Interesting theory Resin soaked fiber tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

I was randomly flipping channels and came across "Shark Tank". Felt bored so I just left it there. These gentlemen came out with this product that will put duct tape "Out of business".
So there product is: Fiber Fix.
A resin soaked fiber tape that is activated by dunking in water than wrapping whatever, when hardened it is like steel. or so they say.

http://www.fiberfix.com/

My theory would be, why not use this instead of resin fiberglass? this stuff seems cheaper and NON TOXIC, which is always a plus for me.

Anyone tried this or think this is sound?

While it would be worth looking into, it's actually not cheaper.

The link you provided says you can by a combo pack for $20, which includes three sizes, 1" x 40", 2" x 50" and 4" x 60". That gives you a total area of 380 square inches (or about 2.6 square feet). A single pack of fiberglass cloth runs about $8 for 1152 square inches (or 8 square feet). Factor in the resin at about $25 for a pint that will easily last one if not two packs of fiberglass cloth, you've got a total of $33. In order to match the amount of space you can cover with the fiberglass cloth, you'd need to buy three combo packs of the fiberfix, totaling $60; nearly twice the cost of resin/fiberglass cloth.

That being said, it's still worth a look if you are interested in a non-toxic alternative.

Interesting find.

Having worked in construction for a while, and needing to use Duct tape in a tight spot more than i care to admit, I can safely say that no product that needs to be dunked into water to activate it will ever replace duct tape. While I'm hanging from a roof trying to get a cable to stay put while I get down my ladders to grab the drill I dropped, a piece of duct tape will hold it to the wall, a piece of water activated resin tape won't.
As for using it when modeling, that could be interesting, but the price issues which have already been brought up may make it slightly redundant.

Alright, maybe not cheapers, but the non-toxic aspect is still a plus for people who can't play with toxic items (Sad face).
As for duct tape in a tight spot, I'm sure nothing will replace that, but if you were on a construction site and broke your hammer or shovel (Assuming you work with them) then based on speculative evidence from the sight, I would use the Fiber Fix to repair them for the next day over duct tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back