Important Information Regarding Halo Source Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're all welcome. I'll go through this in order:

WandererTJ : That's more or less exactly right. Extraction tools exist but I don't have access to them.
Rundown : I'm not sure those files will benefit anybody. Much higher-resolution files exist elsewhere to use.
Azsendi : you're very welcome. I do try to help where I can.

THAT ASIDE: I'm considering taking Wanderer's advice and providing models in a slightly-less-broken-down manner. My thoughts are that each Pack can be permutation-combined to include a system's Helmet, Chest, Shoulders, and potentially other items that may exist for that set (such as the FOTUS Arm and Leg systems) in one single file (again, for example, the FOTUS file would contain the FOTUS Helmet, Chest, Shoulders, Forearms and Leg systems). Files would be uploaded in the following manner:

PACK NAME: XYZ Game Armour Assets
PACK DESCRIPTION: This pack contains armour system packs from XYZ Game. All Rights reserved to The Almighty Gorgonzola Wheel Of Doom
PACK CONTENTS
  • [Permutation A] Male
  • [Permutation A] Female
  • [Permutation B] Male
  • [Permutation B] Female
  • [Permutation C] Male
  • [Permutation C] Female
  • [Permutation D] Male
  • [Permutation D] Female
  • [Permutation E] Male
  • [Permutation E] Female
ALTERNATIVELY:

PACK CONTENTS
  • [Permutation A] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation B] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation C] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation D] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation E] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation F] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation G] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation H] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation I] Male/Female.zip
  • [Permutation J] Male/Female.zip

This SHOULD reduce the number of Packs required, but it would have the negative result of users having to import a full armour set for potentially one single armour piece. The other consideration is that I can ask Art to expand the allowance of each pack to reduce the number of packs needed to contain the assets.

Please let me know which layout would be most optimal, and which you'd prefer. I want to make sure that those of you using these assets find them accessible and easy to use.

As an update: Halo Reach files will be going online shortly. Stand by, Spartans.

So for things (such as the arms or the legs) that are not a part of a permutation, would they be listed standalone, or would they be in a pack of similar files?

So for things (such as the arms or the legs) that are not a part of a permutation, would they be listed standalone, or would they be in a pack of similar files?

Probably in a similar pack - this is why I need feedback.

EDIT: Halo: Reach armours are now online. Some items may be missing and will be included later in an Extras pack (base armours, Armour Ability packs, gametype objectives).

UPDATE 14/08/2014:

After much deliberation, I've decided to begin re-organising the Assets file structure to reduce the number of Packs people have to search through to find the items they're looking for.

Bearing in mind that I can only upload .ZIP files to a maximum file size of 5Mb, at a total of 10 files per Pack, my intent is for the following structure:

PACK NAME (H4 Assets Pack Part One)
Pack Contents:
- Permutation One (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Two (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Three (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Four (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Five (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Six (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Seven (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Eight (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Nine (Male/Female/Textures)
- Permutation Ten (Male/Female/Textures)

Each Armour System archive will contain both the Male and Female pieces for that file, plus the relevant textures required for those permutations - for example, the Air Assault pack will contain the full Male set of pieces, the full Female set of pieces (Helmet/Shoulders/Chest) and all relevant textures for the named files. It's my hope that this will reduce the amount of searching people have to do to find the files they require, as well as to provide people with the textures they'll require.

Armour sets that contain a full system (for example, Helmet, Chest, Shoulders, Arms, Legs) will contain every piece for that set. Armour sets that do not feature a helmet/chest system (Contoured/Outer Plated, etc) will still be likewise grouped.

The Pack Description will clearly mark the contents of each file for ease of searching. Please bear with me and be patient while I get the work done.

Sounds good. Sorry you didn't get any feedback from anyone on what would be a preferred grouping method.
I thought it best if I stayed out of it because I thought since I suggested an alternative, that my decision might be biased.

Any chance we will see the base of the models getting uploaded?
What I mean by this, is having a the model that connects all the armor pieces. Not necessarily the undersuit, but that is mostly what it would consist of.

You know, kind've something like this:
halo_4_chief_wip1_by_dutch02-d4b55hf.jpg
Minus the helmet and the shoulder/bicep armor of course.

I'm sure that Reach and H3 are probably disjointed like in that picture, but if I remember correctly, the Halo 4 model has the entire body mesh for what is under the chest piece. I think the Halo 4 model was also divided into an upper body and lower body and had a pivot around the midsection.

Also, per the arms/legs, are you uploading the FP (first person) models or just the ones from the full body package?
I ask because the FP ones are of a much higher level of detail.

I'm excited to see you adding the textures / bumpmaps.
Do you know if we need a script file to tell the texture how to wrap itself around the model?
I tried to find some information on how to add bumpmaps, but I mostly just found how to create them.

Keep up the good work Arcanine!!! As always, let us know if you need any help.

Yes, you'll be getting the base body parts to work on. And no, I won't be uploading the FP models - we already had this discussion. I've checked, and the FP models (for Halo 4, at least) are identical to the ones you'll find on the main model. Reach's FP arms do have a higher level of detail, and I believe I already uploaded those to the Reach section.

All objects retain their UV unwrap details, so you won't need to use any special scripts - the textures will apply perfectly to their relevant files, or at least, they should.

I'm working on these packs now. The first pack will be going up Soon (TM) with any luck.

Thanks Arcanine! :)

I have another question.
Apparently, for helmets they didn't make fully available, there were in-game dolls (well, there was at least 1 doll).
I personally have no idea if the dolls have an extractable model associated with them, or if they are even worth using at all, but if they are, it would be pretty cool to have them for those special helmets, like this one:
Internally Released helmet.jpg

Any chance of us seeing models for these?

Right, ladies and gentlemen.

After a few days of my guts doing some fairly unpleasant things too vile to speak of in regular conversation (and also from formatting my main hard drive to improve my computer's performance), I'm finally fit and ready to start re-uploading these files. It's my estimate that I've taken the total number of Packs down from fifteen or sixteen to about five - I think, therefore, that the effort I put into reorganising the system has been worth it.

I'll be going through these files slowly and at my own pace over the next few hours, and will keep an update for you all on progress as things go. Once all of the Armour assets are up and online I'll look at re-organising the Weaponry Packs to include their respective textures. Please be patient, and as ever - poke me if I've been an idiot and forgotten something.

NEW UPDATE - Wherein I get sick of multiposting and blow up the entire planet after seven or eight episodes of powering up and screaming.

Since people have been asking how to apply/use these textures, I shall be equally kind and provide you all with a guide so you'll all stop pestering me and I can get back to work on my own armour >.<

STEP THE FIRST: ACQUIRE YE THE PACKAGES THOU REQUIREST FROM YE FILE ARCHIVE

STEP THE SECOND: OPEN YE PEPAKURA

STEP THE THIRD: OPEN YONDER FILE

STEP THE FOURTH: PROCEED YE TO '3D MODEL WINDOW', HENCEFORTH THE 'TEXTURE CONFIGURATION' SETTING

STEP THE FIFTH: PROCEED INTO 'SPECIFY TEXTURE IMAGE'

STEP THE SIXTH: SELECT YE CORRESPONDING TEXTURE FROM YONDER FOLDER CORRESPONDING TO YE FILE IN PEPAKURA

STEP THE SEVENTH: ENJOY THINE NEWLY-TEXTURED FILE AND GIVE THINE PRAISES TO THE GLORIOUS EMPRESS ARCANINE

STEP EIGHT: please stop asking me how to apply these textures seriously I just might cry if anybody else asks :c

Working on weapons, update soon.

All hail the glorious empress Arcanine!

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we really appreciate all you have done for this community. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to start a download festival for all of your packs haha.

All hail the glorious empress Arcanine!

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we really appreciate all you have done for this community. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to start a download festival for all of your packs haha.

The Armour packs are up. Have been since... I dunno. Some time. Things get blurry when you're puking up your ring.

Anyways. Go nuts.

@Arcanine

I hope your feeling better. I've been a bit behind on the happenings of the 405th for the past couple weeks. Now I've got some free time to catch up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to let you know, @Arcanine, that I really like the new organization of the armor packs. Thanks for putting all that work into sorting and uploading them all over again.

UPDATE THE Xth - The 'We Lost Track Of Our Release Schedule Somewhere Past Jupiter' Electric Boogaloo!

Halo 3 Armour assets are now ONLINE! This includes all helmet, shoulder and chest variants, as well as corresponding textures and the base Mk VI body to go with them all. I'll be following this up with the Halo 3/ODST/Reach/4 Weapons sets at some point during the vacation time I have coming up.

Update the 'Oh God Please Kill Me' Version:

I'm taking down the asset packs and re-uploading them - Master Builder and GeekGuardianDee have brought it to my attention that the models I've uploaded don't include the normal data required for applying normal maps, so I need to re-extract the files with the normal data intact for you all to use the normal maps properly.

If you find me dead in the morning, having drowned myself in ice cream in an attempt to ease the pain, please don't cry for me.

Yay fro the Halo 3 Assets! I was waiting for them but I must have missed the OP about it, too bad you have to reset them. Take your time and feel better soon!

Yay fro the Halo 3 Assets! I was waiting for them but I must have missed the OP about it, too bad you have to reset them. Take your time and feel better soon!

The H3 assets -should- be fine. It's mainly the Reach/H4 assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back