This is not a hobby for hand holding. I'm more than happy to share my knowledge, but the hell if I'm going to do your work for you if you can't even be bothered to do a little research and experimenting on your own.

No offense, but this "gaggle of idiots" has just as many "adults" in it as teens. I know you guys in college or the military like to pretend that you are incredibly mature beyond your years, but the fact is most of you aren't. What I'm trying to say is that the 20 year old kids we have here need to stop whining about teenagers. It's already been proven how much people can contribute, regardless of age.

Spartan 051 said:
I dont mind it as long as it fits with the allowed space given most of these sigs are way way to big an seam to be getting bigger...i wish the sigs were at a certain size an if you load a larger image you get an error message asking to reduce the size

As far as I know there is no easy way in IP Board to limit sigs size. Of course it would be more than easy to write a quick script with either php or javascript that will limit the size in some way or another. But I don't think unfortunately it doesn't look like Adam will be hard coding anything in the forums soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back