If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
We could have an "Ignore Member" feature. This would help to avoid any unnessary flame wars.

We do already, go to your control panel, then to the "Profile" tab and it should be the sixth option down:

screenshot20091219at330a.png

You can have it set to ignore posts or PM's or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor said:
We do already, go to your control panel, then to the "Profile" tab and it should be the sixth option down:

screenshot20091219at330a.png

You can have it set to ignore posts or PM's or both.

I can't believe I missed that! Thanks!

hey ive got 2 things.

1. have a set signature area size.

with all of the quotes containing pics, the pages get very full, which is annoying, but then you have some massive signatures. could we make it a set size that sigs can only be at a max of 2x6" and any progress images would be (if photobucket'd) set to image thumb instead of the giant 4" tall ones?

many forums do have regs on these type of things and some are very strict, but i think this could help the # of pages we have on each thread.

2. dead and locked threads.

many times when i search i see the [X] marked threads, not sure if these are dead or locked. i think many of these could be sorted through and removed, since it took me 15min to go through the search to find this thread.

LT-GRAVE said:
hey ive got 2 things.

1. have a set signature area size.

with all of the quotes containing pics, the pages get very full, which is annoying, but then you have some massive signatures. could we make it a set size that sigs can only be at a max of 2x6" and any progress images would be (if photobucket'd) set to image thumb instead of the giant 4" tall ones?

many forums do have regs on these type of things and some are very strict, but i think this could help the # of pages we have on each thread.

There is a rule about that:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12248&view=findpost&p=196003

23Magnum said:
Explanations of Offenses:

... Oversized Signatures - Decent signature size is 400x175 for images, and an additional 2-3 lines of text. Max size for signatures is 500x200...

Problem is I have most people's signatures blocked so I don't see them, if someone reports it though I'll generally pull it but otherwise I don't usually see them.

LT-GRAVE said:
2. dead and locked threads.

many times when i search i see the [X] marked threads, not sure if these are dead or locked. i think many of these could be sorted through and removed, since it took me 15min to go through the search to find this thread.

Those are locked. Cleaning them out might be a good idea but it would be a massive task, there's at least 13,000 of them (I know, I locked almost all of them ;) ) and given the random titles people come up with it's hard to pick the decent stuff out :unsure

ok, how about i help you out. ill surf some of the locked topics. ill make a list of useless ones and send them to you.

also i will take any good info, tut's or faqs and make them into a few threads depending on the topics. this way we may be able to cut down on the tut's and stickies, making this place easily navigated. then we can have less new ??? threads.

I have a suggestion that's a bit different. In order to keep up to date with the newest builds, pepakura models, etc... that are pertinent to your build, there should be a way to separate the different types of armor into different categories (I.E Halo CE, Halo: Reach, etc...) As for condensing the stickies, I think that in every section of the forum, there should be 2 stickies, forum rules, and tutorials pertaining to the section that they're in.

bobbio555 said:
I have a suggestion that's a bit different. In order to keep up to date with the newest builds, pepakura models, etc... that are pertinent to your build, there should be a way to separate the different types of armor into different categories (I.E Halo CE, Halo: Reach, etc...) As for condensing the stickies, I think that in every section of the forum, there should be 2 stickies, forum rules, and tutorials pertaining to the section that they're in.

i asked that before and didnt get very good responses. they told me that it would be too hard to do that.

but i completely agree, there should be sections for each model group. halo, gears, ironman, gundam and other.

they can hae their own category with WIP's and tut's in that section.

since i have been making a list of old dead threads, and trying to update the tut's for the ease of new members. i could help out getting this set up. but that means i would have to be a moderator with high level access to change layouts.. i doubt that would happen.

actually making separate sections for armor would be fruitless because well its all too much for no reson.. also people don't post what they should in the right forums some times any ways... so to fix this is if we could sort them in a way as explained in other areas of this thread.. where members or a option for the members to input odst, hyabusa, recon, gundam, and so on before the thread title... then we could also get a drop down menu to sift through each thread so browsing would be simpler.. much easier task and not as time consuming. simple things like this seem to be overwhelming for the staff here so we would rather not try and suggest these things because they (if ever) wouldn't be implemented until one or more mods has admin privileges to do these changes with little talk to adam to make these changes.

(before you read id like to say this is a slight rant and would like you all to take this as if this were a investor talking to a stick in the mud company makeing no future improvements.. that is all)

adam this is a cry out for help from everyone on the 405th i would assume that we need a implemented change and not one over time when you can get to it or when you have time. their are mods and other forum members that can work on these systems and implement everything or most of it with little input from you. and they are also here almost every day. this is a big list (posted on last page) that can be or could be done on the website. time's a ticking.. maybe on the winter holidays you could start knocking these things off the list and give us an update rather than nothing and see if we notice.

i hope someone from the staff reads this. hopefully adam really he's the only one that can do anything on this forum other than lock or delete posts and send warnings and bans... no offence mods but you do your jobs well but your nothing without adam's over watch on everything that can or could be changed... adam your the yes or no guy. staff talk this over and get these things done... you asked for improvements well the community has answered... will you do it with us knowing by telling us with updates or will you keep it a secret you did anything... if anything until one of us notices... i feel really bad for this forum... not for its members but for its staff... great staff.. but no motivation towards bettering the site.

again sorry if im being harsh but what im saying is true... take the time to think of what is needed to be done with our suggestions. all of our good suggestions can be accomplished. they have been with previous invision forum systems.. this one has the same capibilitys. and again im sorry if its a slap in the face... but i feel it needed to be said.

From what I have seen some forum sections like the "Pepakura/cardboard" section has a huge long list of stickies.

You always have to keep on scrolling down to see the actual threads and gets a little annoying.

I have a small idea which might improve both the visibility and easen up the clutter.

What if instead of "19" (literally) stickies on one page you would have 1-3?

Some of the stickies on some sections are really similiar.

I though about an Idea that you could organize the stickies so that for example, all tutorial/technique related topics are linked inside one sticky.

Safety guides like "The Complete Respirator And Safety Guide" would be in their own sticky.

Info threads like "The pep index wiki" or "Paper Weights: Lb To Gsm Conversions " would be in a Single thread.

I think this would be really convinient for new users as well, as if they are looking for a specific sticky they wouldnt have to look at 19 at the same time, they could open up 1 sticky page with links to 6 stickies for example.

This is just an Idea

Thanks for reading

well i tried to condense the stickies so that it wouldnt be a huge mess and there would be A tutorial instead of many.

but i had some pm's asking me to remove it. sadly i think that it is hopeless to change anything around here.

my opinion of this place lowers almost every week with the attitudes and some of the posts that come up.

I think the 405th should have a general armor making section.

To cover multiple medias and armor making outside of Halo etc.

From what I have seen, some people with veteran ranks still post in the noob section.

I think we should really get a similiar thing, but with less n00bs =/

i also had a similar requests of having halo in 1 section split into mk4-6, mk6 variant, odst and marine. then a covenant section. also with the other things that we make like iron man, gow and fallout with their own sections.

then we can look in our section for what we want and not have to sort through the "new" posts.

Just took a quick look into the elite section and noticed a awful lot of incomplete works/build logs in there. I thought the elite section was supposed to be the Hall of Fame that a build log gets put into once it is finished and the work comes out amazing. Having an active build log in there belittles the other forums and makes them seem... dead or at least void of A class build logs that really makes the site seem alive. If the build logs are not findable in the normal forums then there is a problem. The Elite section is the Hall of Fame we all strive for but few get to enter, it should be the showcase for the best craftsmen and their completed projects.

LT-GRAVE said:
ok, how about i help you out. ill surf some of the locked topics. ill make a list of useless ones and send them to you.

also i will take any good info, tut's or faqs and make them into a few threads depending on the topics. this way we may be able to cut down on the tut's and stickies, making this place easily navigated. then we can have less new ??? threads.

THere are a LOT of useful locked/ dead topics though.

well i did try and made a list and sent it to a mod, guess what? they never bothered to write back or delete anything!!!

i wanted to help, but now see thats pointless

I have been thinking about a few things while browsing the forum. Some suggestions:

• Lock most of the stickies. Most of them are purely informative, which means there is no need for people to be able to comment. If someone has suggestions or questions, they can PM the creator or the Q&A team.
  • If the stickies are kept open, or for those that remain open, make them necro sanctuaries. Since they are stickies that are meant to be easily accessible, I would never call them dead topics. Posting a question in a sticky should not be followed by "STOP NECROING!!!"
  • Give the Elite section similar necro sanctuary status. The high quality of the stuff in there will make people want to comment, regardless of how old the threads are. Since it's a very limited part of the forum, I can't really see the harm. Otherwise the Elite threads that are a bit older could be locked too, it's not a very big job.
  • Have someone go over the stickies maybe once a month or so to check that all links and videos are still alive and available to everyone. As an example, 2 out of the 6 videos posted in the Moldmaking for newbies sticky are either removed or private. While it is still great and holds a lot of information, it would be much better if they were maintained since that's where us noobs are told to start out.

Also, some technical stuff that I am not sure if it could be implemented or not, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

• When trying to PM a member with a full inbox, you get a notification that it is full after you have written and tried to send your message. It would be much more convenient if you got the notification immediately when you hit "send me a message".
  • A "new entries" button would be usefull, where the last updated topics from all forum parts would be shown.

AceHigh said:
I have been thinking about a few things while browsing the forum. Some suggestions:

• Lock most of the stickies. Most of them are purely informative, which means there is no need for people to be able to comment. If someone has suggestions or questions, they can PM the creator or the Q&A team.
  • If the stickies are kept open, or for those that remain open, make them necro sanctuaries. Since they are stickies that are meant to be easily accessible, I would never call them dead topics. Posting a question in a sticky should not be followed by "STOP NECROING!!!"
  • Give the Elite section similar necro sanctuary status. The high quality of the stuff in there will make people want to comment, regardless of how old the threads are. Since it's a very limited part of the forum, I can't really see the harm. Otherwise the Elite threads that are a bit older could be locked too, it's not a very big job.
  • Have someone go over the stickies maybe once a month or so to check that all links and videos are still alive and available to everyone. As an example, 2 out of the 6 videos posted in the Moldmaking for newbies sticky are either removed or private. While it is still great and holds a lot of information, it would be much better if they were maintained since that's where us noobs are told to start out.

Also, some technical stuff that I am not sure if it could be implemented or not, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

• When trying to PM a member with a full inbox, you get a notification that it is full after you have written and tried to send your message. It would be much more convenient if you got the notification immediately when you hit "send me a message".
  • A "new entries" button would be usefull, where the last updated topics from all forum parts would be shown.

Point number 1- The largest problem with that is most of the members who wrote the stickies are no longer with us. Because of that they can not answer questions via PM because they do not come by the 405th any more. The Q&A team (most of it) is also inactive, so good luck getting an answer.

Point number 2- The stickies that are still opened ARE necro sanctuaries.

Point number 3- The Elite section is necro sanctuaries aswell.

Point number 4- Links and pictures are not of the moderators controll. They can go into the topic and edit it, but if the photobucket account or something else has been unaccessed by the creator of the account, the pictures may become unaccessable. When this happens, a moderator has no power over it. Unless other members were chosen to supply extra pictures for the thread incase, that is simply not going to happen.

Point number 5- I agree, if this was possible, that would be great, but I believe it is not. If its completely possibly, I stand corrected.

Point number 6- That is what the "View New Posts" button is for.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Point number 5- I agree, if this was possible, that would be great, but I believe it is not. If its completely possibly, I stand corrected.

Well, I don't know IPBoard like the back of my hand, but it should be completely possible to place the line of code that checks for their inbox status before the "open message box" code. At least, from a programming standpoint. Don't know if anyone has the skill to do that, though.

I don't even know what type of code we're running on here. PHP, I'd assume, but I've seen it done other ways.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Point number 1- The largest problem with that is most of the members who wrote the stickies are no longer with us. Because of that they can not answer questions via PM because they do not come by the 405th any more. The Q&A team (most of it) is also inactive, so good luck getting an answer.

Point number 2- The stickies that are still opened ARE necro sanctuaries.

Point number 3- The Elite section is necro sanctuaries aswell.

Point number 4- Links and pictures are not of the moderators controll. They can go into the topic and edit it, but if the photobucket account or something else has been unaccessed by the creator of the account, the pictures may become unaccessable. When this happens, a moderator has no power over it. Unless other members were chosen to supply extra pictures for the thread incase, that is simply not going to happen.

Point number 6- That is what the "View New Posts" button is for.

Point 1: Too bad to hear. The Q&A team seems like such an excellent idea.

Point 2/3: It should be stated in the "warning and offenses" list that they are. It would make noob-life a lot easier I think.

Point 4: I am not asking for moderators to go around the web searching for material that is available to replace the link/video with. My suggestion is simply that if a link or video is dead, remove it.

Point 5: Too bad.

Point 6: Lol, I have been searching for something like that since I found the forum. Can't believe I've missed it. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back