Is Grand Theft Auto IV mocking Halo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
starfox64 said:
must destroy
a mockery of halo has no place in the world
Thats what they said about PS3 Fanboys, and yet they seem to exist still.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kraken said:
Aside from the armor and the ring, nothing is related....and I thought that was pretty much not funny at all.
QFT.

OMG dey ahs green arm0rz n k1llz teh al1enz! dey mu5t b3 mak1n fun of teh Hola!

I mean, Halo is THE ONLY game that has a space guy that kills aliens.

EXACTLY. Guys who were offended by this, you are turning out to be the SAME type of person that went menstral over the Golden Compass.

GTA isn't that mush like real life, but they do share certain values.

There are things in it you like, and things in it you don't like. Luckily, the game is made to entertain, so the good outweighs the bad.

in other words...

SHUT UP AND EAT.

xalener said:
Sean. I'm very dissapointed in you.

Not nearly as dissapointed I am in you for not defending Halo's honor. I find your lack of loyalty disturbing.. seriously.

xalener said:
SHUT UP AND EAT

So I guess we should all sit down at the table and eat whats put in front of us eh? Is this how you play games? Again, where is the Halo loyalty? THEY'RE INSULTING YOU AND EVERYONE HERE!

I never attacked GTAIV for it's violence, so you can take your bus pass to Thompsonville and give it to someone who is outraged for other reasons.

I never said that I wasn't going to play GTAIV because of this, I wasn't going to play it in the first place, I've never played any of the GTA games, this just made me more comfortable in my decision. I am more insulted about the commentary of the U.S. Military because I have friends in the service, and they aren't foulmounted redneck warmongers.. well okay they may be foulmouthed sometimes, but thats as far as the comparison goes! :D Most of them are good hardworking people with higher morals and sense of civic responsibility that I could ever muster. They don't deserve to be portrayed like this.

I am not a fan of senseless violence, but I'll defend the rights of the game developer to tell their story. It's just not a story that interests me. Obviously the game isn't aimed at me to begin with. I not implying that others shouldn't play it, I'm just stating my feelings about it. Thanks for the attack.

Tater Mane said:

Are you kidding? Ever heard of Gears of War, Or Mass Effect? Or Resistance? Or Or like every 1 out of 3 games since the 1980's? If they weren't making a comment about Halo they they just as easily used some other game to model their satire after.

BTW, WTF is Golden Compass?

:rolleyes

Tater Mane said:
^Sarcasm I believe^

And the Golden Compass was a family movie that saposidly had anti Christian(or another religion,cant remember)sediments (in the book not the actual movie) so a bunch of parents and church people got outraged and boycotted the film.

This is obviously making-fun of Halo and the Military. I, too, know a few people that are in service and I don't know about you but I would be very offended by this, if I were in the Military. As an avid Halo fan it kind of ticks me off that they're mocking, not just the game but, us. If they were trying to be humorous they failed miserably. I never planed to buy GTA IV either, I've never been a fan of the GTA series but this makes me like them, and Rock Star for including it, even less.

@Sean: The Golden Compass made a lot people mad because of it's anti-Christian writer. In the book they kill God.

Seriously you guys, I am all with Sean on this one. Where is your Halo Honor? Obviously this is a mockery, and it is a terrible one to begin with. I mean, I enjoy the series, others might not, I like the story lines. This really is a downside to my opinion on the game. GTA, heck, Ill play a few minutes of it, then, Ill pop open my Halo 3 case and slide her in, nothing, I repeat nothing, will take my love away from this game, especially, one in which mocks something I enjoy.

Thanks for getting my back guys.

I don't mean to start a battle here about people for or against GTAIV, I think I just reacted hastily to comments made in my direction.

It's all good. If you like it enjoy it and don't let us bother you, if not thats fine too.

Halo honor? Its a game for christs sake. They werent even making fun of it!

I thought it was pretty awesome that the creators took the time to create a parody (parody being used lightly) of Halo.

But I do think the US military references are in poor taste.

I eat anything that doesn't kill me.

Crist.

Please. Enlighten me. answere these.
WHERE are the halo insults?
Where does it say halo sucks?
Where does it mock anything halo related?

It's just knockoff mjolnir armor and a righworld. That of which Halo didn't even do first.

EVERYTHING ELSE about the video was a rip on REPUBLICANS, not the military. Which happens to currently be under Republican custody.
You could say that Halo was ONLY used as a vehicle to get the point across.

Besides, this is the worst of the humor. I've played GTA III It's best jokes are 300 times funnier than this.

Keegan said:
If I were I mod I would have given you a ban.
lol?

And you would have had your mod powers taken away for abusing them.

The "honor" of Halo was not questioned or contested in the cartoon. The only similarities between Halo and the cartoon was the armor and the planet, and yet people are still having $#!T fits over it (not saying anyone here is).

Tater Mane said:
lol?

And you would have had your mod powers taken away for abusing them.

The "honor" of Halo was not questioned or contested in the cartoon. The only similarities between Halo and the cartoon was the armor and the planet, and yet people are still having $#!T fits over it (not saying anyone here is).
I was just stating that you should be serious when it comes to Halo. Your on a Halo Armor Building Website for gods sake. No, Its not just a game, to me, its a hobby. Its a mockery, if they would have stated that it was a Halo parody, without getting rights, they would have gotten sued. Obviously its mocking the game, so, in my point of view, I could point out alot more similarities. End of Rant. End of Arguing Keegan. End of my viewings in this thread. Thank You.

Ah yes, Halo is indeed serious business.

I should take it seriously because I am an active member of this forum.

I would just leave it be,If it is truly that despicable ( or disrespecting ), then it doesn't deserve any attention at all.

First and foremost I felt it was mocking gamers in general.

For example.. "Let's shoot him, I don't give a damn what he's saying, let's just kill him, and start unloading some cans of whoopass SOMEWHERE."

At first, I found that to be kinda' funny... There are plenty of games (Halo included) where I've started shooting at friendlies just to see what happens, and just to shoot something rather than go through all the talking stuff. Didn't you guys try shooting the monitor? or some Marines from time to time?

The fat guys slamming drinks and stuff was kinda' funny too, if you think in terms of gamers, who don't really care about the world they're blowing stuff up in, they just wanna pull the trigger.

The comparison to the real world military was something I didn't like at all. Nor the political tie-ins. It began to feel like a cheesy armchair attempt to make an important political statement, and really only making a fart joke, retarded jokes, and gay jokes. When I was in 2nd grade, I got called to the office for stumbling around pretending to be retarded, saying "Hey look.. I'm the president!!". It was a stupid retard joke, not a political statement at all, and when challenged on it, I admited that I really had no idea what kinda' person the president was, I was just trying to piss some people off, and make the others laugh. That's about all this video was too.

Don't get me wrong, a well executed fart joke will get me laughing sometimes, but all the realworld tie-ins this thing was trying to do just made it look dumber and dumber.. I watched it soley for the Halo tie-in, just to get a laugh at myself, but there was no real substance here.. it was just like those failed Saturday Night Live skits, where the joke goes on WAY past the point it was funny (if it even WAS funny), and you just kinda' wish your life was a little better so you wouldn't have wasted 5 minutes of your life watching the stupid thing.

I wouldn't get the game, but I wouldn't have gotten it anyways. I think their attempt to drag Halo into the mix, was intentional, but all about reaching halo fans, who make up a large percentage of the gaming public. It's a lot like my "retarded president" joke was about reaching the politically inclined... to make me look politically aware and therefore cool and intelligent, while making president fans angry, allowing them to make statements that made THEM look silly for even bothering to make a stand against such a silly attack.

Regardless, it's crap, and a shame they couldn't have made a more positively focused video that would've been cool to watch, and maybe even entertaining. Of course, it probably would've required Bungie's approval at that point, but as Satire, it's entirely legal. Anyways.. Rockstar Games is no newcomer to making enemies sheerly for the sake of getting attention for their games.

xalener said:
Please. Enlighten me. answere these.
WHERE are the halo insults?
Where does it say halo sucks?
Where does it mock anything halo related?

I will, but it the last post I will address in this topic. I just got done saying that I didn't want to start a fight with anyone here, and still you put it back into my court. Fine, but this is the last time I'll get dragged into a debate about this with you.

The entire thing is the insult, the entire thing is mocking Halo. Putting dumb ignorant racist indescriminately violent redneck characters in Halo like armor and enviroments in your videogame is a conscious decision that the developers made to characterize Halo players as such . The very fact that people are recognising the staggering similarities between these characters costumes and Halo armor means that the developers purposefully did this. That is where they went wrong. Charaterizations of the military aside I would have no problem whatsoever with the segment if it didn't look like Halo.. well, other than it being horrible lowbrow humor. But the fact that is does personally insults me, as a fan of Halo.

Emulating the disctinct likeness of a character then having that character perform crude or otherwise repugnant acts is a staple of contemporary satire. The analogy of these characters and the Halo franchise is a comentary.

In other words they don't have to say 'Halo sucks' because they are showing you their satirical version of it. The commentary is the work itself, not the words coming out of their mouths.

Thats all I'm going to say about it. If you don't understand, thats fine with me.

Like I said, like it or not. I won't be bothered any further.

Look, I'm not attacking anyone, and I'm not being disloyal. I'm just acknowledging that the first amendment exists, and if the media pisses us off, we can't do anything about it. Especially a ten minute clip from a 100+ hour game.

What I'm trying to tell you all is that you're all overreacting.
And if the show makes you mad, feel free to shoot the tv, go to the tv station, and tear the place appart. I'm sure you'll be able to do that one way or another in the game.

I think it's kind of funny, even if it's extremely stupid (reminds me of Zap Brannagan's attitude on Futurama) but I think I'm the only one who got the whole character design reference.

Anybody remember this SPACE RANGER

3814-large.jpg

BLTitle.jpg

Pretty similar logo and character designs huh? They just Haloed up the armor a bit and took some shots at the military but the self satisfied redneck stuff is definitely from above or they could be pulling it from Starcraft.

And as for Halo cartoon parodies (not flash). Nothing beats the old Megas episode.

IT'S A GIANT SPACE DONUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back