1st Build imamorron's first build attempt (Halo 2 Anniversary 3d print)

Status
Not open for further replies.

imamorron

Hello,

I have just started my first from scratch build.
MoeSizzlac was kind enough to render the Halo 2 Anniversary Marine armor pieces a few months back so I am going to start slowly building some of those with the help of my 3d printer! I have a new printer so I've slowly been printing off parts larger and larger testing the printer settings (Bed temp, nozzle, print times) for failure points and I think I've gotten it to the point that I am comfortable printing a helmet in halves. My printer prints 350mm x 350mm x 400mm so in theory i could print a whole helmet in one go but that would end up being over a week long print. Has anyone else tried doing a print that long?

In any case this is the file I am starting with, the right side of the halo 2 Marine helmet.

marine helmet 3.jpg
Model by MoeSizzlac
marine helmet 4.jpg
With this helmet I am hoping to eventually mold and use casts for airsoft. For this I've looked at using some smooth on 60D casting resin. Has anyone used this before? from what I've researched it is very strong and should hold up to airsoft and paint ball uses. Are there additional ways to reinforce the resin? I remember someone put out a video about fiberglass reinforced resin Mk 6 chest piece but I haven't been able to find it again.

Additionally I am hoping to be able to fit a working headset inside the "ears" of the helmet on the side for use with either a radio or cellphone. I thing it might be a weird position for speakers as they appear below where a wear's ear would be inside of the helmet. Ill put up a a photo of what I'm hoping to achieve when I get closer to crossing that bridge though.

As of right now I have started printing out the helmet which one half will be done in roughly 2 days if nothing fails in the process!

marine helmet 1.jpgmarine helmet 2.jpg

Side note: This is my first finished 3D print! ghosts facemask from Codd Modern Warfare. the quality is kinda poor (it was taken with a really bad phone camera). I may or my not use this for a test mold before moving on to the much larger helmet when it comes to that point.

Ghost mask finished.jpg

let me know what you guys think! I'll do may best to keep the thread up to date!

Best,

Imamorron.

Hello, please review the following thread:

We do not allow discussion of using our costumes while playing airsoft or as protective gear for any sport. Our costumes are purely for fun and not for protective purposes whatsoever. We are not qualified to provide advice on protective gear.

Any further posts about using your costume for Airsoft will be deleted.

Welcome to the party imamorron ! Besides that little admin note, this build looks like it's off to a good start! Personally I have no experience with 3d printing but there are plenty of people here who do. Good luck with your printer. I look forward to watching the progress you make on this build!

I never did a print longer then 2 days but you could always restart the print from the fail point in a longer print and glue the 2 pieces together. I just have to sink the model into the bed to do this in Cura. Not sure if its that simple in other programs.

A good time and filament saving trick would be to try printing with less supports or none. I can print around an 70% overhang angle comfortably with my Anycubic Chiron. I used this to test my printers overhang capabilities. It's recommended to increase infill to 50% when printing that test model.

Hello, please review the following thread:

We do not allow discussion of using our costumes while playing airsoft or as protective gear for any sport. Our costumes are purely for fun and not for protective purposes whatsoever. We are not qualified to provide advice on protective gear.

Any further posts about using your costume for Airsoft will be deleted.

ok, Byeeeeeee.

hey man, we still love to se people’s builds. Just leave out the whole airsoft bit. Do what you will with the armor. Building for airsoft or paintball just isn’t condoned here. Nothing personal

Last edited:
SI3RRA 117,
I just don't see the point honestly, my plan for this build was to be able to talk with people and try and figure out solutions to problems and create a sort of a research and build thread. However, as Cadet said, he'd make sure those posts would be deleted, cool. I hate when things which don't harm people are blocked for stupid reasons. If the content of a thread was offensive and had lewd content or was intent on causing physical harm to anyone I would agree. This was supposed to be about making something fun, strong and obviously safe for the wearer. So, if I can't do what I would like with the thread and can't ask people to help with solutions it is really a waste of my time.

Sorry guy, I know there is a lack of H2A build threads here and I would love to keep this one going but if I cannot research what I need to continue then I don't see the point in continuing. For anyone who wants to try I got the files from MoeSizzlac here: H2A Marine Armor. The scale seems good enough for me and maybe a tiny bit on the small end of things if you have a larger head I would recommend scaling up 5-10%.

I'm gonna go ahead and move this build to a different site, which I can use to help with the build progress. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very welcome to them.

I'll include a hyperlink once I have a found a decent site for anyone who wants to follow along.

It's been real guys.

Last edited:
I hate when things which don't harm people are blocked for stupid reasons. If the content of a thread was offensive and had lewd content or was intent on causing physical harm to anyone I would agree.

I understand that you feel it is better to talk about it so people will do it safely, but we are not qualified to do this and the moment we allow conversations about it is the moment we condone it. We can't ever allow the 405th to be put in the position of being the reason someone gets hurt.
The 405th is an Organization with liability to be concerned with. If someone uses their armor in airsoft, and not even on an official field but even in their own back yard, and gets hurt, and then goes, "but the 405th told me it could be okay," then we could be in for legal complications.
Please remember that you only have to be 13 years of age to be a forum user here. A 13 year old isn't going to necessarily replicate everything you did that allowed you to test out your theory without being hurt. Heck some adults might not either. And a 13 year old parent's might be willing to pursue legal compensation if their child tells them that "the 405th" told them this item or that item was "Safe" to use and they got hurt.

Even if Command Staff tells a member it is a bad idea and not to do it, but then another member posts that it can work and you should try it, that could still reflect back on the group as a whole either because We allowed the discussion and the comment to happen.

As has been pointed out, we are more than happy to help you make your costume, and happy to make it durable and strong, able to survive being dropped or knocked off a table at an event, but the moment the discussion veers into the item being used as protective gear for a Sport with very specific regulations and standards for safety and gear, we open a can of worms on openly discussing it, because we are not qualified to give input, ratings, classificiations, or clearance on whether an item will meet the Airsoft safety regulations that any ustanding field, program, or event would require.

User imamorron has sent Angela a message stating that if he is not allowed to discuss using his Gear for Airsoft then he would like to be a "Former" Member.

His request has been granted and his account has been banned. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back