If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the forum Levels should be adjusted.

For example: I needed 60 post to see the Classified area. I burned through 60 posts in, I believe, three weeks. After a month of questions I don't think I am qualified to be a veteran. And I don't think I should be able to take the easy way out and buy/trade pieces yet. This isn't a place to get a halo costume it's a place to learn how to build a costume... any costume.

So a better ranking system with exclusivity to forums based on rank.

I am close to 200 posts and I have found that people who have been here and posted this much have a pretty good understanding of how the forum works. They know not to post something with out Pics. They know to put WTB WTS in the titles they also have better naming conventions for their threads, and often use the sub-header to clarify the topic. I am no where near the level of some of the 500 or 1000 post users but in time I will be as knowledgeable.

So I suggest, Simply raise the level to:

Level: 0-100 Rank: PFC Access to: Only the Noob forum

Level: 101-300 Rank: Staff Sargent Access to: Apprentice Forums

Level: 301-500 Rank: SMS Sargent Access to: Master Apprentice Forums

Level: 501-1000 Rank: Lieutenant Access to: Prop Master Forums

Level: 1000+ Rank: Captain Access to: Elitist

This will allow the Noobs to be Noobs asking Noob Questions and making Noob Mistakes. Over time they will learn the structure and protocol and by the time they have posted 100 times the should know how to read the stickies, create topical posts and how to be contributing members of the community

I am not sure if you really need to have all the different levels of access and the different forums but exclusivity breeds loyalty and ownership.

You won't be able to really regulate the Noob forum and it will be known that this is a learning section both in costuming and forum processes. But in the higher levels you expect more from the users because they should have learned the basics after 100 posts. Then if the higher ranking members what to visit the Noob forum they can, and if not they can seek comfort in knowing that their investment into their craft and the community has given them a place free from the Noobish activity.

Maybe even offer Noobs the ability to "Read only" the higher level threads but not to post and clutter up the forums. This way they can learn from the veterans and still have access to them and their work.

Creating more rules and more stickies won't solve the problem, Noobs will have to be constantly guided and monitored. Which is a good thing because this way they can be molded into the respectable members we would like them to be.

Just a quick, rebuttal, noobs status doesn't always mean your unskilled and ask a lot of questions... I believe the Legendary Rube was a noob when he created his ODST helmet. The current reply to topics but can't create them seems to be fair enough and allows some hidden talents with noob tags to contribute.

chwbcc said:
I think the forum Levels should be adjusted.

For example: I needed 60 post to see the Classified area. I burned through 60 posts in, I believe, three weeks. After a month of questions I don't think I am qualified to be a veteran. And I don't think I should be able to take the easy way out and buy/trade pieces yet. This isn't a place to get a halo costume it's a place to learn how to build a costume... any costume.

So a better ranking system with exclusivity to forums based on rank.

I am close to 200 posts and I have found that people who have been here and posted this much have a pretty good understanding of how the forum works. They know not to post something with out Pics. They know to put WTB WTS in the titles they also have better naming conventions for their threads, and often use the sub-header to clarify the topic. I am no where near the level of some of the 500 or 1000 post users but in time I will be as knowledgeable.

So I suggest, Simply raise the level to:

This will allow the Noobs to be Noobs asking Noob Questions and making Noob Mistakes. Over time they will learn the structure and protocol and by the time they have posted 100 times the should know how to read the stickies, create topical posts and how to be contributing members of the community

I am not sure if you really need to have all the different levels of access and the different forums but exclusivity breeds loyalty and ownership.

You won't be able to really regulate the Noob forum and it will be known that this is a learning section both in costuming and forum processes. But in the higher levels you expect more from the users because they should have learned the basics after 100 posts. Then if the higher ranking members what to visit the Noob forum they can, and if not they can seek comfort in knowing that their investment into their craft and the community has given them a place free from the Noobish activity.

Maybe even offer Noobs the ability to "Read only" the higher level threads but not to post and clutter up the forums. This way they can learn from the veterans and still have access to them and their work.

Creating more rules and more stickies won't solve the problem, Noobs will have to be constantly guided and monitored. Which is a good thing because this way they can be molded into the respectable members we would like them to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have to agree with all Mod comments thus far.

Some new blood couldn't hurt, those that have the time to be on here frequently, maybe from non US times zones that can be moderating the forums when US members are asleep/at work etc.

Also as has been said maybe think about de-ranking Mods who haven't shown themselves on here for several years. We love them, miss them, but at the end of the day what use is an inactive Mod? Bout as much use as a chocolate fire-guard is what.

Also a finalization on the 405th Charter might be a good idea. Then everyone would know exactly where they stood on rules etc.

That charter is turning into 'Duke Nukem Forever'. You know it's coming but you don't know when. ;P

kensai111 said:
Condense and separate the tutorials/stickies. I feel they should have their own forum section right up top. People see the showcase and think molding and these other advanced techniques are the way to tackle armor making and it simply isn't true. There are also multiple stickies all about the same thing just posted everywhere else - condense them into one super tutorial OR atleast clear duplicates discussing the same things. Also we have a few forum sections can be completely removed (Ex: 405th E-Zine, E3 2009, etc). Final suggestion, stricter moderation. EX: Our affiliate ForgeHub has 45,000 active forum members - nothing is out of place due to strict rule enforcement.

Cheers,

Kensai

Seconded.

Some sections are just flooded with stickies and tutorials that are essentially about the same thing. They end up confusing the heck out of everyone, and pushing down all the newer topics that people haven't read 20 times. The idea of having a section just for tutorials is great. Just make a little subforum, and move all the tutorials in it. That way people will know that if they want to learn they go to one place, and if they want to see or ask, they go to another.

Gremlin117 said:
Just a quick, rebuttal, noobs status doesn't always mean your unskilled and ask a lot of questions... I believe the Legendary Rube was a noob when he created his ODST helmet. The current reply to topics but can't create them seems to be fair enough and allows some hidden talents with noob tags to contribute.

Clarification: Noob referencing people who new by standards of one of the following categories: To the 405th, To techniques or materials mentioned on the 405th, to the functionality of the 405th, to the rules of the 405th or any other variation or combination of the previously mentioned.

:)

I'm not new to paper folding, but Pepakura is new to me. I'm not new to the way post boards work but I'm new to the function and rules of the 405th forums.

So it is safe to allot a set limit on the forums to ensure that only quality people contribute to the higher levels of the site where truly the valuable information is stored and collected by true and dedicate forum members hobbyist.

This is not to say that someone can't lurk for a few months read all the threads and in their first post produce an amazing tutorial. I see that a lot. In fact most people lurk, but there those who do not and they just jump in and start repeating questions and long time members repeat teh same answers.

However, incorporating such titles and limits encourages people to be active on the site (instead of lurking), rewards them for dedicating time to the forums helping others and posting progress Pics. All of which continues to build a stronger community.

And I think the Noobs should have a forum where they can post and read all they want. And at times I love reading what new members have to say and what they are working on but there are times where I just want to read and communicate with people at the same level as myself. You know a place where I don't have to see another, "Look what I am making" only to find that there are no pics, and that 5 people started posting the "Pics or it didn't happen". A place where I can trust that the information in a thread is going to be interesting with constructive feedback and questions. (granted I have to say that this is not usually an issue in the Noob Forum everyone is amazingly cool here on the 405th) But there tends to be a lot of quick one line posts about "how cool" something is or "I like that" and no real substance.

And I know I am guilty of this sort of behavior at times but maybe with higher levels and rewards there will be a higher standard of quality we hold ourselves to and a stronger bond between dedicated members.

things ive seen on other fourms that could work here!

topic selections. whats your topic about.... for example you have a wip and your working on odst... great. or your makeing a sniper wip.. great heres how it could look...

topic titles :

[wip][armor]my new chest peice

or

[finished][helmet]my odst is done check it out!

the topic titles the stuff in brackets can be setup like the smiley or exclamtion when you start a new thread. like a thread header. or like the moved or sticky icons that pop up but just a less harsh to look at colors.

----------------------

the ranking system sugested earlyer would make more people want to post. the noob section needs to be reset so noobs can only post in the noob section or start new topics in their till they have 10 posts then they can post anywhere... that used to be in effect now it isnt and i get fustrated because its dissabled at times...

another thing ive seen done on other websites it to prevent the necro posting topics older than 2 months the server automatically locks.. i belive thats a pruneing thing in the admin panel. then only can the topic creator re open the topic to disscussion. this can be dissabled for certain forums like the underarmor and weapons section if need be.

take the chat link off the top of the forums... e3 2009 is dead now... same with the ezine forum.....

is their a way for us to somehow have better updateing to the 405th source... i can never tell if anything is updated because the images barely change at times... lack of newer articles? and the navigation bothers me... but thats just me.

ok so thats my speel on what could help to clean tings up around here. anything else? new skin maybe?

CommanderFluffy said:
is their a way for us to somehow have better updateing to the 405th source... i can never tell if anything is updated because the images barely change at times... lack of newer articles? and the navigation bothers me... but thats just me.

Although this topic is about the 405th Forums I can answer this particular question. As of starting this week the 405th Source is on a rigorous schedule now. While the specific time isn't listed for the articles to go up I'll announce on Twitter when they do go live. Here's a link to the new schedule which states what day what goes up:

http://405th.com/?p=2844

We'll of course be throwing in extra stuff like interviews, con coverage, etc as they happen but these are the GUARANTEED articles. As for changing the layout, yes a few things are being done as we speak about the sidebar. As far as anything else navigation-wise - we have no plans to make any other changes at this time.

Cheers,

Kensai

EDIT: Additionally, I had a chat with Adam concerning the chat tab and getting it linked to the livestream and removing the livestream from the front page.

I agree with most of the suggestions or brought up topics, but there's one in particular that I'd like to address

chwbcc said:

I like this idea. It seems to me that this method could start making the noobs really take the time to look at the forums instead of their... "speed" posting just to reach veteran status. BUT, I think this method should have the abililty to be adjusted by Mods for specific members. EX: If there is a new member that still rushes their post count to a "rank up" will be raised so it takes longer, or if a new member really does contribute and is a valuable member their post count to "rank up" is lowered, because we already now he's got the basics. This method, however, means that Mod count will have to be raised, I believe that - unless we close registration more - there is no where near enough Mods to keep track of everyone. We'd need to get more people up to Mod status to make this work, which would ALSO require more analysis, (not sure how much there is to begin with) of Mod possibilities, and a crack-down on regulations.

But that's just my $0.02

Remove posts counts

Add a reputation feature where people can +rep those who helped, and -rep those who spams.

And we had ranks before. It just made 2x more spam because people wanted the highest rank...

Ranks, could be a good idea if not based on posts. Like on reputation, would be great :)

chwbcc said:

hey a couple of non specific ones would be easyer. alot of websites have these sort of things and heres how they work on the 405th or how i think they should or do..

Level: 0-10 Rank: noob Access to: Only the Noob forum (but can read everything else)

Level: 10-50 Rank: member Access to: most of the forums except classified

Level: 50-100 Rank: Veteran Access to: to everything

Level: 150-300 Rank: Forum Lerker Access to: everything

Level: 300+ Rank: make them change.. add new ones different ones for how much posts you have. forum guru. excentric. forum god... crazy poster... and so on every few hundred but everyone will still be a veteran at heart.

it works on other sites... oh and you know how adam and them have these...

topbrass.gif

[attachment=14108:forerunner.jpg][attachment=14109:hg_donate.jpg][attachment=14110:devout_mem.jpg]

why dont we pust some in for when ranking up... like i dunno... some sites have these..

Site%20Sponsor.png

or

a awards system... kinda like xbox achevements... view examples here http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/awards.php and they show up under your name on the side under all your info. like this http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2510227&postcount=35

just a thought after all.

CommanderFluffy said:

A lot of forums I've owned and been a member of had forum ranks like those.

I found that while they were fun and cool and stuff, they tended to create problems with the newer members. First off, you'd always have someone whining all over the forums about how their rank is noob and they think that's unfair.

Then you'd have the people that spam as much as possible so they can achieve new ranks.

Then you'd have the people constantly nagging admins to add new ranks because they're so cool and whatnot.

I've even been on forums where a member could donate a certain amount of money and they'd get VIP status. Basically they get moved into a VIP group, maybe a different colored name, and the ability to change their rank image and title as they wish. Which is actually pretty cool, but not necessary.

What I'm trying to say is while I do enjoy posting ranks, they act as a big distraction to the real focus of the site.

Agreed, I believe that you should reach a certain post count to start posting in a certain section, but then after that you have to make something or showcase your work, or even just contribute to the site in some way to get to the next rank. Everyone can do something for the site, even if it isn't armor making, you can help others, be a friendly and compatible person and just enjoy what we do, I believe that ranking up should be based on activity in the site, and behavior...not to mention etiquette.

f0xtr0t09 said:
Agreed, I believe that you should reach a certain post count to start posting in a certain section, but then after that you have to make something or showcase your work, or even just contribute to the site in some way to get to the next rank. Everyone can do something for the site, even if it isn't armor making, you can help others, be a friendly and compatible person and just enjoy what we do, I believe that ranking up should be based on activity in the site, and behavior...not to mention etiquette.

Well, that would be great and all. But since there is no such thing as an automated system to detect the etiquette and behavior of members, admins would have to do it manually, which would be too much work.

Im just trying to find a way out of the post rank up method, because as well all know, anybody can spam good job on a wip thread and get their post count to 60 in a day if you feel like spending that kind of time...

Also the Admins and Moderators read topics of all sorts and if they see someone helping someone out, coming up with great ideas, or etc, then thats how they judge, I wasn't expecting them to scan each post.

Hello. I know, :) the first thing you looked at after reading hello was my post count and forum status. You obviously saw that despite having "Veteran" under my name, i am (And fully admit) that I am a newb. So be it. Before I continue, I just want to express my deepest gratitude to the 405th Staff and Moderators. It's just amazing how you all are willing to set up a site- no, a community that is willing to share pep files, experience, knowledge, and insight so openly and charitably. Thank You. I feel that i would like to attempt to give back to this community by offering my suggestions. Its your choice of whether you bother to read them. Ask me to delete this if you want. :)

Back to the point, Here are my clear, to-the-point suggestions. (explanations are below the list)

1. Localize Tutorials and stickies into one forum/subforum In "Armor, Uniform, And Prop Making"

2. Working chat function

3. Post limit per day based on rank

-When i joined a couple of months ago, I read all the stickies, but it took me just as long to find them all. Now, I joined as a somewhat mature teenager, and i highly doubt that a 10-14 year old n00b will bother to go through and search for stickies when they can just post a thread and get an answer, even if they get yelled at. As for tutorials, many people (Especially xtremetactics101) have tutorials that are nothing short of magnificent(his armor scaling tutorial). However, these get lost in the forums, and never show up again.

-I don't know if its my computer, but chat doesn't seem to work.

-Yahoo answers uses this function, so that people don't spam their way up the ranks in one day.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems that i missed the chat function :) Thanks Kensai111!

paid membership, 5$ for a username, or paid posting. 2 cents per post should do it.

fewer immature mods, more mature staff.

less kids. Age 18 minimum would cut out a lot of the noise.

dconkid said:
paid membership, 5$ for a username, or paid posting. 2 cents per post should do it.

fewer immature mods, more mature staff.

less kids. Age 18 minimum would cut out a lot of the noise.

1. Not possible with the forum software - nor would anyone pay those rates.

2. I sure hope you're kidding.

3. Halo Wars is rated T as well as the Halo Megabloks deal - family oriented site and won't be changing - sorry.

*Note: This kind of a response is typical flamewar bait. I'd advise against making replies and continue on with the discussion.

Cheers,

Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back