Is Emile a left hander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabreTaser

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
In "A Spartan Will Rise" Emile is shown wielding firearms in his right hand, yet when fighting with his Kukri (sheathed on his right shoulder, which would be more favorable for a left hander to fast-draw it from its sheath), he is able to transition seamlessly and wield it with his left hand.

Fast forward to the Halo 5 Noble REQ Pack, the Kukri is no longer on the right Security shoulder, rather, it is on the left, nearer to the left Operator shoulder piece (which would favour a right-hander who is attempting to draw it)

Does this mean that Emile is a left hander? Or is he ambidextrous?

This is a very interesting topic. By the information you have provided alone, I would assume he may be somewhat ambidextrous in the sense that he is more comfortable using his blade in that hand. Maybe this is because he is used to it from training where if he had his primary right hand on a trigger and something were to happen, he could react faster? This does seem flawed, but I assume it is a similar to why all Spartans throw grenades with their left hand... I did see a post somewhere that his leading shoulder is his left, like all Spartans, because when you shoulder a weapon on your right side, you naturally stand at an angle, letting your left shoulder face the enemy. This shoulder has the most armor/protection, and can also serve as a greater base to hold the kukri... his utility is also on his right arm, so we can assume he was originally left handed, but was trained to use both arms "fluently". It would be a shame if a spartan were to lose their life, or prevent a disastrous situation from happening just from the loss of use of their primary arm. You never know what situation you could be put into...

when you shoulder a weapon on your right side, you naturally stand at an angle, letting your left shoulder face the enemy. This shoulder has the most armor/protection, and can also serve as a greater base to hold the kukri... his utility is also on his right arm, so we can assume he was originally left handed, but was trained to use both arms "fluently". It would be a shame if a spartan were to lose their life, or prevent a disastrous situation from happening just from the loss of use of their primary arm. You never know what situation you could be put into...

Now that you mention it, you're right,the Security shoulder on the right would give him more 'cover' if he was wielding his gun on the left hand. I guess you nailed it the best, he's probably a left hander trained to be ambidextrous (although he would still prefer using his left, based on how his armour is oriented)

As mentioned above, yeah I think in a way it's safe to assume that all or at least most spartans are ambidextrous especially spartan II's since they're technically genetically perfect. Nonetheless, all spartans are still enhanced humans, they've got crazy strength so I wouldn't be surprised with their mind to muscle control and stuff. And yes, kinda like the arbiter himself and milanese armor from the medieval times, you'll notice how they got large left shoulder pads because it's meant to protect your "primary" arm.

Just a thought: Spartans are trained from the age of 6 to fight, and even basic handgun courses teach both left and right handed shooting, so it would only make sense they could use both hands.

basic handgun courses teach both left and right handed shooting, so it would only make sense they could use both hands.

Really interesting point! (Haven't had formal weapons handling training before, so this is pretty new to me haha), would this also apply to weapons like shotguns/rifles?

Maybe the augmentation increases nerves strength and accuracy and causes the brain to become symmetrical thus making all spartans ambidextrous?

all jokes aside, I think it's just more convenient to have the knife used on the offhand. The main hand can be used for blocking in CQC because it's much stronger and has precise movement whilst the offhand can be used for the finishing blow since it requires less precision/strength.

It would also make sense that the knife would be used on the offhand at CQC since its for unexpected attacks, using your right hand for a firearm and left for quick grabs. I wouldn't want to drop my firearm just to grab my knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back