Introducing myself and the reasons you should read directiong before you start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs dragon

Hello 405th!

I have been a long time lurker of this forum, always enjoying looking at your guys' armor but never actually reading up on it. I decided to join after my gf and I started playing Reach together with friends, it took several months but now we function as a team and we all wanted to make our personal spartans. My ultimate goal is to create my in-game spartan - in full air support armor with jet pack (the armor kat wears). Outside of halo I am an avid foam sword fighter (look up belegarth) so costuming is not new to me. I live in Ohio on a small farm where I practice shooting, mountain biking (I guess trail riding is a better word), snowboard during the winter and play games all to much. I am 19 years old and the manager of a screen printing shop, soon to be part owner (scary)

So now that I have introduced myself, I thought it a good idea to share my experiences in attempting to build my helmet.

This was not my first time making paper models, I have had paper mad cats (mechwarrior/battletech) and f-16's on my desk since I was 8, but it WAS my first time making armor to wear. So naturally I hop on the 405th just long enough to find the files for pepakura and I was off, never bothering to read all those super-helpful threads about armor scaling and the such. First thing I did was print it on regular paper. This might seem like a noob mistake but remember, I've made paper models before, I printed on regular paper so I could get my scale perfect without wasting a ton of cardstock (which out here in the middle of nowhere is slightly harder to come by, taking a good 45 minutes to reach a store which sells the stuff)

So I print it out of regular paper, and proceed to build just the neck part.. and determine this thing is WAY to small. destroy, turn paper around, scale up, re-print. I did this several times until I had this neck piece (never bothering with the full helmet) to fit around my neck... not this is where I will post a message to anyone in the future making this mistake -
READ THE FORUMS!
-
I went ahead and printed my helmet, took 47 sheets of cardstock...

I built 1/2 of it before I realized this thing was WAY to big... WAY...

Got on the 405th, 10 minutes of reading made me realize it is quite common for the neck part to not fit, and you should scale for the helmet part and get creative with any neck cover to get a good fit that you can pop on and off.

Lesson learned,
Thank you 405th members and your totally awesome guides that have helped me thus far. Tonight I will continue to build my - now - correctly scaled helmet and I hope to have the paper model done by the weekend... if it ever stops raining then I'll get to try my hand at fiberglassing/resin!!!

Haha, welcome to the 405th!

There are a ton of threads to help you with fiberglassing, resining, detailing and just about anything else you want to do with your armor.
Get some pictures up so we can see how it's coming along! Good luck, and enjoy the forums!

Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back