Votes: 10 11.4%
  • waist of time

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • stupid idea

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too old (the video) but here is an idea for people with a lot of $$$. Camera on one side (I'm always speaking for a ODST/MC helmet), visor made with flexible OLED screen like the one in the video, then a small computer inside the chest plate which mixes visor hud details (like life) with the camera vision, this gives you a "false" reality. You could also add some figure recon so enemies will be in red and things like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to have a HUD that will not blur because of distance is to project it from the sides (by each ear) towards the visor. It will reflect the same distance away from your eyes. But the visor needs to be modified for reflection and getting the image aligned would be the hardest part of the project.

hello 405th! I saw this forum and thaught to myself, "I owe alot of people on the 405th an apology." You see I am, for lack of a better word, a "Leech". I visit this site at least twice a day to use the ideas and expertise of the 405th's modelers, Pep-ers, sculpters, and engineers to work around any kinks that may arise in my personal builds but I never contribute any of my ideas to help the comunity. This, of course, has all been by accident. It started with me hopping onto the website with the entention of registering, so that i could ask a question, but i would find that the answer to my questions had already been posted in the forums (sorry, Im not the ask questions even after its been answered kind of Noob). As a result I didnt register.
Every now and then I would see a question that I could answer or a problem that i could solve for some one, but I was not registered. with work and family grabbing the majority of my time I just kept pushing the 405th into the back of my mind. Like a splinter, it dug in. Burying itself deep and deeper into my thaughts, the need to register and reply grew more appearant than ever.
So, after reading CPU64's response in this forum I am ready to not only help with this topic but a number of other "visor realated issues that have managed to pop up on the 405th. That is if you accept my apology... :)

The only way to have a HUD that will not blur because of distance is to project it from the sides (by each ear) towards the visor. It will reflect the same distance away from your eyes. But the visor needs to be modified for reflection and getting the image aligned would be the hardest part of the project.

Cpu64 is right, in order to HELP your eyes focus on the HUD, you have to *optically* double the distance inside of your helmet. {EXAMPLE} look at yourself in a mirror, your reflection appears to be twice a far away from you and your eyes hve no trouble focusing on the objects in the mirror accordingly. But, how do we put a mirror inside of a helmet? More importantly how do we see thourgh it? Well kiddies, that is where my first contribution comes into play. It's one of those things that is so simple yet difficult to explain. so ive been working on a video to show how to make it. (posting soon) ... seriously!

Well, some people tint custom visors using a metallizer lacquer like that from Tamiya, which causes it to be reflective. Maybe masking off most of the visor and leaving only the areas you want to have the HUD in and then using said lacquer would work. I mean, you don't need to see through your 'health' bar, since you can't really see through it in the games, and your HUD should, realistically, only be a small space anyway. Again, getting a projected image to line up just right would still pose a bit of a problem in such a small space.

Well, some people tint custom visors using a metallizer lacquer like that from Tamiya, which causes it to be reflective. Maybe masking off most of the visor and leaving only the areas you want to have the HUD in and then using said lacquer would work. I mean, you don't need to see through your 'health' bar, since you can't really see through it in the games, and your HUD should, realistically, only be a small space anyway. Again, getting a projected image to line up just right would still pose a bit of a problem in such a small space.

Ya I agree but i think i see in the Helmet where you could project sait immage

what about a transparent OLED display? then put a thick lens over it to adjust to create focal distance? if you do that well enough there will be next to no adjustment for focusing on the display. OR mount the projector far inside the helmet and use multiple mirrors to get it to the visor, increasing the view distance, and decrasing blurriness. the transparent oled idea sounds best to me

Gosh, you guys are looking to spen some dough.
ok so I have tried to post the visor tut on the net and nothing was working. come to find out that I had my camera set to "stills". all i have is a lame photo of me standing over my stove next to my vac-former. sorry! I am going to redo and Retry.

Gosh, you guys are looking to spen some dough.
ok so I have tried to post the visor tut on the net and nothing was working. come to find out that I had my camera set to "stills". all i have is a lame photo of me standing over my stove next to my vac-former. sorry! I am going to redo and Retry.

alright cant wait to see it

ive already contacted planar for an estimate on a curved custom el display. i have he option to save some money by designing it myself. so now its a possiblility for me

Guys, how bad is just cutting out some clear, colored vinyl and sticking it into the visors?

We CAN'T always replicate EVERYTHING from Halo. Just stick with what you guys can afford and not fill noob heads with crazy ideas like this. I'm am honestly tired of hearing these things. Most of the guys here are TEENAGERS. If you tell them to make an hud display with the money they have, they'll just draw the damn thing on with a bloody marker.

the day will come were we all can put LCDs in the helmits and play halo for real
Really? Well how about we get some guys and find out how make shields, huh?! Wouldn't that be grand!!!! No. There is a fine line between Video games and costuming. We can only do so much without having to break the bank only to have the project blow up in your face. Don't risk it.

It's a fun concept but unless you are making 2 ton bullet proof armor, injecting yourself with growth steroids, and fighting the covenant and destroying halo rings... it's unnecessary and not worth it...

i think a hud with stickers is still pritty cool. who expects a fully functioning hud to be makeable anyways?

Honestly, its just a Costume. HUDs are unnecessary. A waist of money, I'd say. I would love HUD in my helmet but not fully functional ones. Stickers are enough for me. Functioning HUDs are just a burden. It makes your helmet heavier, more electronics inside and if you drop the helmet....bam....there goes your HUD, just gone with a drop.

If you can actually make it happen, I will take back what I say. My thoughts, its a dumb idea.

yea a functionial one i don't see the point, the only way i could see a functional one workig without weight down the helmet is to make a backpack like what jorge had in reach and see if you can run everything from there, thats where i'm gonna put most of my batteries and electrical stuff for the helmet and possible the other LEDS althought i don't see the point in thoughs either just makes a spartan a bigger target..... but as far asa hud i'd atleast want it lit up some

I have to say, I am enjoying all the HUD hate today. For all the talk, nobody has ever made one. That is to say, a guy can dream. I'm certainly not going to stop anyone from trying.

ive already contacted planar for an estimate on a curved custom el display. i have the option to save some money by designing it myself. so now its a possiblility for me
Are you sure you meant to say EL? An EL sheet is already a flexible sheet of paper that glows blue. Can buy that anywhere. EL sheet is opaque when powered off (is pink paper), would make a poor display material.

A few weeks ago I spent some time thinking about making my own LCD from scratch. Turns out the chemical mixes that these company's use are highly secretive.

Other thoughts... check this out!
Transparent LED embedded glass - Wikipedia

What's with all the trolling? When did the 405th become 4chan? Or when did talking about something potentially cool get basically a Bungie Forums "Cool story bro." Type of response?

I have no ideas to contribute to such an awesome feature, but, I post to question what the heck is going on around here that people have to answer with troll-esque responses? It's just not needed.

/Rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back